Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD demos 45nm at Cebit.

Hybrid View

Xtreme Addict

AMD demos 45nm at Cebit.

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/0...rs-server.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_155...l?redir=45nm01

No mention of speeds, but suffice it to say they have operational 45nm CPUs.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Banned
    I clicked the amd link and wanted to read the q&a on 45nm but got a 404, same for the press release link.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin_The_Martian View Post
    I clicked the amd link and wanted to read the q&a on 45nm but got a 404, same for the press release link.
    The links works perfect for me.

Edit: I take that back. Not working for the Q&A.
    Last edited by freeloader; 03-04-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    The links works perfect for me.

Edit: I take that back. Not working for the Q&A.
    It's up now, they must be reading XS

Pics look nice, q&a dissapointing though as no performance indications can be found. Or did I look in the wrong place?

Xtreme Member
    404 -- processor not found!

Xtreme Mentor
    So these are first pictures of Shanghai:

That big yellow surface would be 6MB L3...

Comparison with Barcelona:

Last edited by Nedjo; 03-04-2008 at 08:11 AM.
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    So these are first pictures of Shanghai:

Is it just me, or do these chips look like they have more cache than the Phenoms? I'd love to see the L3 operating at full chip speed as well.

Xtreme Mentor
    So other than a process shrink positive stuff, what new features can we expect from it?

Xtreme Member
    The L3 array is in the NB clock domain, so I don't expect to be in sync with the cores in this 45nm spin off. And above this, K10 has to maintain a specific (async) clock rate for the NB so to avoid weird DDR2 speeds, as it was the case in K8 architecture.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    The L3 array is in the NB clock domain, so I don't expect to be in sync with the cores in this 45nm spin off. And above this, K10 has to maintain a specific (async) clock rate for the NB so to avoid weird DDR2 speeds, as it was the case in K8 architecture.
    Damn. I'd take the weird DDR2 clock speeds just to have the L3 run at full core speed. I believe the trade off would be worth it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Damn. I'd take the weird DDR2 clock speeds just to have the L3 run at full core speed. I believe the trade off would be worth it.
    Then it might as well be L2 cache, the whole point of cache hierarchies is that the lower levels of cache can be slower and therefore have higher capacities without jacking up the cost.
    Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P//Dell Latitude D620
    Phenom II BE 940//Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper//1GB PC5400
    640GB WD Blue//80gb 7200 rpm hdd
    Radeon 4850//Geforce 7300 Go

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    DDR2 clocks speed isn't reason for async speed of L3 in comparison to the cores.

As you aware K10 can independently clock all four cores, but since they must continue to communicate despite different clocks, clock of L3 must stay unchanged…

It would be excellent if L3 would run in sync with cores, but 'cos of thermal budget you must make tradeoff there, and it's proven that gain from core clocking is always bigger then from L3 clocking.
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Coat It with GOOOO
    • Ultra-low-k Dielectrics. In some later 45nm products, AMD plans on using ultralow-k dielectrics to reduce wire delays by as much as 15 percent and enable greater overall processor performance.

• High-k/metal Gates. As part of AMD’s Continuous Transistor Improvement (CTI) approach, AMD has the option to introduce high-k/metal gates into 45nm production to further enhance transistor performance. The “gate first” approach, developed with IBM, is designed to provide a simpler, less time consuming way to migrate to high-k metal gate technology and secure benefits that include improved performance and reduced power consumption.
    Doesn't look like they have everything working quite yet.

Edit, but I must say, the chips do look a little more gracefully put together then barcy, and the extra cache could be very cool.
    Last edited by Blauhung; 03-04-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Addict
    lol...

A common misconception is that being first to a new process technology generation is
    the fundamental determinant of performance and energy efficiency leadership. AMD has
    proven this to be false.

Rather than the more costly and higher-risk method of making a full technology
    transition every two years, AMD uses a unique and highly efficient method called
    Continuous Technology Improvement (CTI).

CTI allows us to maximize the benefits and increase the return on investment of a single
    process technology generation for as long as possible by evolving and improving the
    transistor designs within that generation. This is why at many points in our history our
    processors and platforms have remained competitive, even when compared against those
    from our competitors based on the next process technology generation.
    AMD Q&A PDF
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    Well if you don't factor in any overclocking at all, the statement is probably true.

Xtreme Member
    ...so it means end of the summer we will see some power point presentation without any real benches ,then late winter next year(maybe next CeBit!?) a "running" PC with the new cpu inside will be secretly demoed in a dark room under full nda ofcourse and nobody will be allowed closer than 5steps from it...and maybe,maybe 2 years from now if the stars are aligned in the right configuration we will be able to buy some "early" released cpus which will hopefully work as advertised...
    great stuff,im really excited,promise i wont be buying any Intel Quads runnin 4GHZ at 1.35v in the meantime.All Hail AMD
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AAbenson View Post
    ...so it means end of the summer we will see some power point presentation without any real benches ,then late winter next year(maybe next CeBit!?) a "running" PC with the new cpu inside will be secretly demoed in a dark room under full nda ofcourse and nobody will be allowed closer than 5steps from it...and maybe,maybe 2 years from now if the stars are aligned in the right configuration we will be able to buy some "early" released cpus which will hopefully work as advertised...
    great stuff,im really excited,promise i wont be buying any Intel Quads runnin 4GHZ at 1.35v in the meantime.All Hail AMD
    If you want to troll about Intel do it somewhere else not here. You're the first, I'm also bad for responding to it but keep the thread on topic please

Xtreme Addict

Don't turn this into a bashing thread. Everyone here and their grandmother knows about AMD's previous problems. Let's hope they can go forward with good success so we can all benefit from better prices and performance.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    This is exciting. Deep down a small part of me wants to play with a Phenom and K10.5 might give me the option to do it without the performance part of me disowning the rest of me.

...so it means end of the summer we will see some power point presentation without any real benches... blah blah blah
    It is a very good thing my name isn't in a darker color or you'd have a temporary vacation. Rawr

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    This is exciting. Deep down a small part of me wants to play with a Phenom and K10.5 might give me the option to do it without the performance part of me disowning the rest of me.
    LOL, thats kind of how i feel after getting this phenom rig, but if 45nm is really as good as they say it is then i guess it was worth it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    LOL
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Last edited by Power5; 03-04-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Well..they can show it working now, it stands a chance of being on-time

cautiously optimistic
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Banned
    Architecure > clockspeeds?

K8 vs netburst?

True, both off them but they do not have any bearing on that snip. Snip is about an excuse on how they can not keep up with intel's design teams and fabrication plants simply because their r&d is way way to low which they offcourse don't want to admit to so they want you to believe it's intentional.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where is the demo? All I see here is a press release and some die photos.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast