Thread: Need some advice on a QX6850 ES

Banned

Need some advice on a QX6850 ES

Got an engineering sample QX6850 on Ebay for pennies! (unopened box too, so I know it hasnt been abused yet)

Was wondering, someone who has had alot of experience pushing these chips on DICE/LN2 (looking at Team AU or Team Japan ) Which motherboard is the best to get high FSB on a quad? Anything to watch out for? This will be my first quadcore, jsut needed some newbie advice.

Is the board in my sig good for this chip? I know commando's and foxconn mars are solid boards, but I was hoping not to have to buy another mobo if this gigabyte is OK.
    Last edited by TheKarmakazi; 02-29-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Xtreme Member
    what do you mean 'for pennies'?what real price and what user?I see even ES that were priced near the OEM/retail versions

Xtreme Member
    I've never heard of an ES in a box.
    {PMS}fishy: how much voltage can we give it?
    Gautam: as much as you want

930 @ 5250 -- P5WD2-P --vDimm --vNB --vDroop --vCPU
    Custom {PMS}fishy Mach1 /wChilly1 Evap & Special Mods

Trouble Shooting 101:
    1. RTFM
    2. Repeat Step 1

830 @ 5555
    631 @ 6060
    920 @ 5256
    930 @ 5631

Banned
    $650 USD sniped it with 5 secs remaining heres the link..

a couple of guys on other forums said white box ES is legit. i trust u guys at XS to be more knowledgable though. so you think it is a hoax?

I am Xtreme
    Ow man for about the same money you would have had an QX9650...( got my 740B159 for 680 dollar)s, better clocker there... but have fun with it... give us some results...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Ow man for about the same money you would have had an QX9650...( got my 740B159 for 680 dollar)s, better clocker there... but have fun with it... give us some results...
    i was torn between this and a 9650 but i figured id go with this one seeing as its a unopened ES so im hoping for a really nice chip. BTW, where did you find that for $680, the back of a truck in a dark alley ? :P cheapest i see is ~$900
    Last edited by TheKarmakazi; 03-01-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Where you get for Qx9650 for 680 dollars, i want one for that price
    CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3600Mhz 24/7
    GFX: eVGA 8800GTS SSC 512MB
    RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
    MB: DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    HDD:150GB WD Raptor X
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W
    Screen: Dell 2407WFP

I am Xtreme
    Well it wasn't ebay, it's sort of a local Belgian thing, Kapaza, we bought 2 of them ( me and a pal ) They were OEMs but pretty amasing stuff in comparison to the retail I got
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Got an engineering sample QX6850 on Ebay for pennies! (unopened box too, so I know it hasnt been abused yet)

Was wondering, someone who has had alot of experience pushing these chips on DICE/LN2 (looking at Team AU or Team Japan ) Which motherboard is the best to get high FSB on a quad? Anything to watch out for? This will be my first quadcore, jsut needed some newbie advice.

Is the board in my sig good for this chip? I know commando's and foxconn mars are solid boards, but I was hoping not to have to buy another mobo if this gigabyte is OK.
    I'd say don't worry about ultra high FSB's and worry more about board design and layout. Most of the records with the 6850's were done with FSB's at 350-400 with high multi's iirc. I think the ASUS Maximus Formula or Extreme would do you well depending on memory type. Your Gigabyte might be up to the task, the only way to find out is testing
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661