Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Core Phenom 8600 Benchmarked

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    what about 2k6 cpu score?
    --
    Faceman

Xtreme Guru
    AMD now a days belongs in the budget bins, no way they should be pricing their products close to intel, when they perform like this......the amd x2 is a cpu from 2005 and the phenoms barely beat it, thats sad, the only way for amd to stay in the game is to get in the budget bin and stop trying to make high end cpu's if they are not high end.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryArtichoke View Post
    I sure hope these are dirt cheap!
    They must be, Dell will be using them in Optiplex systems (mass produced office PCs).
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    what about 2k6 cpu score?
    in games i guess there is no difference whatsoever to dualcores.
    which makes me wonder... why should people buy a tripple core?

in games a dualcore is enough, and if you use apps that DO use more than 2 cores, you want a quadcore and not tripple core... lol
    exactly

"Nonsense cpus from AMD" not a bad slogan for marketing

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Did anyone expect any different? It is just Phenom X4 with one less core after all, same architecture otherwise basically
    that's what I was thinking. patch or no patch I've seen A64 better.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TopherTony View Post
    my p4 550J @ 3700 did 27 sec...lol
    ...and got raped by AMD in every other benchmark...lol

Intel has always been king of SuperPI and will remain as such. Too bad that even it is some 60% faster in SuperPI, it doesn't really mean it is 60% faster overall, let alone in servers where scaling is more important.

Xtreme Member
    it is sad to see more pathetic stuff coming from AMD
    ---
    ---
    "Generally speaking, CMOS power consumption is the result of charging and discharging gate capacitors. The charge required to fully charge the gate grows with the voltage; charge times frequency is current. Voltage times current is power. So, as you raise the voltage, the current consumption grows linearly, and the power consumption quadratically, at a fixed frequency. Once you reach the frequency limit of the chip without raising the voltage, further frequency increases are normally proportional to voltage. In other words, once you have to start raising the voltage, power consumption tends to rise with the cube of frequency."
    +++
    1st
    CPU - 2600K(4.4ghz)/Mobo - AsusEvo/RAM - 8GB1866mhz/Cooler - VX/Gfx - Radeon 6950/PSU - EnermaxModu87+700W
    +++
    2nd
    TRUltra-120Xtreme /// EnermaxModu82+(625w) /// abitIP35pro/// YorkfieldQ9650-->3906mhz(1.28V) /// 640AAKS & samsung F1 1T &samsung F1640gb&F1 RAID 1T /// 4gigs of RAM-->520mhz /// radeon 4850(700mhz)-->TRHR-03 GT
    ++++
    3rd
    Windsor4200(11x246-->2706mhz-->1.52v) : Zalman9500 : M2N32-SLI Deluxe : 2GB ddr2 SuperTalent-->451mhz : seagate 7200.10 320GB :7900GT(530/700) : Tagan530w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    re SuperPI: I wonder what would happen if a PI calculation program were written and optimized for K10 instead, and calculated PI faster by a landslide. Would people then use this as an industry standard benchmark as well?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AAbenson View Post
    it is sad to see more pathetic stuff coming from AMD
    Pathetic? Sure intel would have done Tri-Core if they could. They couldn't. Sure the K10 is a joke, but Tri-core isn't.

Xtreme Addict
    TLB patch averages about 20% slower results... on quads.
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/13741/4
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but it seems to have been overlooked. I doubt that will help on super pi, but on 3dmark it should make an impact.
    Again, i dont understand why they tested with the patch on, when by the time these are public.. there will be no tlb errata, or very few available that are b2.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Banned
    Amazing to see the amount of dumb responses, when several people have allready pointed out that the TLB fix hasn't been disabled.
    This chip will be amazing value, and intel will have nothing against it.
    Owning the high end is not everything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Pathetic? Sure intel would have done Tri-Core if they could. They couldn't. Sure the K10 is a joke, but Tri-core isn't.
    Why would Intel need a tri-core? It's not like their current lineup isn't cluttered enough already. Their MCM approach means they don't have to 'salvage' broken quads into tri cores, since each quad is made up of two perfectly working duals.

