Page 138 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141148 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 4486

Thread: Real Temp - New temp program for Intel Core processors

Xtreme Addict
    Yep, the gradient from tcase to tjunction is dependent on thermal char. (cooling C/W) and load (TDP), and also on the loading program (since each different program may stress a different component of the cpu more like DTLB, L1, etc, not to mention different sensors in different areas. Intel formula in pic. Intel states that the gradient at max load from Tmax specs to tcase is defined under stock max load TDP with certain loading program, stock cooling (C/W) ...but this relationship will vary some cpu to cpu, etc.

btw...graph in post 3429 perfectly illustrates why tcase (cpu temp) cant be calibrated for both idle and load accuracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tcaseformulapst.jpg 
Views:	1489 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	96406  
    Last edited by rge; 03-15-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    pyongmu: I'm not sure if you've seen this before but it's an interesting linear formula from the Q6600 datasheet.

Intel Q6600 Datasheet
    http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31559205.pdf

This graph is the thermal profile for a Q6600 G0:

I think this information is targeted at system builders to help them select and design heatsinks and case fans. It shows the maximum Tcase temperature at a given wattage.
    The Q6600 G0 has a TDP of 95 watts and when you plug that number into the formula you get the maximum recommended Tcase temperature of 71C.

When you run Linpack on all 4 cores while overclocking and over volting, you are going beyond the 95 watt TDP thermal design power number.

Here's how my Q6600 looks running LinX. At 3000 MHz and 1.40 volts the difference in power consumption at the wall was 145 watts (295 vs 150).

Maybe 75% or 80% of that number, based on power supply efficiency, would be a reasonable estimation of CPU power consumption plus a few watts for what it consumes at idle.
    With core 0 always at full load and the other 3 oscillating from full load to idle, I don't recommend using LinX when comparing the temps of each core.

A graph of power consumption vs core temperature and Tcase temperature would be interesting. You could use Prime95 Small FFTs for a fairly consistent load and then use the RealTemp clock modulation feature to adjust the load. RealTemp is the perfect program for people with too much time on their hands. The Kill-A-Watt meter I use is a ~$15 EBay special.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 03-15-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Just ordered a Kill-A-Watt meter .
    EP45-UD3P, QX9650, 8800GTS, KHX9200

Xtreme Addict
    When your new toy arrives remember to come back here with some CPU power vs temperature graphs.

rge and I like seeing stuff like that.

Xtreme Addict
    Any one having issues with Version 3.00 closing/shutting down
    after just a few minutes with Win7,s newest build 7057?

I open it and it shows in my task bar then browse the web or what ever
    then see its shut down.

Open it again and after less than 5 minutes its been closed out.
    No errors or anything.

I am running the 64 bit beta version of W7 build 7057.
    It didnt do this with the standard 7000 version.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme Addict
    sirheck: If you open up the Task Manager is RealTemp still running? I know the icons can hide depending on how Windows 7 is set up.

I didn't have any issues with Win 7 version 7000 but haven't tried 7057 yet. You can also try the latest beta to see if that makes any difference.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...alTempBeta.zip

I switched over to Visual Studio 2008 for RealTemp 3.19 which might have better compatibility with the newer operating systems that are out there and coming out. It seems like an odd problem.

Maybe it's a conspiracy. Intel and Microsoft might have got together to make sure no one knows what temperature their CPU is running at.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok i,ll give the newest one a try.
    And no i never checked task manager, i figured W7 would give the ole (this program is already in use/running) notice, but hey it is a beta.

Edit; Ok i checked the task manager and yes i had multiple realtemps running.
    The newest 3.19 does the same thing.

Im going to try setting/changing the affinity for it, and see how that goes.
    Last edited by sirheck; 03-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Turn on the task bar option in RealTemp so you can see if it's running or not. There's no code in RealTemp to prevent a person from running multiple copies of it. That's either a feature or a bug depending on how you look at it. I like being able to run 4 instances of RealTemp so I can do 4 rounds of XS Bench and load up some cores.

Does RealTemp pop up on your screen when you first start it? If you look at it for 5 minutes does it just disappear? I can't quite figure out what's going on.

Im going to try setting/changing the affinity for it, and see how that goes.
    That should screw it up.

Edit: I had a thought last night. I was dumb enough to complain to Microsoft during Windows 7 beta testing that they've screwed up the icon ordering in the system tray. Maybe their fix was to make RealTemp and the icons disappear so no one notices that they're not in the correct order anymore.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 03-18-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    Maybe their fix was to make RealTemp and the icons disappear so no one notices that they're not in the correct order anymore.
    SmartFan is another program that disappears magically from system tray on Seven.

Does Microsoft hate temp monitoring programs?

Xtreme Addict
    Turn on the task bar option in RealTemp so you can see if it's running or not. There's no code in RealTemp to prevent a person from running multiple copies of it. That's either a feature or a bug depending on how you look at it. I like being able to run 4 instances of RealTemp so I can do 4 rounds of XS Bench and load up some cores.

Does RealTemp pop up on your screen when you first start it? If you look at it for 5 minutes does it just disappear? I can't quite figure out what's going on.

That should screw it up.

Edit: I had a thought last night. I was dumb enough to complain to Microsoft during Windows 7 beta testing that they've screwed up the icon ordering in the system tray. Maybe their fix was to make RealTemp and the icons disappear so no one notices that they're not in the correct order anymore.

DUH! I went into the RealTemp (settings) and clicked on taskbar and now
    it seems to be working fine.

*sirheck* Slaps himself.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Keep pushing unclewebb.. Awesome work

MBO Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3 // CPU Intel i5 2500k //
    GPU Gigabyte GTX470 // PSU Corsair TX650W //
    RAM 2*2GB Geil Black Dragon + 2*2GB Corsair DominatorGT // HDD WD 640GB + Seagate 250GB (410AS)

Xtreme Addict

In Windows 7 you have to go into Notification Area Icons and either turn on Show icon and notifications or check the "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" box. My task bar is black and my icons are usually white so sometimes the temp numbers go hiding in this utility or when you click on the task bar and try to look for them.

Other than the green GPU icon, it's impossible to see them in here because they blend into the program.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 03-18-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Xtreme Addict

In Windows 7 you have to go into Notification Area Icons and either turn on Show icon and notifications or check the "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" box. My task bar is black and my icons are usually white so sometimes the temp numbers go hiding in this utility or when you click on the task bar and try to look for them.
    That was the other thing i did.

Xtreme Member
    @ uncle: what is the latest release? can you give me a stable link where i can always get the latest version?

however i need to know what do the 'clock modulation' feature o the 3.00 version ... Thanks
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Addict
    The latest beta is always available here:

Version 3.00 is the last official version and it is available at TechPowerUp.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp

Clock Modulation is an Intel term. It was designed by Intel to give a user a way to reduce the temperature of their CPU while at full load. When enabled, internally your CPU will do less work and will run cooler at full load.

Here's the official Intel explanation if you're interested:

13.5 THERMAL MONITORING AND PROTECTION
    http://download.intel.com/design/pro...als/253668.pdf

If you had a CPU running at 3000 MHz and you set the Clock Modulation to 50% then it would run the CPU at half power or at the equivalent of about a 1500 MHz CPU. The 87.5%, 75%, 62.5%, etc. are Intel approximations. The RealTemp load meter will show you a more accurate % for how hard your CPU is really working when modulated. Run Prime 95 Small FFTs and play around with the Clock Modulation settings.

So far only one user has told me he uses this feature. He had a laptop and when watching a movie he sets it to 87.5% which saves some power and allows his movie to play fine without his laptop burning through his lap.

I thought it might be useful when testing an overclock. If your 3000 MHz CPU runs Prime stable at 4000 MHz most days but seems to crash on hot days, you could try running at 87.5% or 75% to keep the heat down and try to isolate your problem. Technically speaking, it's still running at 4000 MHz but will be ignoring some of the internal clock pulses so it won't be working as hard or creating as much heat internally.

This might also be handy for those that like to fake screen shots. You could run LinX on your Core i7 and CPU-Z could report your super high MHz while Core Temp or RealTemp was reporting a nice and low core temperature. The load meter in RealTemp would show that something isn't quite right but traditional load meters would show your CPU working at 100% even though it is not working that hard internally when Clock Modulation is going on. Here's Prime 95 Small FFTs on all 4 cores. My air cooled Quad runs super cool when fully modulated.

