Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Mithril

Xtreme Addict

Project: Mithril

In the days following the War of the Ring, as the Fellowship rested in Gondor, word traveled fast to all the peoples of Middle-Earth. In Lothlorién, Galadriel commissioned a memorial of the journey of Frodo the Nine-Fingered and Samwise Gamgee to Orodruin, the Cracks of Doom and the destruction of the One Ring. She commissioned her most cunning of artisans to design something fitting of the ones who had saved all of Middle-Earth. To them she gave much of the store of wealth of the Elves, to make a gift to the kindreds of Middle-Earth to endure throughout the centuries. Many and varied were her gifts, but among the most precious was mithril...

As in the days of Vingilot, Eärendil's ship that bore he and the Silmaril into the West and was set forever as a star shining to light a way in darkness, they chose of the finest woods. In the last of the war, battle raged ever closer to Lorién, and mallorn trees had fallen. Of this, the artisans selected those that bore a peculiar figuring, noting the last touches of darkness in the light, hard wood. Fitting then that these trees that were felled by darkness would live on in a tribute to the power of hope.

The wood for the side panels has already been pieced together from strips of spalted ash, glued and planed to approximately a half-inch thickness. Even so, each side weighs over 7 pounds, but there is cutting and profiling to be done yet.

I have the case skeleton assembled from 1x12 white pine, but it's with a more experienced woodworker, having a bow taken out of one of the boards (my apartment is apparently incredibly damp, and it's pretty detrimental to wood) and some router work done. I have more to see, but right now, my help says it's not quite time to work...

Xtreme Addict
    "The artisans remembered the gift of Arwen to her beloved Aragorn-the White Standard of Gondor, a banner wrought of all the skill she had, to celebrate the return of the True King to Middle-Earth. They then took the mallorn, and engraved it with the standard, for the Third Age had ended, and the Fourth Age was the Age of Men."

And, my help looks kind of bored. He wants to chase the Dremel, but my wife wants to sleep.

And the real work, which took hours, even though I've been an artist all my life...

It's just pencil now, but I'm gonna carve it into the wood in bas-relief and then silver/gold leaf it. I haven't decided if I will give it the ithilden treatment yet... But, that's many hours of Dremel ahead of me. For now, I need to wake my wife with loud power tools.

For the record, this is the picture you're trying to see...

Xtreme Addict

Two and a half hours. Next move is old-style silver leaf, with sizing and everything...

Xtreme Addict
    No lore update, just some finished side and preview of things to come...

And this is what I've gotten from a miniature wargamer friend of mine...

I'll save you Mr. Frodo!!!

Server for backing this up so I can redo in 64-bit and RAID 5...

And I can't make this up, this is one of the molds I have for the next phase...

Xtreme Addict
    "The dwarves gave freely of their skills as well, lending their experiences in the forge to containing the power of the magic held within the gift-a fire almost as powerful as the spirit of Fëanor..."

Someone on XS mentioned making an adjustable-bow TDX, and as I had one in the closet and some free time, this is what I made.

This is a plate to give LGA775 mounting, adjustable bow, necking down for venturi effect (later pics will give more insight) and the mounts for the barbs. You can see the 4 knurled nuts that control bowing.

Was just a cool pic. Least it's clean in there...

A different view, the edges still need cleaning up, but there will be more to this block...

The old AM2 top, relieved for the knurled nuts rather badly and sporting my G1/4 threading, as I have no taps for it... Here you can also see the size mismatch, how I have more shaping to do on both sides of that plate... And here the venturi/scavenger idea comes in-flares for each side, to cover entry velocity and aid in block exit.

Captive O-ring compressions (these are by Koolance, ignore the green on them, they're fine)

And installed.

Now for the fun.

Meet test board. I hate test board. May test board serve under me in fear for the rest of its natural days...

Blind tapped for hard mounting...

And mounted. It works like a charm thus far...

I don't claim to be an expert machinist. I have a Dremel and some files. That's it, but I still get stuff done. Still left to do is port matching, a new injector nozzle, and finding proper length screws. Test board was harmed repeatedly last night. It was harmed in the filming of this work. Test board is just generally here for me to hurt. If it wanted to "act" stable till it caught fire, it deserves it.

More is forthcoming, including more custom block, but this isn't finished by a long shot, so stay tuned...

Xtreme Addict

What is that, Dad? I'm too fat and lazy to get out of your bed and see. Show it to the interweb, I'll see it there.

This goes over a piece of acrylic, and they both get envirotex'ed before I attach them to the block. There's another one on the clipboard being designed as we type...

Xtreme Addict

The One Ring's Demise waterblock...

Happy Puppy has run out of happy... cause...

This is the most tedious thing I've ever done. OMG fail for boredom, OMG cheesecake for the look afterwards. Needed a unique fangrill...

To those interested-this was done with a Dremel, yes, with a diamond tip-#105 I believe...

Looks pretty cool, loving the war hammer. I sincerely hope your a 14 year old boy though haha
    +watch

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, I'm 26 and this is my side job. Been doing it for a LONG time. 7+ years for modding, nearly 5 for pay.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, this is gorgeous. I saw this on OCN or Bit-tech before, dun remember which. Great work

Xtreme Addict
    Quick while I get ready for work...

My case frame came in!!!

However... I mentioned some great news, this is part of it... My friend who supplied a new case frame, as he thought my pine one just didn't go with the sides too well... so here it is!

And for size comparison...

Xtreme Addict
    Moving forward, I picked up the interior wood and some hardware for the case...

This is all poplar, and this large piece has a really interesting green that shows up...

But this is a great find, four pieces with beautiful figuring and all from the same tree...

Currently looking for my tools to install the new brass corners on the case...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Very nicely done.
    If I remember correctly the spalted ash is actually a fungus that starts to "rot" but is then stopped.
    Produces a nice effect.
    Very nice carving.. a talent I do not have but truly appreciate.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    wow, you have some serious skills

Xtreme Member
    Great Scott! that's gonna be hella nice when it's done!
    Stealth Water

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanG View Post
    Yeah, x15 makes me happy...

Xtreme Member
    wow. looks amazing so far. looking forward to seeing the end result
    Intel D975XBX2
    X6800 ES @3.6 Ghz
    4X1024MB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Gold Dual Channel 4-4-4-12
    2x500GB Western Digial SATA II HDD-Raid 0
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    Corsair HX620W
    Water loop: Storm,D5,Silverprop Cyclone FusionHL, Coolingworks 32T
    My Stacker

Xtreme Member
    wow, looking good so far and im interested to see more!
    MSI Z68A-GD65 G3
    Intel 2700k
    Corsair H80
    4x2gb G.Skill
    eVGA 460 GTX
    Ultra-X 1000w PSU

Xtreme Cruncher
    you have some nice set of skills,

looking forward to what else is up your sleeves
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow... keep the updates rolling i liike the first few peices best but when you said mithril i thought you ment the armour in oblivion

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

I am Xtreme
    Bonus points for anyone that can name where mithril armor first appeared and was in fact named mithril?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Mentor
    I bet somewhere in silmarillion.... (if that wasnt vague, i dont know :p)
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Member
    Like it alot, good job! Will be watching for updates.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow great job so far. You can probably fit two computers in that case its so big.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I found my spider...

Spider Platform, that is.

More came in that box. I'm just too busy setting up Win-hoez. This should be my last post from a PC not Mithril-based.

Xtreme Member
    Looking great buddy, can't wait to see the finished product!

First boot with all four cards in? Is that how it's done now?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast