Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Benchtec 3 Stage Cascade

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the comments guys but as said before none of this would have been possible without the help and support from both Bazx and soddemFX over the years as I have learnt so much from them, so credit goes out to them as well when giving the -100c Club I think -10c should be handed out to both of the guys for their input over the years.

There is still a long way to go yet though before this unit is done, tuning the second stage will be the hardest part as I have got to knock off at least 10c, then there’s the case to sort to keep all the goodies safe and sound, but will keep you guys fully updated with the progress.

Hardware Nightmare
    Great unit. Most beautiful i've seen
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

-150c Club Member
    I'd imagine you should be at a lower temperature, especially with the size compressors you have. Sdumpers 3 stager unloaded once fully tuned in the -140C range easily.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    I am curious what it does fully loaded and tuned.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    iam at a Bit of a loss end at the moment due to not being able to test any loads due to waiting on a watt meter as my one has finally given up the ghost, so I thought I would spend this week and maybe a bit of next week sorting out the case panels ready to be painted.

As you can see I have started to put things together and the size of this unit has even stunned me even though I have built it, without the case panels on it do not look that big but you can see the size of this system is big.

I now have the sides on and have just got to fix the top part once this is done I will be marking out all the holes for the condensers/desuperheaters and some fancy air grills this I will be getting cut out, hope fully this should all be done by the end of next week then it’s off to the painters for a few days which will give me time to load test and tune this cascade.

Here are some pics of the side panels in place.

Whoa. That thing looks like it could eat a small child, lol.
    Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.25G 24/7
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280
    EVGA nForce 790i FTW (THANKS VINCE!!)
    CoolerMaster Stacket 830 SE
    ULTRA ChillTEC
    OCZ SLI-Ready DDR3 2000mhz EPP 2.0
    Saitek Eclipse II
    Razer Deathadder
    Sceptre 24in

-150c Club Member
    Could?
    Has.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

-100c Club
    Is that insuation on the suction line really thick enough? I would recommend another wrap of e.g. 40/19mm (diameter/wall thickness) insulation tube minimum.

The unit looks magnificent!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tiborrr View Post
    Is that insuation on the suction line really thick enough? I would recommend another wrap of e.g. 40/19mm (diameter/wall thickness) insulation tube minimum.

The unit looks magnificent!
    Thanks for the info, I have this covered with an over cover of extra insulation if needed, but lots more testing is needed first before adding anything or any alterations, but thanks for pointing this out as this shows others would might be needed in extreme situations.

There is still a long way to go before I will be happy with how the unit is cosmetically and its performance so there will still be loads going on before it is complete, but will keep you all updated with what is going on.

(o.O)
    wow. beautiful craftsmanship and impressive layout work with the piping, wiring, clean lines all over. how many hours did you spend designing this before going into the build itself? I can't wait to see how this does under loads!

Good luck with the rest!!

Master of nebulah frost
    Really beautiful work
    Battlefield 3: Nachthymnen666

Xtreme Member
    Top notch work Sacha!! I'm going to take a page out of your book and try to paint my copper lines on my next build...your end result just looks plain classy.

Xtreme Addict
    dude that is so freakin sweet. been away for so long, and I come back to this beauty. very nice!

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well guys, been having the same problems as bazx with the R14 refrigerant, so it was time to put some R1150 in the last stage and get some benching done, this unit is rock solid at -105c with 1.95v on this E8600, I will still be looking to make this cascade cooler but for now it’s time for some benching, I will be running a few thought the week but for now here is a SPI 32M that I did, I think I can improve on this a little and will aim for sub 8 seconds.

Anyway here is a pic of the test I did today at 5.9 Gig.

GOOD WORK!!!! :-)
    Shocker-Crew.de

-100c Club Member
    looking good mate and a very tight 32

we will get to the bottom of r14
    1. The first rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    2. The second rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    3. If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the the benching is over
    4. No bummers in the batcave, apart from unkie dave
    5. One Bench at a time
    6. No air, no water
    7. Benching will go on as long as they have to
    8. If this is your first night at Bench Club, you have to Bench

Xtreme Enthusiast
    y not mixing r50 r1150 and r14?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sacha35 View Post
    I will still be looking to make this cascade cooler but for now it’s time for some benching
    You English and your dry humor Nice job Paul

approaching aphelion
    Well guys, been having the same problems as bazx with the R14 refrigerant, so it was time to put some R1150 in the last stage and get some benching done, this unit is rock solid at -105c with 1.95v on this E8600, I will still be looking to make this cascade cooler but for now it’s time for some benching, I will be running a few thought the week but for now here is a SPI 32M that I did, I think I can improve on this a little and will aim for sub 8 seconds.

Anyway here is a pic of the test I did today at 5.9 Gig.

Nice one.

What's going on with R14?
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

"I prefer to fly alone... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me..." Col. René Fonck (1894-1953), the Ace of Aces.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    I think I can improve on this a little and will aim for sub 8 seconds.
    That would be more than a "little improvement".

All joking aside...that's a beautiful piece of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

-100c Club
    One off-the-side, what are the quotes on R14 you guys are getting?

Xtreme Member
    Big gas supplier in Austria (price incl. IVA):
    1046,64€ for 6kg (which would equal 174,44€/kg)

edit: IVA is 20% here.
    Last edited by godmod; 10-08-2008 at 10:36 AM.

i paid about 160€/kg. Thats normal price.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by before View Post
    Nice one.

What's going on with R14?
    Thanks for the heads up guys, i don't know why i could not get the R14 to work correctly, i could get the evap down to -140c, but then the temps would start to rise and the suction would go into deep vacuum and the high side would start to creep up as if the cap tube was blocked, i did a few tests and found that at -105 the cap tube would block solid, so i thought oil problems or moisture, so changed out the oil for some zerol 150 and deep vacuumed down to 60 microns and still the same problem, as you know i am running the cascade at the mo with R1150 which goes down to -110 with know problems at all, good suction and high side pressures, so it is if the R14 just does not want to flow or it thickens up at a given temperature.

I will be trying outer things latter on to get this to the temperature i want but for now its a bit of fun and loads of benching to do as i have been out of the game for around 6 months so theres lots of catching up to do.

-100c Club
    Impurities in your refrigerant maybe? Swapping to a larger diameter captube? Just a few ideas...

Greets,
    N.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast