Thread: thermal probes in water

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar

thermal probes in water

Hi, I have a 2 questions,

I just recieved an Aerogate II by Cooler Master. It comes with 4 thermal probes, Could i put them directly in my Resivior and have them work, or will they fail if they are submerged in water?

Plus I was thinking of diping them in "Plasti Dip" from Home Depot to coat them and make sure the contacts didn't come in contact with the water, i figured that would give me even more protection.

Second question. I have read a lot about liquids for my cooling loops. I know the conventional wisdon says use a combo of stuff to run your cooling loop, I think it was distilled water, Something like HydrX and or Pentosin plus a dye.

So Where do you gert distilled water?(noob question) PLus I need my coolent to be able to go sub-zero, so would I need another component?

I would like a all in one solution, I do see some that get good write up's, but I have seen a LOT of members saying only use the distilled water and bla bla bla....

I would like to get a 1 part solution, is there one that poeople DO like?

PrimoChill PC ICE
    FluidXP + ext
    Feser One UV Cooling Fluid
    Thermaltake CL-W0148 Water Cooling Coolant

From what i have read this seems to be the best?
    PrimoChill PC ICE

thanks for your time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ag_probe_big.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	72122  
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Member
    If you are going sub-zero (dunno if you are talking C or F here) you should look into something like MCT -5 (http://www.dangerden.com/store/produ...&cat=63&page=1) or its brother MCT -40 or the aforementioned PC Ice. If you go the homebrew route, you can get distilled water at any supermarket or hardware store.

Also, looking at the picture, the "probe" on the left is a header. You definitely don't want to submerge that guy. As for the one on the right, I got nothing.
    ASUS P7P55D
    Intel CORE i7-860
    EVGA 8800gt 512mb
    Corsair 800D

Xtreme Addict
    The plasti-kote might work, but be careful; it could be soluble by some PC coolants.

I would suggest coating it in marine epoxy.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Member
    coating the probe may artificially insulate it, hence ruining any temp readings you get?

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    coating the probe may artificially insulate it, hence ruining any temp readings you get?

Yea that is what i was worried about to, if the plasti coat would change the readings. At least the probes are cheap.

But I want to monitor my resi temps, for an overall idea of how they are running

in the pic, one end is the connector the other is the probe.

thanks for your thoughts
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I've tried several in regular water, and as long as they are not digital sensors, they seem to do just fine.

You could coat it by a little epoxy dipping if you wanted to. At worst, it's just going to delay the responsivness a little, but not enough to really matter that much I don't think.