Thread: Cool CPU and northbridge

Xtreme Member

Cool CPU and northbridge

i'm looking to build a couple silent HTPCs. so in order to do this i'd like to find the coolest running intel CPU and northbridge. onboard video isn't need since i'll probably go with a palit 960tsx.

i'm going to try and watercool everything, not sure if it's going to fit in a htpc case though.

so i'm looking for suggestions on the coolest running nb and cpu's. thx in advance.

I am Xtreme
    E8300 and P35 based mobo mate no worries of heat at all... if ya run it stock ofcourse....
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    E8300 and P35 based mobo mate no worries of heat at all... if ya run it stock ofcourse....
    i was thinking about the LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS, but my 965S-Dark runs so much hotter than my P5B Deluxe and my Commando.

the setup i was thinking of was an E8400 and the DK and running CPU/FSB at 8x233. then undervolting as far as i could for 24/7 stability.

I am Xtreme
    get an E8300 or even an E6600 at ebay then.... as 8400 has 9 multi... I don't see the point buying a beefy CPU and underclock it massively... better get a cheaper alternative and go AMD CPU as 4600AM2 CPU's almost cost zero zilch... same for the mobo's...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    i figured an underclocked 8400 would be able to run on lower volts. i've used a bunch of AMD media center systems, i even own a couple, i've used a couple in stores..... the AMD based ones are sooooooo sluggish and the video playback often skips, the system is overall hotter because the cpu runs at a much higher usage. plus for MCE2005 you need to install a bunch of dual core patches just to get it to work. so i'll definitely avoid AMD for any media center considerations.