Thread: VID Voltage Range - How does it affect overclocking?

Xtreme Member

VID Voltage Range - How does it affect overclocking?

Hi,

Whilst looking into overclocking my e2140, I noticed that the VID Voltage Range specified here http://processorfinder.intel.com/Det...x?sSpec=SLA93# is 0.85V - 1.5V. Is it safe to assume then that the CPU is within specification when running at 1.5V? 1.5V is quite a bit above the stock voltage of the processor, but then if you click on "VID Voltage Range" Intel themselves give the following definition of what exactly VID Voltage Range is. It is as follows:

VID Voltage Range: The voltage range set by the VID signals as a reference to the VR output voltage to be delivered to the processor Vcc pins

To me, that sounds like anything up to 1.5V is fine. What do you guys make of this?
    Last edited by renzokuken; 01-19-2008 at 03:04 AM.

I also want to hear its answer. I have an E6600. The maximum voltage labeled on box is 1.350V but on Intel's website it is .85 - 1.5V.

So which maximum voltage is safe, 1.35V or 1.5V?

Xtreme Member
    on my maximus formula i have noticed that there is a VID setting which was not on my P5W DH Delux, its obviously not Vcore so what is it?
    Intel i7 950 4GHZ
    OCZ Reaper 1600mhz 6-8-6-20
    Gigabyte UDR3 X58
    2x Nvidia 460 GTX 1GB in SLI
    2x OCZ Vertex 2 120GB Raid 0
    620w Corsair PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamonia View Post
    on my maximus formula i have noticed that there is a VID setting which was not on my P5W DH Delux, its obviously not Vcore so what is it?
    Can you please elaborate this? Or take a photo, that would be perfect.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The way I understand VID is that it is similar to SPD on ram. It tell the mobo how much voltage it requires to run at its defined speed. A low VID is considered better as it requires less voltage and theoretically can overclock higher due to there being less voltage required at a given overclock resulting in less heat. That dosn't mean to say 1.5 is 'officially' safe. It simply means some cpus require 1.5v to run correctly, while others do not.

1.5v imo, is perfectly safe for a cpu. I'm sure I read somewhere 1.58 was the absolute limit on 65nm intel cpu's but intel don't want you frying there cpu's so put a 1.35v 'limit' on the box.

Xtreme Member
    and the limit vid in 45nm?

I am Xtreme
    If we can believe intel specs max 1.35 for Duallies and max 1.37 for quads (about, Jupiler has the correct figures), most users keep the 45nm under or at 1.4 daily

Secondly for 45nm keep CPU VTT below 1.4 and CPU PLL max 1.6 for 24/7
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtremely unstable
    That's just about where my x3360 runs for 3.8ghz Leeghoofd. Load vcore is 1.375v vtt is 1.35v and nb at 1.5v with 2x2gb ddr3 at 1800 8-8-8-20... I'm not sure what setting in the gigabyte bios on the x48T relates to pll, somehow I think there is no setting in the bios for that.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!