Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No Prime Left Behind Math Project

Xtreme Member

No Prime Left Behind Math Project

No Prime Left Behind is searching for primes of the form k*2^n-1 for all 400 < k <= 1001 from n=260K-1M.
    A LLRNet server was set up

With LLRnet, you can perform LLR tests automatically. No need to mess with reserving/reporting ranges and all that stuff. No need to worry about whether your machine will run out of work in the middle of the night or while you're on vacation. Just set it and forget it!

LLRnet is very simple to set up--in less than 5 minutes you can be all set and crunching away! It's perfect for users who just want to donate their spare CPU cycles to a worthy cause without adding a degree of complexity to their computer use. (That's not to say that it isn't great for advanced users, too. ) It's also great for work computers, since you can set it up on a computer and not have to worry about having it run out of work while it's not accessible. (Sorry, LLRnet doesn't currently work with HTTP/SOCKS proxy servers. There is one workaround that I know of, but it's more technically oriented--if you're interested, either PM me or post here.)

Here's all you need to do:

1. Download the LLRnet client software for your operating system. LLRnet is available for Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.

Click one of the following links to download LLRnet:

Windows
    Linux
    FreeBSD

All are 32-bit; sorry, no 64-bit version available. However, because of the type of work that LLR does, 64-bit would have minimal, if any, speed increases.

2. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded. C:\llrnet is a good choice (or /home/username/llrnet for Linux users).

3. Navigate to the folder where you extracted LLRnet. Open up the llr-clientconfig.txt file in your favorite text editor. You'll notice a little ways down from the top a line that says the following:

username = "nobody"

Change "nobody" to your mersenneforum.org username. For example, I would set this to "Anonymous". This ensures that numbers you work on are credited properly to you in the stats that will be published periodically. (If you'd rather crunch anonymously, i.e. not have your crunching associated with your mersenneforum.org username, simply set this to something different. You can actually punch in anything you want here, though most users will probably want to punch in your mersenneforum username.)

Save the file, and close out your text editor.

4. Doubleclick on the file named "llrnet.exe" to start LLRnet and get crunching! (On Linux and FreeBSD this will be just "llrnet".) You'll see an LLRnet icon appear in your system tray if you're running Windows, and you can right-click on the icon and click a button to pop up a GUI from which you can monitor your work. You can click another button on the right-click menu to open up a console and monitor your work from there. (Note: When you want to close out the console window, don't just close out the window. Instead, right-click on the LLRnet icon, and click "detach console". Otherwise, you'll close out the LLRnet program, which you probably don't want to do.) Linux users won't see a system tray icon, but they will get a GUI that pops up if they're using the stock version. (If you want to get the GUI back up after closing it out, navigate to your LLRnet folder and run the remote-gui.sh file.) To see the console, you'll want to start LLRnet from a command window--navigate to the LLRnet folder, and type the command "./llrnet" (without quotes). (With the console open, simply press Ctrl-C to stop LLRnet.)

5. If you want to have LLRnet run automatically when you start your computer, simply right-click the LLRnet system tray icon and click "Add LLRnet service". Or, if you'd rather only run LLRnet when your username is logged on, click the Start button, and navigate to All Programs, then double-click on the item named "Startup". A folder window will open. In a separate window, navigate to your LLRnet folder. Drag the llrnet.exe icon, with the right mouse button, to the Startup folder, and let go of the mouse button. Choose "Create Shortcut" from the menu that appears.

For Linux, how you set a program to run at startup depends on your distribution. Just post a message here and someone will try to help.

LLRnet FAQ

Q: Is there a deadline for returning LLRnet results?
    A: Yes. Currently the deadline is 7 days from the time when the number was handed out to your client. After 7 days, if you still haven't finished crunching your number (or simply haven't been able to return it yet even if it is finished), it will be assigned to another person.

Q: Can I cancel a number that I don't actually want to crunch for whatever reason, or is over deadline?
    A: Yes. Simply open up a command prompt (on Windows it's Start>Run, then type "cmd" and press Enter), navigate to the LLRnet folder (by typing the "cd" command, such as: "cd c:\llrnet"), and type the command "llrnet -c" and press Enter. LLRnet will start, cancel the current number, and close. (Your command window will still be left open.) Note that if you have a cache size greater than 1 (the default is 5), then you'll have to enter that command again for each additional number in the cache that you want to cancel. (LLRnet will say "no numbers left to cancel" if you've canceled them all and you execute the command again.)