You can also try running some Super PI 1M benches at different Clock Mod settings. Performance will definitely take a hit.

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Xtreme Addict

RealTemp 3.20 RC1

One user running XP x64 had trouble with RealTemp starting up so I got rid of the check for thermal sensors which didn't seem to be working properly on his computer. I went back to my previous start-up code which seemed to work.

Other than that, same old stuff. I noticed one user on XS has a new Core 2 Quad processor that isn't being properly detected. I saved a screen shot of it somewhere but I can't remember where the hell I put it at the moment. Edit: Found it! radaja on the UTP35 thread has a flaky bios which caused this issue.

If you see any screen shots with the model number missing, post them here so I can have a look.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 03-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Pardon me if this has been answered before or if it's a stupid question but what does Real Temp do when the CPU enters PROCHOT? Does Real Temp actually query the register (is it even a register?) or does it just go by the distance to TjMax?

Xtreme Member
    thanks Uncle
    OBSIDIAN 800D, ASRock P67 Professional, Intel 2600K [UNLOCKED] watercooled by Ybris Black Sun (HWLabs Black Ice SR1-360 w/Nanoxia 2K, Swiftech MCP655 + Res XSPC), 4GB KINGSTON LoVo, SSD 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300, HDD Seagate Barracuda 250GB/500GB, Corsair HX 750w, nVidia 260 GTX XFX Black Edition, X-FI Xtreme Gamer

Xtreme Member
    Uncle, when I exit the latest beta Windows Vista 64 tells me "realtemp has stopped working". Any idea why this is?
    ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP, Q6600 @ 3.4GHz 1.3v, Tuniq Tower 120, 4Gb OCZ PC2 8500 Reaper HPC, Asus HD5870, 320Gb Seagate 7200.10 SATAII, 500Gb Sammy F1, NEC ND4550A DVD burner, Corsair TX 750w PSU, Antec P182.

Xtreme Addict
    What version number is displayed in the About... box of RealTemp?

Version 3.20 RC3 is available here if you don't have it already:

If RC3 has this issue then I'll try sending you some test versions to see if I can find out exactly what the issue is.
    I thought this bug was fixed but with XS down for a couple of weeks, maybe I just didn't hear about it.

Xtreme Member
    Hi uncle Thanks for updates,
    test-run RealTemp 3.20 RC3
    Vista Home Prem. 32bit/ sp1 - Get this close (error?) message(s) -
    1-st(first) popup says : RealTemp stopped working , Windows is checking solution ..
    2-nd : 'a problem caused the program to stop working correctly,
    windows will close the program and notify .. solutions ... bla , bla

---------
    Xp-Pro32bit/ Sp3 - NO Problem NO messages
    ----------
    // W7 - Not Tested //
    Maximus Extreme / Air // E8400 // Noctua NH-C12P
    Asus 8800 ULTRA /Stock Air/
    G.SKILL F3-10600CL8D-2GBHK
    Tagan TG700-BZ // Antec P182 B

Rampage Extreme / Air // QX9650 // True120 Black
    A-Data DDR3-1600G 3x2gb kit (using 2 modules 2x2b)
    ((CellShock (MSC CS3222580) ) dead
    Sapphire HD 4870x2 (single) stock Air
    Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1KW // HAF'932

Xtreme Addict
    thanks for the update

Xtreme Addict
    Here's what makes programming fun. I'm using Vista Ultimate x86 (32 bit) as well as Windows 7 (64 bit) and have never once had an issue closing RealTemp.

i43: Hopefully you have some time to help with finding this bug. I almost had this solved about the time XS went on holidays. When RealTemp closes, it tries to be OS friendly by freeing up memory and resources but it seems to be freeing up something that it shouldn't be in Vista.

I'll try writing a version that goes through the closing procedure step by step to hopefully figure out the exact line of code causing the issue. Ever since I started trying to do things by the book, I've been creating obscure bugs and issues. Writing code randomly off the top of my head seemed to work much better.

Xtreme Member
    Realtemp 3.20 RC3 Works fine with XPSP3.
    but in Windows 7 Build 7068 it didn't show up. you can only see it in taskbar.

thanks for the hardwork uncle!
    Final-sig.jpg

Page 138 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141148 ... LastLast