Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intel Nehalem Mainboard and CPU Picture Debut...

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Everything I know about engineering( which isn't much) is first make it work, then make it work better(faster,less heat,etc)
    My guess is that they start at a slow speed to see if the theory actually works in practice,then look at all the individual components to see any potential flaws and then they start to make it go faster.
    Just a guess but maybe closer to the truth than we know.
    exactly

most of the time the further steppings always include various speed path fixes to help ramp up the clocks and stomp out performance hampering bugs.

my job is pretty much the same thing. All the PHD guys make the process work (sometimes it only looks like it works), then they give it to my cohorts and I and we make it work safer, with less defects, and faster.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by socket View Post
    what about pins side?
    I don't think anyone is allowed to show pins yet...

The socket arrangement is to die for on a server board
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    Production will probably C-something, I'd be willing to bet that just about every chip (specially a new uArch) starts out very very slow on early stepping.
    Gotcha. Didn't know there was that large a variance between early revs and final revs in terms of clockspeed scaling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123