Q: Can I run LLRnet on a multi-core system and still utilize all the cores?
    Yes, though LLRnet by default can only utilize one core. Thus, you'll have to run multiple copies of LLRnet. Simply, when installing, extract the archive you downloaded into as many folders as you have cores (such as c:\llrnet, c:\llrnet2, etc.). Then, configure the llr-clientconfig.txt for each core (you have to configure each installation separately--and make sure to change the GUIPort value to something different on everything except the first installation. You'll also have to change this value in the llr-guiconfig.txt for the installations that have been set to a different GUIPort.), and run the llrnet.exe (or "llrnet" on Linux/FreeBSD) in each installation. You'll see as many LLRnet icons in your system tray as you have cores--you can control each core's LLRnet separately. (You can also configure one core's GUI to control all the other cores, too, though that's a little bit more of an advanced topic--you can either try to figure it out on your own, or just post here begging for help. )

Q: I'm not constantly connected to the Internet. Can I set LLRnet to keep a larger queue to last until the next connect?
    A: Yes. Simply close out LLRnet, open up llr-clientconfig.txt, set the "WUCacheSize" value to however many workunits you want to keep in queue, and restart LLRnet. The maximum is 100, though that should be more than plenty even for the small numbers we're doing right now.

Q: I'm on a team. do I have to do anything special with LLRnet?
    A: Yes. Simply edit the llr-clientconfig.txt file so that the line that says
    username = "yournickname"
    instead says
    username = "teamname_yournickname"
    username = "XtremeSystems_yournickname"

Q: I'm already experienced with LLRnet, and I just want to know what to punch in to my already-set-up copy of LLRnet for it to work with NPLB. Out with it man, already!
    A: server = "crus.dynip.telepac.pt"
    port = 300

Forum at http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82

On www.rieselprime.org -> NPLB Project (left menu) you can find many project information
    and links to the current scoring tables. Also available is the status of the Team Drives with current
    reservations and completions and found primes too.

Please help us. The server is handing small numbers to test, less than 3 minutes per candidate, fast wu's as we all like..lol

Carlos
    Last edited by em99010pepe; 02-09-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    Free-DC Mercenaries member

Xtreme Member
    Here's some manual stats. An automatic one is in discussion...

This NPLB LLRnet server has tested 2906 numbers so far (04 Feb 08).
    Those 2906 numbers were divided up among various users as follows:

Free-DC_IronBits: 2351 numbers tested, 80&#37; of total
    Free-DC_em99010pepe: 223 numbers tested, 7% of total
    kar_bon: 213 numbers tested, 7% of total
    Anonymous: 117 numbers tested, 4% of total
    MiniGeek: 2 numbers tested, 0% of total

----------------------
    Team Stats

Free-DC: 2574 numbers tested, 89% of total
    [No Team]: 332 numbers tested, 11% of total

Xtreme Member
    LLRNet stats update.

A 24 hour rally will take place next Saturday starting at 7 PM GMT.

Is this in Teh Vault?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Is this in Teh Vault?
    No but I hope to see at least one XS member who doesn't run a DC for the stats but for the goal of the project.

Oh. I don't run for the stats per se.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
    LLRNet stats update.

A 24 hour rally will take place next Saturday starting at 7 PM GMT.
    I'll give the rally a try with one core. I just gave it a little test run. Nice to see LLR do a WU in such a short time.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks.

For information:
    between 1:30 AM GMT and 6:30 AM GMT (08 Feb 08) there were about 3800 k/n-pairs handed out from the server.

current rate is about 50 k/n-pairs per 5 minutes.

current k/n-pair at n=327270 (and about n -> n+4 every 5 minutes).

so about 68000 pairs left on server -> 113 hours of work (~50 pairs per 5 min)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    No but I hope to see at least one XS member who doesn't run a DC for the stats but for the goal of the project.
    It's 4am and I'm tired but honestly, that came across as a cheap shot.
    My guess is that most of the people at Xs run the apps for the project and the points are secondary.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    It's 4am and I'm tired but honestly, that came across as a cheap shot.
    My guess is that most of the people at Xs run the apps for the project and the points are secondary.
    Dave. Pepe's alright. Been a good friend of XSDC for a while. He's form Portugal. If he says something like that again I'll send Pedro Rocha around to his house to break his legs.

@Empepe: I aske the question not for me... but the others that might wany to know.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Dave. Pepe's alright. Been a good friend of XSDC for a while. He's form Portugal. If he says something like that again I'll send Pedro Rocha around to his house to break his legs.

@Empepe: I aske the question not for me... but the others that might wany to know.
    No,don't get me wrong,I know who he is.
    Just that comment either came out wrong or I took it wrong.
    For the sake of world peace I will let it go and assume I read it wrong..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, I was teasing you guys but anyway, will I see XS as second best team for this rally?

I think Pedro Rocha is far away from where I live...

(The rally will start within 8 hours)

Xtreme Member
    The rally is underway...thanks glennpat!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Put an instance on each of my 3 q6600s.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Heh, I put one on the Q6600, but I'm too lazy to manually do all the signing up so I set it to ghost as "XtremeSystems__glennpat". Been running about 12 hours so far.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Xtreme Member
    user=XtremeSystems_glennpat
    [02/10/08 10:28:00]
    895*2^329641-1 is prime!

Xtreme Member
    I suggest in a near future to use your own username and not a ghost one . Soon we well start getting into the Top 5000 territory and primes found will have to be summited to the prime database and you don't want to see your prime be credit to another person....

Carlos

Xtreme Cruncher
    I ended up putting 3 cores on this for the rally. The prime a couple of posts back did come from one of them. That was nice to see .

Xtreme Cruncher
    I suggest in a near future to use your own username and not a ghost one . Soon we well start getting into the Top 5000 territory and primes found will have to be summited to the prime database and you don't want to see your prime be credit to another person....
    Kind of contradicting yourself? I don't care if even the cure for cancer gets credited to some other hard working member such as glenn. He has jumped in with both feet into projects other XS people like myself are daunted by the setup/maintenance required. I consider him the XS expert in esoteric math projects such as this one.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Xtreme Member
    It's up to you to decide if you want to share or not a prime, I just gave my opinion.

Rally is over. For those who want to abandon I only ask to do the following:

When you are done, be sure to change WUCacheSize to 1
    WUCacheSize = 1

Then when it is down to just that one WU, stop the client.

Add this line to the config file and save it
    once = 1

Start the client one last time and it will finish the last WU, upload the result and terminate.
    Thank you all for helping NPLB project...the server is still up and running...stats will be updated within an hour or so.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kar_bon
    i tried to be fast.....
    so here is the first glance of our 24h-race on LLRnet:

http://www.rieselprime.org/nplb/NPLB...080902_24h.htm

this link in not yet inserted in the NPLB-homepage (will be done) and the scorings for LLRnet from the race are not yet included in the 'Overall'-LLRnet stats page (next to do too).

please have a look and perhaps more suggestions to implement.
    i will do:
    - listing primes found in race
    Thank you all.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thank you all.
    You're welcome. Congrats on a rally with no hiccups. The short work units were nice and LLRNET worked great in getting them.

Xtreme Member
    We are almost in the Top 5000 territory (n>349.2K) within LLRnet server. In this case all primes must be submitted to top-5000 prime:

Instructions for submitting a top-5000 prime:

Go to http://primes.utm.edu/primes/home.php.

Step 1: For people who have not submitted top-5000 primes previously, create a prover account:
    1. Select 'Submit' on the lower left side under 'Join in'.
    2. Select the 'click here to create a prover-account' link in the middle of the page.
    3. Fill out the form and submit it. You will be assigned a prover account.

Step 2: Create a proof code:
    1. Go to the home page in the link above and select 'Index' on the left side under 'Provers'.
    2. Next to 'search prover-accounts', type yours and press enter.
    3. Click on your prover account (there may be one or several) and press enter.
    4. Towards the bottom, click on 'Create a New Proof-Code' and press enter.
    5. If necessary in the little pop-up box, type in your user name (prover account) and password and press enter.
    6. You should now have a list of proof programs. Select LLR.
    7. In the space below all the programs, type in 'PrimeSearch' for the project and 'Srsieve' for the sieving software. Separate each selection by a comma. (Obviously if you did an individual-k search on your own, then the software may vary.)
    8. You should now have a new proof code and can submit the prime. Example...L442.

Step 3: Submit the prime:
    1. Go to the home page in the link above and select 'Index' on the left side under 'Provers'.
    2. Next to 'search proof-code', type your new code from step 2 and press enter.
    3. Towards the bottom, next to 'Submit primes using this code as', click on your name (prover account) and press enter.
    4. If necessary in the little pop-up box, type in your user name (prover account) and password and press enter.
    5. You should see a big free-form box. Type in your prime (no spaces needed) and click 'Press here to submit these prime(s)'.
    6. A verification screen will come up. If the prime is correct, click 'Press here to complete submission'.

Soon my strategy will be different, in case you miss the prime from your machines I'll send you a PM warning you to submit the prime and I won't post here the prime until Top 5000 confirms it as a prime number. Any doubts?

Xtreme Member
    We are now testing top 5000 candidates, stay alert!

Stats were updated. Thanks a bunch XS Team.

Carlos

Xtreme Member
    The server is still receiving work from you guys, thanks a bunch!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast