Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Phenom 9100e First Pics & Review

Xtreme Cruncher
    BrowncoatGR,i raised the same question(basically) in my previous post,too.

X.I.P.
    Trying to be polite? I did not catch what you want to say

We are just discusing..not fighting...everyone got to be always and everywhere polite...or else we may be characterized as animals

We discuss to learn more and be better..right?

there is a new version of both Sandra and Everest that added proper support for Phenom
    What do you want to say with proper? Those programs identified the cpu perfect ! This review is being generated close to 1 month, so, some programs are the latest versions from then...

Also i didnt see any mention whether you ran the tests with memory in ganged or unganged mode
    If you look the second pic on the second page on the amd system , the cpu-z says "ganged"

The other "wrong" results on some progs seems to be bugs from the motherboard ...
    Pls check here :
    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...threadid=91249
    When Mercedes brought their C111 to Talledega years ago and blew away the closed course record did it count? Yes..
    That was a "factory" car and a "one of" that no one could buy and was never sold.
    Records are records and that is a fact so get over it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    GoriLLakoS,what about the mentioned very low results from the Winrar that indicate the TLB fix was actually turned on(and killed the performance of 9100e even more than the singlethreaded nature of the very test did)?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GoriLLakoS View Post
    Trying to be polite? I did not catch what you want to say

We are just discusing..not fighting...everyone got to be always and everywhere polite...or else we may be characterized as animals

We discuss to learn more and be better..right?
    Was just trying to point out that i was very carefull with the wording i used.
    What do you want to say with proper? Those programs identified the cpu perfect ! This review is being generated close to 1 month, so, some programs are the latest versions from then...
    The problem was with the memory bandwidth not beeing reported correctly.
    If you look the second pic on the second page on the amd system , the cpu-z says "ganged"
    You are right i missed that. sorry
    The other "wrong" results on some progs seems to be bugs from the motherboard ...
    Pls check here :
    http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...threadid=91249
    Dont you think that using both the TLB patch and a bios that does not work properly, makes your results unrepresentative of what a user should expect from a similar setup?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

X.I.P.
    From my point of view, the reviewer always writes what he saw on the specific time of the review.

1. The mobo did not recognize the cpu , and we changed the bios.

2. The TLB i think it may be visible on higher speeds and not on those speeds.
    Check those results here :
    http://techreport.com/r.x/phenom-tlb.../sandra-bw.gif
    We got more around 7180.

3. Also take on mind that the cpu is sample and it is B2 Stepping.

Last, we run the tests as a customer would run them if he was going to purchase those setups without optimizing something.
    The results are pure as we get them...if the hardware have problems, bad for them...

I totally agree with you that something on the AMD setup is not working properly, but if someone purchase it right now, he will face the same things.

Did you understand my point?
    I am not a fanboy of intel or amd...and i am not trying to push intel.
    But the results are a small sample of what is going on right now on this platforms

EDIT : Off course, with the time passing, most of the bugs will be fixed, but this is the image we have in our mind for the time being.
    Do you agree with this?
    When Mercedes brought their C111 to Talledega years ago and blew away the closed course record did it count? Yes..
    That was a "factory" car and a "one of" that no one could buy and was never sold.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    9100e looks nice and with TLB errata fix disabled will make good entry level workstation.

Xtreme Addict
    From my point of view, the reviewer always writes what he saw on the specific time of the review.
    1. The mobo did not recognize the cpu , and we changed the bios.
    I assumed that this was the case. My point is that this makes your results totally unrepresentative in regard to every other motherboard a user could use. In essence you compred a properly functioning system with a system that was performing below its capabilities.
    2. The TLB i think it may be visible on higher speeds and not on those speeds.
    Check those results here :
    http://techreport.com/r.x/phenom-tlb.../sandra-bw.gif
    We got more around 7180.
    I meant the bios fix not the bug itself, but i does look like it might not enabled and its just the mobo acting up. I think though techreport was using the version that wasnt reporting mem bandwidth correctly.
    3. Also take on mind that the cpu is sample and it is B2 Stepping.
    Yes and it seems all new chips hve appeared as b3 versions only at least here in Greece(even all the tricores are B3). Which is why i think the results you posted are not representative of the capability of the cpu and what most users will experience using the cpu. That obviously doesnt mean that the e4700 isnt a better cpu for all single threaded and lightly threaded apps.
    Last, we run the tests as a customer would run them if he was going to purchase those setups without optimizing something.
    The results are pure as we get them...if the hardware have problems, bad for them...

