Thread: SSD stats; where can I find them?

Xtreme Member

SSD stats; where can I find them?

does anyone know the transfer rate for some ssd's. I am considering buying one but, I would like to see if they are worth the huge chunck of change that they are going for right now. everything I see doesn't cover the seek times, write times, and average latency.
    Asus X58 sabertooth, i7 980 extreme edition,Corsair Core i7 Dominator 9GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, O.S. installed on a Revodrive X2,Two 64gb crucial realSSd 6gb/sec in raid 0 , 2 Evga Geforce GTX 295 video cards in SLI, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w Power Supply, Sony 12X Blu Ray Burner , Acer 24inch monitor, Nvidia 3D kit, Antec 900 case, Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by james bennett View Post
    does anyone know the transfer rate for some ssd's. I am considering buying one but, I would like to see if they are worth the huge chunck of change that they are going for right now. everything I see doesn't cover the seek times, write times, and average latency.
    This website has a lot of information on solid state technology, but for the actual benchmarked disks, you'll be better off googling for individual reviews.
    i5 660 / Asrock P55M Pro / Ripjaws / GTS250

Xtreme Member

mystery stats

It would seem that they should be proudly boasting about the outstanding superiority of SSD's to regular hard drives. Maybe, it isn't dramatic enough to justify the cost. I know the access times have to be lightning fast.
    Asus X58 sabertooth, i7 980 extreme edition,Corsair Core i7 Dominator 9GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, O.S. installed on a Revodrive X2,Two 64gb crucial realSSd 6gb/sec in raid 0 , 2 Evga Geforce GTX 295 video cards in SLI, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200w Power Supply, Sony 12X Blu Ray Burner , Acer 24inch monitor, Nvidia 3D kit, Antec 900 case, Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

SLC
    if you have a lot of money to spend then just wait a bit for iodrive... Windows drivers are coming out in Q2 and it will be a good ~10x faster than any current SSD. Its $2400 for 80GB though.

Xtreme Member

Thats gonna have to wait for my "dream machine"

Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    if you have a lot of money to spend then just wait a bit for iodrive... Windows drivers are coming out in Q2 and it will be a good ~10x faster than any current SSD. Its $2400 for 80GB though.
    I was thinking that current SSDs were steeply priced. I am aware that the prices of both types will eventually go down. But, who has the patience for that? I don't, I want my dream machine as of yesterday.

Xtreme Addict
    You might try browsing NLHW for all their benches of Mtron's SSD's. These are pretty much as fast as SSD's get right now (obviously excluding high-end server purpose setups).
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Member

if only money were no object

Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    You might try browsing NLHW for all their benches of Mtron's SSD's. These are pretty much as fast as SSD's get right now (obviously excluding high-end server purpose setups).
    Thats what I'm talking about. I knew the access times HAD to be unreal. First thought I am having is how to afford a raid 0 set up with those puppies. I would most likely have to settle for the MSD 6000's run a couple of 16gb in a striped set.

Xtreme Mentor
    First thought I am having is how to afford a raid 0 set up with those puppies. I would most likely have to settle for the MSD 6000's run a couple of 16gb in a striped set.
    That will be enough for Vista + one game
    I say go for it.

Xtreme Member

more than that

Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    That will be enough for Vista + one game
    I say go for it.
    Actually that would be 32gbs, I could set aside 2 for the O.S. and that leaves 28 for gaming. (can't put O.S. on striped set) I had call of duty , cod 2, cod 4, tom clanceys rainbow six lockdown, tom clanceys splinter cell double agent on my computer and ALL the data on my computer only added up to 25gbs. Push come to shove I'd ditch the double agent. I had vista and went back to XP, vista takes a gig of memory right off the top. Vista is alright but, I would opt for performance before all the bells and whistles of Vista.

Xtreme Mentor
    ^ I guess IF you are buying your parts now for end of line usage thats fine and think it is worth investing thats great.
    But going SSD should be a bit future proof and 32gb ain't really it.
    Think 1yr and you could find yourself forking more cash for bigger setup and being a little stuck on selling 16gb drives, IMO.

Xtreme Member

Unhappy that pesky thing called patience

Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    ^ I guess IF you are buying your parts now for end of line usage thats fine and think it is worth investing thats great.
    But going SSD should be a bit future proof and 32gb ain't really it.
    Think 1yr and you could find yourself forking more cash for bigger setup and being a little stuck on selling 16gb drives, IMO.
    Ya, your right I would be better off waiting till I could afford more capacity. Could always extend the raid 0 to three or four 16gb SSD's. but, that would only work for so long. kind of putting off the inevidible if you know what I mean. My real dream is to have about 6 or 7 grand of disposable cash and putting all the conponents together at once. Rather than the way I'm building my system. By the time I get around to upgrading something. I see some better technology. Hard to stay state of the art.

Xtreme Mentor
    By the time I get around to upgrading something. I see some better technology. Hard to stay state of the art.
    I feel that way to, brotha.

Xtreme Member

The future of computing

going SSD should be a bit future proof
    QUOTE]

Thats what I had in mind when I bought my quad core. I figured I would be on the cutting edge for at least a couple of years. Thats quite a while in terms of computers, but I can see that falling by the wayside in the near future. SSD's, other than refining the storage capacities and dropping in price,
    should be a safe bet at not becoming obsolete in another six months or year.

Iam thinking about getting 4 of the mtron drives and i have got a good price if i get 4.I dont know if 4-16gb is enough to do a duel boot with xp and vista 64 or would i have to go to a 32gb. and would realy increase the price.I have seen all the reviews but i have not seen many people using these drives.I would like to get 4 of these for benching and to see how games run on them.

Xtreme Member

If you can't wait

[QUOTE=lowbid;2779321]Iam thinking about getting 4 of the mtron drives and i have got a good price if i get 4.I dont know if 4-16gb is enough to do a duel boot with xp and vista 64 QUOTE]

I heard from a couple of different sources that the price of these SSD's will be dropping soon. (within 6 months). From what I understand the storage capacities for SSD's is going to double. That means that 32gb drives will be priced as if they were 16gb drives. If you just can't wait (believe me I completely understand), with four 16gb drives you could easily install XP and Vista and have 50+gb left over( which I would set up in a striped vol.) The only problem lies in how mony games and apps. you need to fit on there also.

Hey james you are probably right because i have got prices now with 15% off there list if i get 4 drives or more and i think there is more room to make a deal.I would rather have the 32gb. drives witch i will probably go for but i will wait.If it were a gpu or a cpu i mite not be able to hold off.But iam going to pull the trigger on 4 of these in the near future.

Xtreme Member

my trigger finger is itching

I'm wondering how much longer I can hold out myself. I know if I jump the gun I'll end up kickin myself in the near future. I mean the increase in performance will be phenominal. I have done alot of little things to increase my systems performance only to be slightly disappointed that I couldn't see a dramatic difference. The two things that delivered some "bang for the buck" was getting a raptor X and buying better memory (used to crash when I o.c.ed my system before I got the ballistix memory).