Page 176 of 180 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 4486

Thread: Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors

Xtreme Addict
    I haven't done any temperature testing with a 2600K like I used to do in the good old days with the Core 2 CPUs.
    Maybe someday.

Xtreme Addict
    I see, but my GUT feeling tells me it still like the Q6600 ~10c above ambient.

Xtreme Addict
    @unclewebb

Any chance you can get the new Max option that reports the highest temperature in the moment quickly added to the RealTempGT executable for Westmere/Gulftown chips? I really like that option in the new version of RealTemp and I know that the change has to be pretty trivial (the code just needs to compare the polled values and report the highest at any given instance in time). Please let me know I would really appreciate it!

Xtreme Addict
    If anyone else needs the above, just ask. I've got an updated version of RealTemp GT but it hasn't been tested very much. dejanh is happy with it so far.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    If anyone else needs the above, just ask. I've got an updated version of RealTemp GT but it hasn't been tested very much. dejanh is happy with it so far.
    Looks to have one bug...after a while the interface goes bust and the app has to be shut down and restarted. Possibly a memory leak of some sort. Looking forward to that fix hehe

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would be happy to test new version.
    Maximus 5 Gene | i7-3770K @ 5GHz | ADATA 2x2GB @ 2.6GHz 9-12-10-28-1T | HD7970 @ 1200/6400
    Rampage 4 Extreme | i7-3930K @ 5GHz ||| X58-A OC Orange | i7-980X @ 4.6GHz

Xtreme Addict
    RealTemp GT 3.64
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8

dejanh put me to work and helped me get RealTemp GT fixed up for the 6 core users. There haven't been too many requests since Sandy Bridge arrived.
    No more memory leak and it can report the highest core temperature in the system tray now so you don't have to look at all 6 cores anymore.

The download also includes i7 Turbo GT 1.30 which has Sandy Bridge support and the correct version number on it. Thanks stasio.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    RealTemp GT 3.64

dejanh put me to work and helped me get RealTemp GT fixed up for the 6 core users. There haven't been too many requests since Sandy Bridge arrived.
    No more memory leak and it can report the highest core temperature in the system tray now so you don't have to look at all 6 cores anymore.

The download also includes i7 Turbo GT 1.30 which has Sandy Bridge support and the correct version number on it. Thanks stasio.
    Thanks!

There will be more interest in it when socket 2011 arrives with 6 and 8 core CPU's, so you better start working on RealTemp X2 with 8 cores support.
    Maximus 5 Gene | i7-3770K @ 5GHz | ADATA 2x2GB @ 2.6GHz 9-12-10-28-1T | HD7970 @ 1200/6400
    Rampage 4 Extreme | i7-3930K @ 5GHz ||| X58-A OC Orange | i7-980X @ 4.6GHz

Thanks Uncle!
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Addict
    I'm happy to report RealTempGT 3.64 is working as expected. No more memory leak. Thanks uncle!

Xtreme Member
    unclewebb, I've been using your Real Temp 3.60 (which BTW I really like) and I've noticed an odd occurrence which I'm hoping you can shed some light on.

When attempting to calibrate idle temperature on my HP 311(Atom N270) Real Temp disregards my changes on subsequent sessions. I used the setting control panel to make the change and checked the RealTemp.ini when the settings reverted. The entries are present but aren't reflected in operation.

I understand the idle temperature likely isn't measured accurately on my CPU and that the distance to TJmax/pref is probably accurate, still I'd like to adjust the displayed temperature to correspond with OCCT, Everest and such which are doubtless closer to reality since room temperature > reported CPU temperature. Can you reccomend a way to accomplish this short of changing idle calibration settings each session?
    Last edited by Nightstar; 06-28-2011 at 09:53 PM.
    OCZ, where life-time warranty means until we're out of stock!

