Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The MS Larrabee 720 Console

I am Xtreme

The MS Larrabee 720 Console

ok well not really the Larrabee console, but the xbox 720 console.

but Intel appearantly is pushing very hard to have larrabee installed in either the xbox 720 or another console
    unless the larrabee turns out to be an outdated turd, i think MS would be stupid to refuse such offers.
    now, once again larrabee is nothing but vaporware in my eyes since it only exsists on paper so far as the public is concerned, BUT... the potential is there.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10071/...e_in_xbox_720/
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The silliest thing in that article is their insistence on calling MS' next console the 720.... It's getting old...

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme Addict
    Larabee on the XBX3 would not be cheap.

There's no point in using a smaller config- Larabee is beautiful when it's a large-scaled massive cluster of sorts.

So yeah, should be G80 size or above. Not too cheap for a console that's supposed to kill the Wii 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    Larabee on the XBX3 would not be cheap.

There's no point in using a smaller config- Larabee is beautiful when it's a large-scaled massive cluster of sorts.

So yeah, should be G80 size or above. Not too cheap for a console that's supposed to kill the Wii 2.
    well you have to realise that Intel is the one who would make it cheap or not.
    the board itself is cheap, its not going to be expensive to make, all you are paying for is the R&D.
    also they are not going to price the Larrabee so far out of reach that the average guy couldnt buy one. Intel is going to push larrabee hard and affordable i bet.

intel will cut a deal with MS for some crazy goodness.

but only time will tell.....
    if MS feels the graphics prowess of the Larrabee isnt good enough then they wont do it.
    the Xbox 3 or 720 or 1080 or xbox 666 lol isnt going to be as powerful as the xbox360. i look for it to be atleast twice as powerful.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Banned
    Yeah I think by the time that happens I'll be a console gamer.

Xtreme Member
    Well, consider size, all indications show the larrabee to be a whole PCIe board sized cluster, ive got a feeling from space they will consider the single die of nvidia for this reason.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I sincerely hope all next gen consoles will be using DirectX or whatever else standard and Larabee ain't on that list. Having to develop for two different architectures will not make anything good for both developers and consumers.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I sincerely hope all next gen consoles will be using DirectX or whatever else standard and Larabee ain't on that list. Having to develop for two different architectures will not make anything good for both developers and consumers.
    larrabee can do every api you throw at it since its x86, the only thing that has to be done is a software renderer that understands dx/ogl or whatever you want.

imagine a console not beeing outdated within one generation of pc graphics cards. With a larabee like gfx in a console, just update the software rendere and you can do all the new and nifty stuff, without gimping the older games.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 09-06-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry, SM4.0 and above is already extremely flexible, most devs aren't even touching it yet.

There aren't much advantages in custom APIs, Glide was fast and lean but it still died, and nowadays every GPU in consoles use lean APIs anyway; Larabee would just be a follower not a pioneer.

It's just not worth the risk compared to ATI/nVidia GPU solutions, which will probably be the better GPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Cruncher
    That will be very interesting console if it never sees daylight.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Addict
    There is one problem with this rumor, that's the fact that Microsoft likes to have all the chip designs that go into the X-Box for itself. That way they will be ordering fabs to manufacture their chips, instead of buying chips from someone. They did this with the 360 to give them more flexibility. So for Intel to have to sell Larrabee's design to Microsoft or offer a very very compelling deal for them to get Larrabees in the next Xbox.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There are a lot of things speaking against this idea, and I sure as hell hope a Larrabee console will never see the light of day.

Nvidia and ATI are happy to cash in on console designs and console titles - Intel is the third player, and has no stake in the current consoles.