I totally agree with you that something on the AMD setup is not working properly, but if someone purchase it right now, he will face the same things.

Did you understand my point?
    I am not a fanboy of intel or amd...and i am not trying to push intel.
    But the results are a small sample of what is going on right now on this platforms

EDIT : Off course, with the time passing, most of the bugs will be fixed, but this is the image we have in our mind for the time being.
    Do you agree with this?
    Yes i understand your point but it seems to be a problem isolated to the motherboard being used. Additionally it is a bios issue that is going to be worked out in a few weeks. As such any reader not aware of ths will make wrongfull conclusions. At the very least you should mention that the processor was not working at its full potential because of problems with the motherboard. It is also quiteclear tht AMDs platform still has teething problems and that should also be mentioned in the cons.
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 04-15-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the review.

Do you still have the 9100e?
    If so, could you run some tests (preferably games and some winrar etc) with the tlb patch disabled?
    Last edited by Cooper; 04-15-2008 at 05:04 AM.
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

X.I.P.
    We almost agree on most of the performance feedback...i will try to re-run every benchmark when the final B3 will come out , i will re-check to see what the heck is going on

Regarding TLB, there was TLB on all the progs, but there is no a bios setting to disable it..only a (semi)hide button on AMD overdrive to click on it and disable it in win...

Voudas(the guy that made the review) will re-run all the progs with no TLB and add the results(but it may take some time )

So, we are looking forward for the B3s and new results...

X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_A View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Do you still have the 9100e?
    If so, could you run some tests (preferably games and some winrar etc) with the tlb patch disabled?

You are welcome

He is running averyhting without TLB and will add them soon enough.

PS .All the test results are 1.5 month old, so please do not bite us :p

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great!
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

I am Xtreme
    You are welcome

He is running averyhting without TLB and will add them soon enough.

PS .All the test results are 1.5 month old, so please do not bite us :p
    Nice work! Looking forward to the next round of results!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Reporter: Mister Ruiz, how much does AMD profit from selling one Phenom 9100?
    Ruiz: ...
    Reporter: Uh, sir?
    *crickets chirping*
    Most processors cost ~$5 - $40 to manufacture.
    oh man

Xtreme Member
    can you Oc the phenom to 2.6ghz and rerun de 3dmark benchs?
    GAME-AMD x6 1055T|ASUS M4A870TD|8GB DDR3|HD5858|SSD RAID0|Seasonic!700w
    VMWARE-E6420|Asus P5Q-VM|4GB|320GB|BEQUIET!600w|
    NAS-Via 1.5 GHz ITX|Dual Gigabit|1gb ddr|2*3TB WD
    MbP 13"|C2D 2.53GHz|4gb DDR3

Barton 2600+@2800mhz SuperPI 37s Sempron 2800+@2665mhz SuperPI 35,5s OLD SCHOOl
    -Apple Iphone 3g |X10 mini Pro 2.2.1|Nintendo WII|PS3 Slim

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    The Phenom is actually a very nice CPU guys you should try it you may even agree Mine is at 2800mhz @1.23vcore Stable!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by N00B View Post
    can you Oc the phenom to 2.6ghz and rerun de 3dmark benchs?
    More than likely, NO! Common thinking is that if they had Headroom, AMD would have sold them as higher end models. This is similar to the *most 3500 and 3800 Dual Cores. Now, extreme and voltage might let it overclock some but I'd be surprised to see more than 1.9 to 2.1GHz over volted and etc....

