Thread: Inexpensive Copper Heatsinks - Anyone Have a Good Source?

Xtreme Member

Inexpensive Copper Heatsinks - Anyone Have a Good Source?

I'm looking for some inexpensive copper sinks to use for various
    projects, such as adhering some to suspended HDDs for thermal
    transfer, etc...

Anyone have a cheap source of copper sinks of varying sizes?

TIA

EBL

Xtreme Member
    so far this place looks to have some decently priced smaller cooper sinks:

http://www.surplussales.com/Heatsinks/HeatSink1.html

Or I could canabilize the sink from this:http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/item/13188

ack... 9-bucks to ship it though

Xtreme Addict
    No copper, I have access to tons of aluminum HS's from old 486's and pentium 100's. You know those old 2-3 inch squares. But they are really only good for cutting up into smaller ram and fet sinks. Although if you know how to drill them acurately you could use them for oversized SB sinks as they redily take about any fan that allows the screws to sit within the edges.

I have a bunch of these types. The smaller ones in the front make excellent ram sinks as the base is very thin and the fingers are fairly dense. And they weight almost nothing.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 03-04-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    No copper, I have access to tons of aluminum HS's from old 486's and pentium 100's. You know those old 2-3 inch squares. But they are really only good for cutting up into smaller ram and fet sinks. Although if you know how to drill them acurately you could use them for oversized SB sinks as they redily take about any fan that allows the screws to sit within the edges.

I have a bunch of these types. The smaller ones in the front make excellent ram sinks as the base is very thin and the fingers are fairly dense. And they weight almost nothing.
    How hard do you think they wold be to mod for HDD sinks? (plan on adhering
    them to the sides of hard drives using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive...)

Thanks.

EBL

Xtreme Addict
    All you would need is some Thermal glue or if a non permanent solution is desired then you simple drill mount holes or make a contraption that holds the sinks in place. Like a few rubberbands or something.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme CCIE
    Before you go sticking heatsinks to hard drives, I want to make sure you have read the Google research paper on the effects of heat on hard drives. The heats you'll see in most consumer and enthusiast enclosures are well within the range that is good for them. The basic idea to impart here is that we all know they fail most regularly due to mechanical failure, and mechanical failure is most likely when everything is cooler (joints are stiffer, lubricants more viscous, etc).
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Serra has a point but I don't think this guy has any plans for going sub-ambient In the end though there isn't a whole lot of need for hard-drive sinks, just a little air-flow and they'll stay under 40C.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Before you go sticking heatsinks to hard drives, I want to make sure you have read the Google research paper on the effects of heat on hard drives. The heats you'll see in most consumer and enthusiast enclosures are well within the range that is good for them. The basic idea to impart here is that we all know they fail most regularly due to mechanical failure, and mechanical failure is most likely when everything is cooler (joints are stiffer, lubricants more viscous, etc).
    These will be decoupled from the PC chassis, hence will lose the benefit
    of that additional heat dissipation & thermal transfer... which is why I'm
    looking into attaching sinks to counter that.

EBL

u shouldent need them use smart to moniter the temps and they wont go into the 80c range unless u have a sealed box thats non conductive like a wooden crate
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    according to Everest, my hard drives are at 25°C right now. even the hard drives in TiVo's aren't cooled. they just don't get that hot.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xMrBunglex View Post
    according to Everest, my hard drives are at 25°C right now. even the hard drives in TiVo's aren't cooled. they just don't get that hot.
    Perhaps I'll just create my suspension system and monitor temps
    for a while to see how it goes...

EBL

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SP1 View Post
    Thanks for the link

EBL

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBellyLint View Post
    These will be decoupled from the PC chassis, hence will lose the benefit
    of that additional heat dissipation & thermal transfer... which is why I'm
    looking into attaching sinks to counter that.

EBL
    A lot of people here just run their hard drives mounted on elastic bands with no issues, so you should be ok.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    A lot of people here just run their hard drives mounted on elastic bands with no issues, so you should be ok.
    Cool. I guess the only drive I'm at all concerned about is the 15K RPM
    boot drive.

EBL

Xtreme Addict
    Will the torq of a spin up/down cause a suspended drive to swivel? Or doent it matter.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    Will the torq of a spin up/down cause a suspended drive to swivel? Or doent it matter.
    Even if it did, the suspension system should readily absorb the force.