Thread: Custom Heatsink thread

Threaded View

ati 2600 pr AGP

This mod was not for the sake of "hack because I can", but maturely a very much needed doing (and i would take it all the way back to the visiontek company as a real complaint)

I got the AGP version of the ati 2600 pro. The heatsink was "classicly" horrible with a solid metal plate (photo) on the back, and an annoying buzzing little fan that stays wide open. so I checked around the web for popular alternatives

And ended up with the accelero revision 2. I hacked the back plate to match ram heatsinks (bottom and top), and to alleviate what I cannot professionally call a problem with that one metal plate going across 3 different active chips (memory, what I think is called the "pci-e convertor" and the most important, the backside of vpu) Everything became quite fluid and of course faster, and cooler. System temps are as normal as ever. I went with custom studs at 3mm for the 2 little bolts holding the whole thing together. Took some drilling, some bending, and my good 20/10 eyeball to make sure the heatsink was exact on the chip gently...

37c seems to be the constant idle at any room temp.44C fully loaded with a graphics test that strains CPU simultaneously. This system is back to 3 fans and loving it...100fps in HL2 at 1280x960 is enough to drive an epileptic mad. (I really do not to go much farrther than this...)
    Last edited by bgd73; 04-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.