Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scythe Orochi CPU Cooler Review

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ALRIGHT IT I'M GETTING ONE
    SLUGZ YOU'VE GOT ME CONVINCED
    LETS HOPE MY NAKED E7200 WILL BE able to handle this thing.

TIRO- I'Ve got a cm 690,so i'll let you know.
    these are going wicked cheap right now, i guess i'll forgo a true........
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmasterMax View Post
    TIRO- I'Ve got a cm 690,so i'll let you know.
    these are going wicked cheap right now, i guess i'll forgo a true........
    sweeeeet! I'l hear from u soon then! - thanks m8!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, i recieved my orochi yesterday. Everything was going great until i looked at the mounting system. The mounting bracket was to long and couldn't be modified, so genius that i am decided to attempt a "capaciter relocation mod" where i would unsolder the caps from the front and mount them on the back of the board. After i removed the caps, i had to bend the bracket a bit to ensure there was pressure up against my de lidded e7200, and the brittle chrome plated shiiit broke! So i then spent the next 5 hours turning the back plate that they gave into a bracket. (it involved lots of drilling, and cutting, but in the end it worked great. I'm a little embarrassed about the cap removal,(which wouldn't have been necessary if i had just done the bracket mod) and it was a bit obvious that with my puny 20 watt soldering iron, they weren't going back on the board. So after i fashioned the bracket, i decided to test it anyway, and the board is still alive!!!! This ds3l is missing a total of 5 caps, has the vdroop hard mod, and one of the coils has it's plastic box thing partially broken off, and a motley bunch of heatsinks cover much of the top. Now all i need is the nbcore mod, and the fsb will be flying!!!

As for the orochi temps, i could not be happier. This is replacing a scythe infinity, which was giving me 83 Celsius degrees at full load. This tops out at 60 after about 30 mins and then raises along with the ambient temps. With EIST on, my idle temps are 28 and 32 degrees!

It fits in my case, a cm 690, but don't plan on mounting any fans on the inside of the case.
    Last edited by fragmasterMax; 08-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Xtreme Member

Bye Bye Orochi.

Well guys, I decided to replace my Orochi with a OCZ Vendetta 2. You can check out my Mini review HERE

My cpu kept crashing, and I was fearing that the brutal weight of the Orochi was possibly causing my board to warp, or dent my cpu, or something. My temperatures kept going up...prolly due to dust, who knows.

I strongly advise that whoever is using an Orochi to have the gravity towards it's advantage. What i mean by that is, make sure your motherboard is flat on a surface is not in a tower position. The thing is just too damn heavy.

Also, when i removed the Orochi, I noticed that half the base wasn't even incontact with the CPU! fresh thermal compound (as5) wasnt' even smudged or attached to my Orochi! No wonder there was such a difference between the two cores in load temps, jeez.

Anyways, it was fun to experiment with. But technology is prooving that these days, bigger does not mean better.
    Last edited by slugzkea; 11-10-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    q9550 e0 4.1ghz
    Corsair H100 Mx-3 + TriCool
    Asus Rampage Formula R4 BIOS
    Sapphire 7970 3gb Dual x OC 1200/1700 (reference) re-pasted MX-3
    CM Cosmos S RC-1100 w/6 TriCools
    4xOCZ2G10662G (8gb DDR2 RAM)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU
    SB X-Fi Extreme Audio PCIE w/Z-5500's +Corsair Vengeance 2000
    G15 rev2 + G13 + G9x

GOT RAMPAGE?
    CHECK FOR MEMORY ISSUES

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slugzkea View Post
    Well guys, I decided to replace my Orochi with a OCZ Vendetta 2. You can check out my Mini review HERE

My cpu kept crashing, and I was fearing that the brutal weight of the Orochi was possibly causing my board to warp, or dent my cpu, or something. My temperatures kept going up...prolly due to dust, who knows.

I strongly advise that whoever is using an Orochi to have the gravity towards it's advantage. What i mean by that is, make sure your motherboard is flat on a surface is not in a tower position. The thing is just too damn heavy.

Also, when i removed the Orochi, I noticed that half the base wasn't even incontact with the CPU! fresh thermal compound (as5) wasnt' even smudged or attached to my Orochi! No wonder there was such a difference between the two cores in load temps, jeez.

Anyways, it was fun to experiment with. But technology is prooving that these days, bigger does not mean better.
    yeah the included mounting is crap, but i guess the two lateral pieces of metal acts as struts, and absorb the weight the of cooler.
    Anyway, the soldering from the fins to the heatpipes also sucked, but this is still a great cooler. it just needs extensive mods to really squeeze the efficiency out of all ten of those long heatpipes. I'm going to grind off most of the base pretty soon, b4 i do an i7 install. This should definitely be interesting. Will update accordingly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123