Thread: Kingston ValueRam PC4200 with potential, but i'm stuck :(

Kingston ValueRam PC4200 with potential, but i'm stuck :(

Hi guys,

I'm following this forum a long time, but just read, not commented or posted. But here I go, my first thread

As I stumbled apon 2 sets of 2GB Kingston Valueram PC4200 with FP-Y5 (rev C) chips on them, I thought I would give it a go to see how far I got.

But now I have a problem. Running fine at 2.15V 4-4-4-12 800MHZ DDR without a sweat 24/7 stable, hours of orthos, gaming, video editing and rendering... But whatever I change above that, my system won't boot. Tried at 450 5-5-5-15, 450 5-5-5-18 up to 2.45V.

My mohterboard is a P5K Premium. So obviously I'm missing a setting which holds me back. Currently I have everything set to auto, except for timings, CPU voltage (1.3V) and memory (2.15V). Should I be looking at North- Southbridge voltages? I only want to see what I could get out of this set, as I don't believe I hit the limit yet

Screenies:

Any comments/suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    to Xtremesystems

400 @4-4-4 doesn't seem too bad for value ram such as that. You could look into loosening the sub-timings and see if you can break past the 400 wall. northbridge voltage may help some. also a little move v-dimm may be needed, though I would try to keep it low to preserve the ram better. good luck.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Hiya mate!

I think you shouldn't test such big gaps like 50MHz at one test, even with loosened latencies that's still a huge gap, even more when considering the original frequency of the RAM.
    You could try with a slightly higher NB voltage, and then clock up in smaller steps of 5MHz, or maybe you could could try raising the FSB in Windows, which is what I do, as you can run stability testing programs to see when they fail.
    And try to stay at a lower voltage, although I haven't heard much about those chips ( who's the manufacturer? ), I think you won't see a gain past a certain voltage. 2.45V might even make it worse because of the heat the chips produce.

By the way, do you have some kind of cooling for your RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Member
    You are welcome!

Try raise the NB voltage and go for more Vdim...
    Tweak the subtimmings, raise them up...
    This is not enought.

Xtreme Member
    Try timings 4-5-4-X and 5-6-5-X. One of the other threads on this forum suggests that these ic's clock much higher with the looser tRCD.
    Conroe : Yonah : Dothan : Prescott : Dual Prestonia

Thanks for all the suggestions... I've tried some more, after reading other threads and fora... Think i've beaten the cr*p out of those cheap ass modules

All tests are done in a closed case, at 21°C ambient (as I want to get the most speed/value for daily use)...
    Max CPU temp was 45°C after 8 hours of continous testing. This screen was taken right after... Temps drop back to 20-22°C after 15 seconds of idle...

Sorry for the language in the screenshot but i'm dutch-speaking

Rams are getting slightly warm (my case has quite good airflow), should I push them some more? I'm quite happy now with this daily setting

Vcore: 1,4V
    VMem: 2,2V
    VNorthBridge: 1,25V
    VSouth: Auto

Xtreme Member
    check out my results with the same chips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=21
    DFI LP UT P35-T2R | E8400 Q743A748 - IHS removed
    Team Xtreme PC2 9600 2x1GB | Auzentech XPlosion
    PCP+C Silencer 750W | 2x36GB Raptors RAID-0 | XFX 7800GT
    Iwaki MD20-RZT | FuZion - 4.4mm - modified ProMount | PA120.3

c[_]
    Not bad, i've got 4x1GB FP-C4 running at 462mhz with 2.25v iirc. 5-4-4-18 2T

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got some a-data value PC2-5300 up to 510 MHz, cas5, 2.25v

one module survived the attempted 2.3 and 2.35v runs, it did not respond well to voltage above 2.25v

Sounds like a memory controller issue to me. Try taking 2 modules out, and try again.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Team TForce Xtreem ARGB 3600C14 2x16gb XMP
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: EVGA (rip) RTX 3080 FTW3
    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850w
    Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
    NVMe: SKHynix P41 Platinum, Samsung 980 Pro 2tb
    SSD: Micron 1100 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    HDD: WD SE 2TB, WD Black 1tb 3 platter with over 10 years of power-on time