Yet, it'd still make a great Home Server processor or etc.... I can see these sell in that quickly growing Home Server market.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2370...-server-market

http://www.physorg.com/news98621889.html

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS6378793892.html

Be that home server Linux or MS, I've seen more of them as I visit folks. Even folks with multiple laptops showed off that old Destop now setup as a File/Home Server. Here, this 1.8GHz QC would make a great fit Or is that bashing AMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Mine is at 2800mhz @1.23vcore Stable!
    OMFG

Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    The Phenom is actually a very nice CPU guys you should try it you may even agree Mine is at 2800mhz @1.23vcore Stable!
    Well then you're very lucky, since most phenoms cannot reach that speed at all, let alone on a low vcore like that. That's exactly why most people think phenom isn't all that nice
    Rig 1:

Rig 2:

Laptop

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_A View Post
    Well then you're very lucky, since most phenoms cannot reach that speed at all, let alone on a low vcore like that. That's exactly why most people think phenom isn't all that nice
    Actually if you take a look at the AMD section most B3 9850s can do at least somewhere between 2.8-3.0Ghz at stock or near stock volts. Its the TDP that is limiting AMD in this case.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Well, this depends on alot of things. If you want to play todays games, then dual yes, but what if you want to enjoy games for few next years and ain't that interested in all those fancy gfx effects etc? Games which can utilize 4 cores will be faster with QC machine, if not overclocking etc. At least when comparing to DC CPUs @ $100-130 price, I think.

...completely another story when starting to overclock that rig.
    if it's not good enough for today it won'
    t be good enough for tomorrow

Xtreme Addict
    We almost agree on most of the performance feedback...i will try to re-run every benchmark when the final B3 will come out , i will re-check to see what the heck is going on

Regarding TLB, there was TLB on all the progs, but there is no a bios setting to disable it..only a (semi)hide button on AMD overdrive to click on it and disable it in win...

Voudas(the guy that made the review) will re-run all the progs with no TLB and add the results(but it may take some time )

So, we are looking forward for the B3s and new results...
    Thank Voudas for taking the time to redo the tests. I know he probably spent a lot of time working on this already, so thats to be commended.

Xtreme Member
    I think it could just OC quiet nice, since its a 65w model, but i guess i have to buy one and test it.
    GAME-AMD x6 1055T|ASUS M4A870TD|8GB DDR3|HD5858|SSD RAID0|Seasonic!700w
    VMWARE-E6420|Asus P5Q-VM|4GB|320GB|BEQUIET!600w|
    NAS-Via 1.5 GHz ITX|Dual Gigabit|1gb ddr|2*3TB WD
    MbP 13"|C2D 2.53GHz|4gb DDR3

Barton 2600+@2800mhz SuperPI 37s Sempron 2800+@2665mhz SuperPI 35,5s OLD SCHOOl
    -Apple Iphone 3g |X10 mini Pro 2.2.1|Nintendo WII|PS3 Slim

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just saw 9500's are available for 110euro's.. wonder what these babys are gonna cost
    Rig 1:

Rig 2:

Laptop

Banned
    @GoriLLakoS
    Thank you for the very good review.
    It would be nice if you can find and add an E7200 and a Phenom 8400 to the charts. Both are in the same price range as the Phenom 9100. Also you should have tried OC-ing. Most of us here are interested about the CPU OC-ed. And of course if you can translate in English the entire review it would be very appreciated and helpful for many people around the world.

Anyway if I can find it around for 100 euros I'll buy one for experimenting. I hope it'll be stable OC-ed to 2.4GHz cores/2GHz NB&L3 and as such I guess it'll be an upgrade of my 2.8GHz OC-ed Brisbane.
    Last edited by gOJDO; 04-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.

X.I.P.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast