Thread: Surprise...Vista64 is Faster than XP SP2 using wPrime bench

I am Xtreme

Surprise...Vista64 is Faster than XP SP2 using wPrime bench

man, i have been routinely negative about vista in some respects of what it offers to users...i like some parts of vista and other parts i would like to delete or turn them off....supposedly, speed has been the main complaint from many guys who would bench on vista...not sure how many were using 32 bit or 64 bit.

i set up my Areca Raid card on the IP35 Pro with two Seagate single platter 250 gb drives (7200.10 series)...i partitioned XP SP2 in the very front with 30G's and right after it was a 80G partition with Vista 64 Ultimate installed as a dual boot configuration.

i decided to run (bench) wPrime (here)...it is a short bench lasting between 5-12 minutes depending on how many cores you have....here is a quote about the multi-threading bench:

Technicalities

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wPrime uses a recursive call of Newton's method for estimating functions, with f(x)=x2-k, where k is the number we're sqrting, until Sgn(f(x)/f'(x)) does not equal that of the previous iteration, starting with an estimation of k/2. It then uses an iterative calling of the estimation method a set amount of times to increase the accuracy of the results. It then confirms that n(k)2=k to ensure the calculation was correct. It repeats this for all numbers from 1 to the requested maximum.

Threading

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our aim was to make a perfectly threaded benchmark, such that it would consistantly use 100% of the CPU while in use. This is achieved by using the WMI to detect the CPU count and use exactly that many processing threads to avoid any performance losses due to multiple threads running on any single physical thread. Each thread is designed to do 1/n of the work, where n is the number of threads. For example, if you're calculating 16 roots on 4 CPU's, each CPU will calculate 4 roots. Some might argue that this style of threading is unrealistic in real-time performance, but in fact is quite indicative of performance in several real world tasks such as F@H which allows you to run several instances of the work at any one time.
    OK...i'll cut to the chase...here it is...not super fast but definitely faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XP_WPRIMEBENCH.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	72735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VISTA64_WPRIMEBENCH.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	72736  
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Wow this is pretty amazing, great find! I didn't know x64vista had any better benches, but this is good to know. <--currently using x64 vista

I just wish this was true for 3dMark...

Xtreme Mentor
    Vista has much better threading internals than XP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybob99 View Post
    Wow this is pretty amazing, great find! I didn't know x64vista had any better benches, but this is good to know. <--currently using x64 vista

I just wish this was true for 3dMark...
    one needs to remind itself that other benches like 3d2006 were designed for XP...i know video benching and gaming has been slower for some but i am thinking that SP1, which should be out in a week or two, might help, i HOPE!

NOW..this DRM bu*llsh*t pisses me off...a guy just emailed me that he can't read a digital picture disc that he made yesterday in his windows install..but..it works on his DVD player.
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.