Thread: I am such a dumbo

Xtreme X.I.P.

I am such a dumbo

We've all heard silly stories about people ringing tech support lines, I should know I worked on one for 5 years. We once had a guy who thought you could add a card by taking the case off and propping it up inside anywhere, no kidding....

So here's me today on the phone to tech support

I have a problem with my ISP. I keep uploading files through FTP and they transfer fine but when I try to see BIGBOOBIES.JPG through the internet I keep getting the standard HTTP 404 Page not Found Error. It's driving me nuts because I can see some old files so I know the ISP web server is up but I can't get my fill of some pictures of our feathered seabird friends nesting and flying. So I ring tech support to find out what they have done wrong.

Talk to the bloke, he can see my old pictures but not the new ones just like me. So he looks on the server and none of the files are there. Weird. He starts doing some investigation but while he is doing this I notice my FTP client is pointing at my old ISP I left recently. Yep, I've been merrily uploading my files to the wrong ISP for the last couple of days

So he comes back to talking to me. Well, I can't admit I have been such a fool but he's never going to guess the real solution so I start making it up on the fly. I suddenly say " Hold on, I have an idea, I think the FTP software is sending the information but it is not saving, it must be a parameter somewhere, let me have a look" I then pretend to try some things before saying " that should fix it!"

Hey, and it did.

What a bloody hero, and the techie was relieved he could close the ticket without having done anything.

I just hope he's not an XS member or I will now be rumbled.

Got any good stories?

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Mentor
    Shoulda chatted with him for a while.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

HAHAHAHAH Andy, great story. I've done some stupid things. The worst one ever was when I was chief IT guy at a national company, I told the telephone guy that in order to earn his salary, he was to review all phone numbers that had not sent or received a call in the last six months and have them cancelled. I mean we're talking many thousands a month in savings, certainly enough to pay this guys salary.

As it turns out, I fire him anyhow because he's really bad at his job and sleeps in his office. In the meantime, the disconnection order goes through that I had approved. Well, one of the numbers on the list was the main billing number and the main billing number NEVER sends or receives a call. Guess what happens when you cancel your main billing number? Yeah, no phones at all. CEO walks into my office "So what's going on with the phones?" . In the meantime telco had got back to me and explained what happened. I just said "must be a glitch on Bell's side or cut fibre cable" I mean I'm literally grasping at straws to explain this situation. I said "they're saying five hours for repair" (what they really said was it might be a week to sort all this out)So he chews me out about the lack of contingency planning (which he rejected previously because of cost anyhow). As soon as he leaves, I get on the phone with a Bell Canada board member who calls the President of Bell who in turn calls some engineer somewhere and turns my phones back on. Four hours with no phones at a big corporation and I signed the order.

I think I pooped out a couple square bricks.
    Duh....
    Last edited by Ugly n Grey; 02-08-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    HAHAHAHAH Andy, great story. I've done some stupid things. The worst one ever was when I was chief IT guy at a national company, I told the telephone guy that in order to earn his salary, he was to review all phone numbers that had not sent or received a call in the last six months and have them cancelled. I mean we're talking many thousands a month in savings, certainly enough to pay this guys salary.

As it turns out, I fire him anyhow because he's really bad at his job and sleeps in his office. In the meantime, the disconnection order goes through that I had approved. Well, one of the numbers on the list was the main billing number and the main billing number NEVER sends or receives a call. Guess what happens when you cancel your main billing number? Yeah, no phones at all. CEO walks into my office "So what's going on with the phones?" . In the meantime telco had got back to me and explained what happened. I just said "must be a glitch on Bell's side or cut fibre cable" I mean I'm literally grasping at straws to explain this situation. I said "they're saying five hours for repair" (what they really said was it might be a week to sort all this out)So he chews me out about the lack of contingency planning (which he rejected previously because of cost anyhow). As soon as he leaves, I get on the phone with a Bell Canada board member who calls the President of Bell who in turn calls some engineer somewhere and turns my phones back on. Four hours with no phones at a big corporation and I signed the order.

Duh....
    Now can you send over some wet wipes so I can clean the coffee off of my monitor?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Dave, you're losing too much coffee that way!!

Work related stories....many.

Stories I feel able to tell on a public, suitable-for-all forum....few-to-none.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    So he chews me out about the lack of contingency planning (which he rejected previously because of cost anyhow).
    This is my favorite part.... it's so true.

XBOX Gamertag:Fujimitsu - I'm lonely, be my friend!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Four hours with no phones at a big corporation and I signed the order.

Duh....
    Safe to say your name was "Mud" for a while, huh?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Now I know why Grey has Grey in his name, it's coz of his hair colour after that epsiode !

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey that was me that helped you!!!
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Addict
    lol what?

No way....

Haha...

I wonder what happened to UnG and Fujimitsu... both good guys...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Cruncher
    No it wasnt really me I just wanted to see if someone would be suprised haha Im bored tonight obviously
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've had two recently....i try to reset everything before i have to call Time Warner and i'm pretty condifent in it being them and not us where the problem is.......luckily i'm not rude on the phone.

First time the modem was in standby, DOH! I didn't push the button so either it does from time to time on its own or someone pushed the button.....i apologized to the guy even, what a dummy...
    Second time our phone wasn't working, tried a different phone, check, unplugged modem, check, took out battery, check, tried different phone cord, check........nada...
    Well it turns out it was plugged into "Line 2" on the back of the modem I simply feel the back of it and plug the cord in, didn't even realize it has two phone ports on the back because i guess you can have 2 lines and i had to plug in to line 1 obviously...my mom made that call, i don't even know if she told them "my son said he went through all the basic stuff and it still didn't work" lol
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything