Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever replace mem on a GPU?

Xtreme Addict

Anyone ever replace mem on a GPU?

I was thinking of giving this a try, but Im not sure of what is needed to do the soldering. Is there a special way to solder on mem?
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i once saw a crazy rusian guy do this

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The "normal" way to solder BGA chips is with an "oven" ( special machinery )
    You can do it yourself without an "oven" but success isn't guaranteed
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

IT Engineer in the making
    This might sound harsh now, but if you have to ask such a question here, chances that you'll succeed are quite low.

No hard feelings, but soldering BGA parts is generally nothing to do at home with "normal" tools. It requires special tools to be able to do it right. And even if you have access to such tools, that's no guarantee that it'll come out perfectly.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, have you ever seen the machines they make multi layer PCBs with ? You would pretty much need to undo all of the work they did and it would be impossible and take..... just about forever
    Heatware -> http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51939
    Ebay -> http://myworld.ebay.com/onewhoisplug
    Feel Free to hop in my ventrio server and chat with us
    Vent6.gameservers.com:4498

Xtreme Addict
    The reason I ask is I was told it is possible by the dude at my local electronics parts store. I didnt think it was possible but after I was told this I thought I would ask. Anyone know of someone that did this successfully? I would like too see some pics of said "oven", hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    This might sound harsh now, but if you have to ask such a question here, chances that you'll succeed are quite low.
    As for you, I dont need those comments, take them elsewhere. All I ask is information from those with experience or knowledge about this type of thing.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

all outta gum
    BGA memory is soldered to solder pads which are on the topmost layer. I have seen it done, in fact I have a Radeon 9800pro with memory transplanted from another one that fried. I did not do it, but it was done in laptop motherboard service oint. they had the approriate machine and equipment to regenerate BGA balls. It costed almost as much as new card.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    The reason I ask is I was told it is possible by the dude at my local electronics parts store. I didnt think it was possible but after I was told this I thought I would ask. Anyone know of someone that did this successfully? I would like too see some pics of said "oven", hmm.

As for you, I dont need those comments, take them elsewhere. All I ask is information from those with experience or knowledge about this type of thing.
    It's doable, but not easy.

If you've got a busted card, it can't hurt.. but I wouldn't reccomend trying it unless the card is already useless.

He wasn't trying to be mean, he was trying to warn you. I would have to agree. Unless you've had experience with this kind of thing, it's probably best to avoid trying it on a working card.

XBOX Gamertag:Fujimitsu - I'm lonely, be my friend!

Xtreme Addict
    So they put those solder balls for each mem contact and heat it so it makes contact to the card I guess. That is interesting, I wonder if I can find a place around here and get a quote for this..
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Addict
    I didnt plan on doing it to a working card. I have 3 cards sitting here with fried mem, I was thinking if I can find somewhere to do this I could get some cost savings by getting 3 cards done at once.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Member
    I've removed an IC w/ 16 legs. The down and dirty way to do it is to use copper solder braid to soak up all the solder on the current chip legs. Once you get most of it soaked up the chip will pop off if you get an x-acto knife in there and twist. When you put the new chip on get a little solder on the tip of your iron and drag it across the IC legs.

A RAM chip has many small legs, and the little pads on the board will peel off pretty quick if they get too hot.

Let me warn you, the chances are VERY HIGH that you will mess something up doing it this way!
    ES Q9550 E0 @ 4.0GHz (471x8.5) 1.256v
    TR-Ultra-120-X, 115CFM 120mm fan
    Maximus II Formula @ 1884MHz FSB
    Ballistix DDR2-800 (4x1GB) 1132MHz 5-5-5-5-15 4-55-8-14-11-3-8-5-4-2T
    eVGA GTX 280 @ 702c/1404s/1260m (1.175v)

Auzentech XPlosion DTS-Interactive Vantage 'X'-6,727
    300GB Velociraptor, PC P&C 750W
    (3)120mm, (2)90mm, (1)250mm case fans in TT Armor

27.5" LCD/Z-5500-office, 95" 720P projector/7.1ch-living room
    Logitech Driving Force Pro-Microsim Racing Pod

c[_]
    wrong type of memory Jason.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

IT Engineer in the making
    Easy man. I said "no hard feelings". All I'm trying to say is that this is no walk in the park. You either know your business and just do it, or you'll have to learn it from scratch. And if it's the latter, chances that you'll succeed on your first try are very low. That's reality!

Either have it done some place where people know what they are doing or be prepared to fail. As easy as that.
    I would be more than happy for you if you could prove me wrong, by just doing it and having a fully functional card with new RAM. That would be awesome! But as I said, in reality, I highly doubt it. That's all.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

all outta gum
    Eldonko. try asking in laptop or cell phone service point, they might have appropriate equipment.

Oh, and how's your 8600GT vmod?
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

I am Xtreme
    I didnt plan on doing it to a working card. I have 3 cards sitting here with fried mem, I was thinking if I can find somewhere to do this I could get some cost savings by getting 3 cards done at once.
    You know who to ask...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    wrong type of memory Jason.
    You're talking about the RAM chips on the gfx card, right? There are usually 4 or 8 of them of most gfx cards. I was saying I've done a chip w 16 legs, but a RAM chip w/ ~100 legs would just be that much harder.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    Eldonko. try asking in laptop or cell phone service point, they might have appropriate equipment.

Oh, and how's your 8600GT vmod?
    Will do. Didnt get to the GPU mod yet, I am going to try and get it done this weekend. Bunch of mem arrived I gotta test so ive been busy with that. I have done alot of vmods before, but I have to admit that im kinda intimidated with that mod, those chip legs are soo close together..

no prob celemine1Gig, my patience are just short sometimes if I dont get the responses Im looking for.. I was just curious too hear if anyone has done this themselves or got it done professionally.

cadaveca - what do u mean, can u hook a brotha up with a contact?? I talked to the active electronics guys and they are basically useless.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

I am Xtreme
    who bought the nortel place in Calgary? Solectron, or something?

Xtreme Addict
    Yep, Solectron. They do the electronics manu services for nortel now. I think they may be closing tho, not sure. Do you think they do services for regular consumers?
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
    I've removed an IC w/ 16 legs. The down and dirty way to do it is to use copper solder braid to soak up all the solder on the current chip legs. Once you get most of it soaked up the chip will pop off if you get an x-acto knife in there and twist. When you put the new chip on get a little solder on the tip of your iron and drag it across the IC legs.

A RAM chip has many small legs, and the little pads on the board will peel off pretty quick if they get too hot.

Let me warn you, the chances are VERY HIGH that you will mess something up doing it this way!
    Dont all shoot its just my 2 cents worth.

It all sounds crazy & highly unlikely to work but I have heard of people changing IC's on RAM using a hairdryer to pop the chip then solder the replacement back on & clean the job up as mentioned above.

CN

Home / Play Rig Asrock Z87 OC Formula/AC, i7 4770K L310B487, 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 CL10, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU, 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Sata Drives Mirrored, Palit 680GTX JetStream, Antec Kuhler 920, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech LX700 Deskset, AOC 27" Monitor.

Work 24/7 Rig Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force, i7 4790K L418C133 ,8GB Team Xtreem LV 2600, PC Power & Cooling 850WPSU, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 2 x 500GB Hitachi Sata Drives Mirrored, Antec Kuhler 620, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Logitech LX700 Deskset, Benq 27" Monitor.

Home NAS DFI P35 T2RL Motherboard, Intel E6850 CPU, 8GB Nanya DDR2 6400, 2X 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 SATA Drives, ZFS RAID Mirror On Intel ICH9 AHCI, Artic Blue 850W PSU, Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet, FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 RC, 64-Bit On 4GB USB2 SanDisk Cruizer Blade Thumb Drive.

I am Xtreme
    Yep, Solectron. They do the electronics manu services for nortel now. I think they may be closing tho, not sure. Do you think they do services for regular consumers?
    Dunno. But they should know who can, as they'd be "competition"...and if they're going "bye-bye", who'd their employees be going to, other than the oilfield?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
    You're talking about the RAM chips on the gfx card, right? There are usually 4 or 8 of them of most gfx cards. I was saying I've done a chip w 16 legs, but a RAM chip w/ ~100 legs would just be that much harder.
    We are talking about RAM with BGA 'pins', right?

I was thinking of giving this a try, but Im not sure of what is needed to do the soldering. Is there a special way to solder on mem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    hard to do without proper equipment

desoldering isnt too bad, u can do it with a heat gun, but resoldering it back on.. now that's a challenge..

best thing to do is find a mate with access to a BGA resoldering station
    It has been done before, not that long ago either: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=162867

EDIT: can't find other examples for the moment, but I'm 100% sure there is more. ALT-F13 (or something like that) has done it too.
    Last edited by wittekakker; 01-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow good link, very interesting!
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Member
    ^^ If it looks like that then never mind my above posts. I was thinking of chips w/ the legs on the sides.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah it looks like wittekakker's post, need one of those oven things to attach.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast