Thread: semi long story (regards to LGA 775)

semi long story (regards to LGA 775)

so a while back (probably back in December) i got news for crysis 2. i was very pumped and exited. i was expecting a new, totally awesome squeal to the original crysis that has even better graphics and overall improvement. because i thought crysis 2 was going to melt computers just as bad as crysis one did i knew i needed a hardware upgrade. i was looking around and i got some nice info on sandy bridge on how well it overclocks and how promising it looked. so what i decided to do was save some money and then pull the trigger on a sandy bridge i7 2600k when i get the proper funds. so as more time rolls around i have finally set aside some of my money so i could make a nice, proper purchase from newegg. but before that i was on xtremesystems (i go on every day just to check the news section) i found out what had happened with the new sandy bridge so i just thought i would wait. now that leads to now. the crysis 2 demo came out and i was so exited. i played it and i almost cried. i couldnt believe it, all of the bad things that people were talking about crysis 2 was true (the FOV, the consolization, only dx9). i was quite sad. but then i remembered a thread in the news section that was talking about the "enthusiast" sandy bridge that would come out quarter four of this year. (the 2011 socket or something like that) so that is what i desired on. i am going to wait until then to make the proper sandy bridge build .

but my computer is quite old and it needs an upgrade. what i want to do is grab a possessor and possibly some RAM so my computer wont be-so-terrible and i could last off until quarter 4. so i am here preparing to ask some questions..

i currently have an intel pentium 4 530. and i believe it is a one core. which is the problem. so, knowing that my motherboard is an LGA 775, i went on newegg looking for some cheap upgrade that i could buy (less than 100 bucks) that could hold me over. i ended up finding this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116385

but as i was reading that page i remember that i have a dell computer. and i remember a while ago i tried to overclock but the BIOS is locked for changes on my possessor. which made me sad. so here is my question, would that possessor be a drop in upgrade i could do? (idk if i the BIOS would let me... (if you get what i am saying)) plus, would i see any improvement over the possessor i currently have? i can pretty much give you any information on what hardware my computer has. thank you for helping me!

Xtreme Addict
    What Dell system do you have?
    Not all LGA775 motherboards support Core2 based processors. (Even though the pins are the same).
    John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

its a dell dimension 8400. what i know about the motherboard (based on cpu-z) is that the chipset is intel i925x and the southbridge is 82801FB (ICH6)

Xtreme Addict
    I am sorry, but your DELL Dimension 8400 does not support Core2Duo based processors.
    It only supports Pentium 4 CPU's
    Dell have also confirmed this on their forums here
    Sorry
    John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

aaaaah man! well thanks for the info anyways bro.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CARDB0ARDfoxx View Post
    aaaaah man! well thanks for the info anyways bro.
    That's why you should never have bought a specific branded computer. You should've bought individual pieces and put them together for future upgradebility, you know. I'm also sad with you.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

yeah thats what i am planning on doing with the new 2011 chipset thats going to come out the later part of this year. but back in 2004 (when i got this computer) i wasnt very savvy on building computers. so like the generic person would, a regular computer was bought. but yes, building your own is way more cheaper, effective, overclockable, funner, and more future proof