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/v...isualComputing

Look at this video, look at what this Intel guy says about consoles. Larrabee is our only hope for PC gaming, might kick the other two back to their proper platform and stop fiddling with the toy boxes. If they sell out, bend over and drop their pants for the toy box makers like the other two I'll just take up stamp collecting or something. Game over.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I doubt Intel wants to license larrabee out to microsoft, and I doubt there are many fabs besides AMD and Intel that could produce a hip like larrabee. I highly doubt TSMC could do it, and Microsoft sure as hell does not want to start buying chips from the manufacturer directly anymore. They got screwed on the Xbox 1 because they were still buying the equivalent of a Geforce 3 and Pentium 3 from nVidia and Intel.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I doubt Intel wants to license larrabee out to microsoft, and I doubt there are many fabs besides AMD and Intel that could produce a hip like larrabee. I highly doubt TSMC could do it, and Microsoft sure as hell does not want to start buying chips from the manufacturer directly anymore. They got screwed on the Xbox 1 because they were still buying the equivalent of a Geforce 3 and Pentium 3 from nVidia and Intel.
    And now they just buy some X1000 from AMD
    While Sony buys 7000 series Geforce.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    It's R600 not X1k

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    larrabee can do every api you throw at it since its x86, the only thing that has to be done is a software renderer that understands dx/ogl or whatever you want.

imagine a console not beeing outdated within one generation of pc graphics cards. With a larabee like gfx in a console, just update the software rendere and you can do all the new and nifty stuff, without gimping the older games.
    So what's the reason to make such a device if the S/W simulation of whatever can be used on pure H/W will result in <70% efficiency ?

Xtreme Addict
    It's R600 not X1k
    Actually it is the precursor to the R600.
    From what i know the PS3 GPU is just a plain 7000 series chip, which means BIG FAIL!
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

I am Xtreme
    So what's the reason to make such a device if the S/W simulation of whatever can be used on pure H/W will result in <70% efficiency ?
    cause hardware is limited, if you want to do dx/ogl you only can do that nothing more, with software -> write a new rendere and you can support anything.

imho thats the futere even for ati/nv, skip away from highly specialized hardware that only can fulfill one thing.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Software seems to work out quite well for AMD...
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Well considering the Xbox part has unified shaders, it is not an x1k. The GPUs are not bought from ATI. The design was licensed, then Microsoft themselves outsources production to TSMC. The CPU is an IBM design, once again licensed out and manufactured by Chartered.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Intel knows gaming software development innovations happen on consoles now. Smart move by Intel. Still, for the record, I doubt larrabee's abilities. I would like to be proven wrong because a similar product from AMD wouldn't be unrealistic. Larrabee will need competition to become a better product and build a software market to support it.

Xtreme Addict
    If the new Xbox support DirectX10 , blue ray DVD , 1080p and it has mouse & keyboard for all games , it will be awesome
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    If the new Xbox support DirectX10 , blue ray DVD , 1080p and it has mouse & keyboard for all games , it will be awesome
    why even call it a console?
    Thermaltake Armor Series Black
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
    Q6600 3.6 GHZ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    4 GB Corsair XMS2 w/ OCZ XTX Ram Cooler 2 x 60mm
    9800GT 512MB
    18X Pioneer DVD-RW Burner
    720 Watt Enermax Infiniti
    4x640GB RAID 10
    Windows 7

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    There is one problem with this rumor, that's the fact that Microsoft likes to have all the chip designs that go into the X-Box for itself. That way they will be ordering fabs to manufacture their chips, instead of buying chips from someone. They did this with the 360 to give them more flexibility. So for Intel to have to sell Larrabee's design to Microsoft or offer a very very compelling deal for them to get Larrabees in the next Xbox.
    Thank you! Though, this is not the extent of it. Why did ms buy the rights to xenos? To avoid the hassle that they experienced concerning xbox 1 with intel & nvidia. Example: backwards compatibility with the 360 was dificult to implement due to their liscence with nvidia for xbox 1's gpu.

So no, I don't think ms will use it.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a cluster of x86 cores is a pretty freakin sexy architecture for a GPU ...
    if intel can make rendering on a many-thread x86 processor viable their future CPUs are gonna be like a 4p-server + tri-sli on a chip. would a larrabee based console even need a seperate CPU?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast