Thread: Z-Dome, 180degree Display

Xtreme Addict

Z-Dome, 180degree Display

An interesting product that they are planning on expanding the line-up with even larger, more immersive, models.

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    GDC 2008: EuroTouch Z-Dome
    180-degree display technology. by Gerry Block

February 21, 2008 - GDC 2008 is rife with impressive displays. Triple-monitor setups abound, as do giant single LCDs. None, however, offer 180-degrees of wrap-around immersion, other than Z-Dome. The innovative display technology, developed by EuroTouch Interactive, makes use of rear-projection to spread a display over a massive space that wraps around the player, brining a semi-virtual-reality experience out of the headset and into the game room.

Z-Dome's product relies upon rear-projection from standard consumer projectors, in this case the excellent Panasonic PT-AX200U (read our review). When projected upon the rear side of the Z-Dome, the image translates brightly to the viewing side via proprietary coatings applied to the dome. The wrap-around display effect created is both immersive and game-able, particularly in FPS titles like CoD4.

Z-Dome has a strong history of supplying technology to the military and business applications, and today announced plans to release a consumer version of the technology. According to company representatives, by the end of 2008, 180-degree Z-Dome products will launch in the consumer space, packaged with a projector, for less than $5,000.

Follow-on products will expand the theme. 270-degree Z-Dome prototypes exist for fully-immersive experiences. Stereoscopic 3D is also possible via multiple projectors, and the 3D effect made possible by the curved Z-Dome creates a deeper depth of field than flat panel displays.

The effect of the Z-Dome is impressive in person, and we're stoked consumers will eventually have access to the technology. Stay tuned for more news from Z-Dome as the product nears consumer release.
    http://gear.ign.com/articles/854/854112p1.html

Xtreme Mentor
    Looks very interesting but I see a lot of distortion in there (or am I wrong?). I think in the end it will be immersive headsets that pan the image with head movement that will win the day. Small is usually eventually cheap and big projection domes will have a big price tag, no matter how much things improve.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I see a lot distortion as well (pixel stretching)..

Good for a prototype but I'll wait, thank you.

Xtreme Member
    i think that just from not being in the sweet spot

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by $a1Ty View Post
    i think that just from not being in the sweet spot
    Could be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt this require changing the FOV settings on games for it to actually provide that scope of view?

ps
    speederlander <3<3 orwell
    αποστασία

Xtreme Mentor
    Quite a bit of fish eye
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Member
    They already have one that’s like 80 feet at epcott center, its called Soarin'. You set in a roller coaster type seat that is attached to a robotic type arm that tilts and lifts you up and down. You’re so close to the display that you can look down and still see screen. No distortion either. Unbelievable experience, closest you will get to superman like flying. They have this one section in the video where you fly over orange groves and they actually spray citrus scent in the air so you smell it as the video/screen simulates flying over! I'd give my left nugget to own that ride.

Banned
    I'm willing to bet the fisheye look is only because of the perspective the picture was taken from.

Xtreme Member
    sr7 yeah i think your right, plus they may have had standard res video. need to shoot with a lense that distorts on regular tv (fish eye) would look correct on that. I know disney has it worked out