Xtreme Addict
    RealTemp 3.67

Where have you located the RealTemp folder? It sounds like the file permissions for the RealTemp.ini file have been changed so you don't have full Read/Write access to that file anymore and your settings aren't being saved correctly. Right mouse click on the RealTemp.INI file, select Properties and then have a look at the Security tab. Windows can change the permissions if you unzip a file to one location and then move it somewhere else, especially on a different drive. I think that's what the problem is.

You can also try downloading the latest version above and unzip it somewhere like your desktop and see if you can save your settings then.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the quick response.

I tried 364 with the same results which I'll reiterate as I believe my post was unclear.

Changes to Realtemp.ini are persistent and yet the program doesn't reflect changes to idle offset or TJmax in operation on successive starts, despite the custom values written to the .ini file.

My C: volume is write protected but since Realtemp resides on a different volume that shouldn't matter, however I'm puzzled and grasping at straws.

Edit: System tray font and color changes are persistent in operation. Perhaps Realtemp is defaulting to auto-detected or default values for TJmax and idle calibration on my platform.
    Last edited by Nightstar; 06-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Did you look at the file permissions on the RealTemp.ini file? Other users have reported problems when moving the RealTemp folder and this file from one volume to a different volume.

Both TJMax and the calibration factors get saved correctly and also get reloaded correctly for me so I'm not sure what's going on. Make sure the RealTemp.ini file is not open in another program like Notepad or Wordpad while you are saving your settings or while RealTemp is starting up. I'll have a look at my code to see if I can see any problems that might happen with Atom CPUs.

In the Settings Windows you have to click on OK for your new settings to be saved.

Xtreme Member
    I checked file permissions, full control is granted. Tried the new version you recommended with the same results.

Here's the procedure I've employed for changes: I open Real Temp click settings button enter custom value, click apply, click ok and I'm able to observe the change reflected in the temperature reading. However if I close Real Temp and restart it I'm back to square one except that if I browse the ini file I can see my custom values saved there.

Since the changes are written to the ini file I don't believe this problem is related to file permissions(changes to the RealTemp.ini are persistent). What's puzzling is that other changes such as those to font type and color are reflected in the program's operation where as temperature calibration is not. Perhaps RealTemp is ignoring the TJmax and idle offset values in RealTemp.ini in favor of default values in MSR?

Xtreme Addict
    Nightstar: Thanks for taking the time to clearly detail this problem. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this. I don't understand why values are being written correctly to the INI file and other values are being read from the INI file correctly but the TJMax and Calibration factors are being ignored. This doesn't happen on my desktop or laptop computer and after hundreds of thousands of downloads, this is the first I've heard of this problem. If I have some time this weekend, I'll try to add some debugging code to RealTemp so maybe we can find out what's happening to the calibration data.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for taking the time to investigate this issue. I thought I might have been overlooking some setting or procedure. I figured I should report this issue in case it was a bug.

I seem to recall another fellow posted the same problem in this very forum which was never resolved. Indeed that's what prompted this exchange. If I find the post I'll link it here.

Regardless, It's a nifty little tool, even if I have to set the values each start. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Nightstar; 06-28-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    unclewebb, the mediafire link pionts to RealTemp 3.64, not 3.67 (or at least that is what the zip file is called). Is this correct?

Hello Unclewebb

I've got the exact same error as Nightstar. Running Windows 7 64bit, i5-2500k. Its saves the ini file, but do not load the data when restarting the program.

Nevertheless, thank you for a great program!

Xtreme Member
    Is it possible to create a realtemp with ROG style colors and icon ? same as cpu-z rog
    cpuz_asus.png
    i7 2600K Batch L039B470.
    Asus Maximus IV-Gene-Z
    Single Stage
    RipJawsX 4gb 2133 7-9-7-27-1T
    H2O 6970

Xtreme Addict
    I agree that the CPU-Z and GPU-Z Republic of Gamers editions look great but I don't have any plans to do the same for RealTemp.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...OG%20Skin.html

Xtreme Mentor
    where exactly is 3.67?
    ASUS P5K-E // E8400 Q746A519
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    LC 550W GP// XPERTVISION 9600GT

Xtreme Addict
    There is a link to RealTemp 3.67 in the very first post in this thread. I also counted 4 links to a download that contains RealTemp 3.67 on this page. It's not too hard to find.

