Thread: Quick and dirty

Quick and dirty

It's that time again. Scratchin' that itch. Overselling desk real-estate to build a new rig.

For those of you that were following my last rig, you may remember that I never put the "finished" cap on it...

>_>

Well, I lit a card on fire because of a leak; well, actually.... never mind, I recounted it in the other worklog in my sig at the end.

The point is, I'm not going to let this one stall.

I already have the 980a mounted as well as the Supreme Gold I got a while back with the tasty Blue Tracers in a fantastic Fortress with a window.

There's a BFG 600W in there somewhere, but I got it from Micro Center and it's nothing special.

Oh, and two 150GB V-raptors for RAID-0 and two 500GB Caviars for RAID-1.

I'll be using a DD x-flow rad for the CPU and GPU. There's no overclocking, and it's pretty high FPI so I'm hoping it'll work out fine. I'd rather not hang a 120.2 off the back, but we'll see. Using the EK pump with res attached; gonna mount it on a 3.5-5.25 with the EK pump tray jawn. Not sure if it's gonna be silver/UV blue 3/8" ID feser tubes or clear, but there's definitely going to be a mix of Primochill dye-bombs (which I made a mess with twice! I HATE THEM) to try to get a blue-green-ish color at least in the res.

This is for my girlfriend, who needs a desktop, and I need to put something together. Win-win. She's getting the 275 that was replaced (new and not refurb'd).

Should be a pretty good project. I'm jealous of her case.

Pics when I'm home from work. If I can tear myself away from Pokemon Black. :P

Hello again everybody! Good to be back!

Xtreme Addict
    Definitely going to follow this! Good to see the leak hasn't deterred you from liquid cooling .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Definitely going to follow this! Good to see the leak hasn't deterred you from liquid cooling .

My house could flood and I wouldn't stop.

Hopefully you won't have to follow for long, like the other one. Gotta get it done. Takes up too much table space. You'll see what else I've been working on soon enough

Not much explanation required for this. WYSIWYG really covers it.
    When something is particularly frustrating or shiny I'll let you know.

The client

Her component chariot:

I love the layout and the 7 bays. Too bad I'm ripping out the bottom 3

Most of the parts...

Stupid dye-bomb suddenly erupted and got dye everywhere but my bright green hoodie.

It was an alright color til I put too much blue and green in. More on the color later...

Finally using one of my gold Supreme HFs.

Switched to AM3 and using plate 1.

DD xflow that's been sitting NIB in a drawer for a year maybe.

Fantastic board!

even reflected on gold that paste is gross.

found that at school in a computer lab; beat and suck under the computer. That's as exact as I've ever gotten with tightening blocks down.

Blue tracers woot!

This is awesome until you try to plug sata cables in >:|
    It should have been one long channel...

Least I've mounted to a board in a while.

PSU, (which has space issues on the sata cables in the back) missing drive bays, board mounted, etc.

Won't fit upside down, and there's scratches. Ugh. Whatever.

Fortunately I had one of these lying around, because the CPU power wouldn't reach (even if the PSU had the cables closer to the back wall).

And a mess unfinished back shot, why not... Don't even feel like rotating it.

Xtreme Member
    I like it quick and dirty!

Looks like a nice little build, but imo you are using way too much paste on that CPU. Something like 1/3 of what you used should be enough.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wega52 View Post
    I like it quick and dirty!

Looks like a nice little build, but imo you are using way too much paste on that CPU. Something like 1/3 of what you used should be enough.
    That was my first reaction as well I thought paste was supposed to fill in the tiny scratches between the components that prevented a pure metal-to-metal fit? :P

Xtreme Member
    Yes it's just suppose to fill out any little unevenness there might be on the CPU or HS. Ensure good contact.

It actually isn't too much, and since the supreme is sooooo bowed on the bottom, it should be ok.

I just get it stuck on one finger, then the other while cleaning it off, then my knuckles while not looking, then somehow my face....

I'll take it off and re-assess because you're probably right.

Sigh...

So, I ordered an EK res/pump thinking it would work with my DD pump (which it totally says it does).

And really, it would, if I had the new version...

Point being, I have to order a new pump. Getting the silver CD drive I forgot to order twice as well. Unless I think of another way.