AMD is only doing this for financial reasons, it's much better to get something for a tri-core than to just throw the defective quads away.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    Amazing to see the amount of dumb responses, when several people have allready pointed out that the TLB fix hasn't been disabled.
    This chip will be amazing value, and intel will have nothing against it.
    Owning the high end is not everything.
    How do you know the chip will be amazing value when the official prices haven't even been released?

I'm sure it'll be priced competitively against C2Ds, but it doesn't outperform them either, even in multithreading. 2 faster cores = 3 slower cores.

Banned
    Because they will be cheaper than the quad cores.
    And the quad cores are allready priced to compete with intel.
    This means intels dual cores will be priced against amd's triple cores.
    And this may be a battle intel can not possibly win, depending on what apps you buy your CPU for of course.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If they're going to be cheap; i may get one for my mediacenter/gameserver rig
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

I am Xtreme
    And this may be a battle intel can not possibly win, depending on what apps you buy your CPU for of course.
    I don't think AMD will be able to sell them as cheap as they should though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And this may be a battle intel can not possibly win
    , depending on what apps you buy your CPU for of course.
    You make it sound like Phenom tri-core is superior to a C2D, when actually its not. A Phenom 8600 is roughly equal to an E6750 in multithreaded performance, and gets slaughtered in single threaded performance. Hence, C2D is the faster processor overall.

Also, by the time it is actually released, a Phenom 8600 will be competing against faster Wolfdale C2Ds, not Conroes. AMD will have to price tri-cores below $150 to compete IMO. We will see when it launches I guess.

I'd rather have a Intel Dual Core than this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon84 View Post
    You make it sound like Phenom tri-core is superior to a C2D, when actually its not. A Phenom 8600 is roughly equal to an E6750 in multithreaded performance, and gets slaughtered in single threaded performance. Hence, C2D is the faster processor overall.

Also, by the time it is actually released, a Phenom 8600 will be competing against faster Wolfdale C2Ds, not Conroes. AMD will have to price tri-cores below $150 to compete IMO. We will see when it launches I guess.
    Not only that, but the wolfdales will almost certainly use much less power and will be much better overclockers on top of offering better performance on a majority of applications. AMD will have to price these below the cheapest Wolfdale, well below.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    AMD now a days belongs in the budget bins, no way they should be pricing their products close to intel, when they perform like this......the amd x2 is a cpu from 2005 and the phenoms barely beat it, thats sad, the only way for amd to stay in the game is to get in the budget bin and stop trying to make high end cpu's if they are not high end.
    are you considering the clockspeed differenceat all?? The K10 core is a generous advancement of the k8, just not as much as we'd hoped.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    Not only that, but the wolfdales will almost certainly use much less power and will be much better overclockers on top of offering better performance on a majority of applications. AMD will have to price these below the cheapest Wolfdale, well below.
    Yeah, it'll most likely end up competing against Allendales and the Wolfdale 3M refresh, I think 3GHz+ Wolfdales would be a step above it in performance.

Xtreme Member
    Sort of off topic but how do apps handle 3 cores. For example if something is optimized for 4 cores, does it use all 3 or just 2?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    are you considering the clockspeed differenceat all?? The K10 core is a generous advancement of the k8, just not as much as we'd hoped.
    A design that offers a 15% IPC increase but tops out at a 25% lower clock is not an advancement. Now of course phenom offers double the cores but considering the 4X4 offers equal or better performance and came out back in 2006 it's hard to consider the Phenom at this point anything but a step backward.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=176857
    Last edited by Periander6; 02-19-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Did anyone expect any different? It is just Phenom X4 with one less core after all, same architecture otherwise basically
    Problem is this is not the case: the Cinebench score shows that the multiprocessor speed-up is only about 2,66, considering phenoms scale very well in multiprocessor (around 3,85 for 4x cores in Cinebench) this is clearly a step backwards. I wonder if it's the TLB-patch causing this slowdown...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    A design that offers a 15% IPC increase but tops out at a 25% lower clock is not an advancement. Now of course phenom offers double the cores but considering the 4X4 offers equal or better performance and came out back in 2006 it's hard to consider the Phenom at this point anything but a step backward.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=176857
    The K10 architecture is a step forward. The clock speeds are an issue, yes, but blame that on the manufacturing, not the architecture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast