Thread: Best Optical Drive CURRENTLY 2/24/07

Best Optical Drive CURRENTLY 2/24/07

Oops 2/24/08 Can someone edit The Title?

What is it?

I'm looking for one that will burn dual-layer DVD discs consistently. Is there anyone here who regularly burns DL media successfully, and if so what do you use? I have an external Plextor that's rapidly showing it's age and I want to replace it. I don't care if it's internal or external and I don't care if it's Blu-Ray or not, but I'm willing to consider one that is as long as it's a good DVD burner as well.
    And before anyone says it, I've searched google for reviews and all the ones I find are old, and almost never have any mention of dual layer capability except on the spec sheets. I went to cdfreaks and looked, but even the top device they have listed has many positive reviews on NewEgg, but all of the negative ones specifically mention not being consistent with dual layer as the reason for the negative. So that's where I'm at.

What works good for you guys?

Thanks
    Last edited by Frankenchrist; 02-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    EVGA 680i
    e6600 + 2gb Dominator 6400C4d
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    2 Seagate 120 gb SATA 7200 rpm RAID 0-WinXP Pro 32
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have tested Lite On, Samsung, and Pioneer Drives but they're not as good as Plextor Drive. I'm using PX-810SA Drive which is very good, burning more than 50 DVDs now and never failed a single one yet!

Xtreme Addict
    The Plextor drives of late arent anywhere near as good as the older ones. The LiteOn , LG, Pioneer and Sony drives are all easily as good as the plextors and cost alot less. Ive have 2 LiteOns and now an LG and they all work perfectly

I've heard that now Plextor's are just rebadged Lite-Ons. I'll take as many opinions as I can get on this topic.

Thanks!
    EVGA 680i
    e6600 + 2gb Dominator 6400C4d
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    2 Seagate 120 gb SATA 7200 rpm RAID 0-WinXP Pro 32
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    I have been getting the samsungs with lightscribe from the egg, bought about a dozen or more for builds, never a single issue or complaint. (I only own two the others are for friends rigs and I would have heard If there was any problems). best part is they are under 30 bucks most of the time
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchrist View Post
    I've heard that now Plextor's are just rebadged Lite-Ons. I'll take as many opinions as I can get on this topic.

Thanks!
    Hey, wasup?! Plextors are modified Lite-Ons according to one guy who says he works for Plextor. The bad news is that the other companies caught them. Though I owned a lot of Lite-Ons, then NEC and Samsung (few LGs as well). I have to give the nod to the Samsungs and the 20X in particular.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...rticleId=22450

Samsung whodathunkit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!