I've been testing a Gulftown (i7 970) and while I'm no expert I think Intel are playing fast and loose with the TJ Max. Real Temp reports it on my system as 101 however when testing the 970 I noticed it was throttling at a reported temperature of roughly 60ºC. Intel claims that the TCase for this CPU is 67.8ºC and my understanding is that throttling 'kicks in' at around 20ºC above that.

So assuming my 970 isn't defective then for it to reach the temperature when it will begin to throttle i.e. around 88ºC the TCase is in fact 130 not 101. I must admit being surprised at some of the reported lowish temperatures for the Gulftown series and I suppose an easy way to give that impression is for Intel to 'adjust' the TJ Max or am I misunderstanding something?
    CL TH10P | Asus P6TD Deluxe | Core i7 970 @ 4.4GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 1774MHz | PNY 580GTX SLI | Crucial M4 128GB | OCZ Vertex 120GB | 2 x Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic Platinum-1000 | Aquacomputer Kryos XT | EK FC-580 GTX | EK X58, RAM Dominator & Mosfet | RX480 x 2 | Swiftech 35X x 2 | Noiseblocker PL2

Xtreme Addict
    That is one limitation with Intel writing TJMax information to each core of a Core i CPU. Intel can write whatever they want to that register now and all software will read that register and report the same temperatures. The temperature sensors that Intel uses in these 32nm CPUs are not that accurate. There is an undocumented amount of error in terms of how they set TJMax and there is temperature slope error where the amount of error increases, the further you get away from the calibration point. When combined, the amount of error can be significant.

What sort of throttling are you seeing? When overclocking it is likely that you are seeing throttling based on power consumption. The amount of turbo boost you get depends on whether the CPU is operating within its power envelope. If it goes over the limit, it turns off turbo boost. When near the limit, it rapidly cycles turbo boost on and off and RealTemp will report that as a reduced multiplier. Most motherboards have an option in the bios so you can increase these turbo TDP / TDC power limits so you will continue to get full turbo boost even when overclocking and fully loaded with LinX. ThrottleStop lets you adjust these limits from within Windows but it is designed for the 4 core CPUs so I'm not sure if it works on 6 core CPUs.

Intel CPUs are not designed to throttle based on the TCase temperature. TCase is only intended to be used so computer manufacturers can design a heatsink and fan and a computer case. The theory is that if you design a system and the TCase temperature does not exceed the TCase specification then that CPU will rarely if ever trigger thermal throttling at TJMax. Thermal throttling is controlled by the core temperature which RealTemp reports and that's it. If you ever trigger any thermal throttling, ThrottleStop will change from OK to LOG in the thermal status area to show that the CPU core logged at least one thermal throttling incident since you booted up. If it still shows OK then the CPU didn't thermal throttle.

Some motherboards use the Bi-Directional PROCHOT feature. This can be used to tell the CPU to throttle based on an outside event. For an example, many laptops can throttle the CPU based on the GPU core temperature. I think the voltage regulator can trigger this type of throttling on desktop motherboards.

Post some pics at full load so I can have a look. The i7 Turbo GT program in the RealTemp download is a very accurate tool that can monitor for the slightest hint of throttling.

Edit: I just noticed your sig. The Asus P6T series has known throttling issues when pushed extremely hard. The special 0006 bios was successful at disabling the throttling when using 4 core CPUs but I'm not sure how that works when running a 6 core CPU. Here's some more info about that problem.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-Thread/page74
    Last edited by unclewebb; 07-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Page 176 of 180 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177178179 ... LastLast