Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD-DVD the beginning of the end...

Xtreme Enthusiast

HD-DVD the beginning of the end...

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...ef=videosearch

Walmart will stop selling hddvd player in physical shop. Just sale still online.

and

http://www.dailytech.com/HighDef+Sal...ticle10385.htm

"According to numbers from Nielsen, reported by Home Media Magazine, Blu-ray Disc sales were 85 percent of the high-definition split. The 85/15 split between the two rival formats represented the largest gulf yet, according historical data charted in the High-Def Digest forums."
    Last edited by nemrod; 01-19-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ouy my poor 360 HD DVD drive.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    Ouy my poor 360 HD DVD drive.
    Well, M$ could start coming out with games on HD-DVD and they wouldnt get pirated at least....
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor22 View Post
    Well, M$ could start coming out with games on HD-DVD and they wouldnt get pirated at least....
    Which wouldn't be playable on the VAST majority of X360s...they wouldn't do that.

Xtreme Mentor
    When retailers begin giving up on a product, it's over.... forget BestBuy, CC, and others, the Walmart thing is the nail in the coffin, it is only time before the others follow suit.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Cruncher
    I bashed MS for not including it standard on the 360, i guess it was a really good idea looking back
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    I bashed MS for not including it standard on the 360, i guess it was a really good idea looking back
    you can also turn that around. if MS had put it in the Xbox360 maybe HD-DVD would be winning the war. This cause they would have had a affordable HD-DVD player on the market so early.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    you can also turn that around. if MS had put it in the Xbox360 maybe HD-DVD would be winning the war. This cause they would have had a affordable HD-DVD player on the market so early.
    Guess Sony is smart for the Blue-ray huh ...........

Although If Microsoft did that, there would be $600 dollar Xbox ............. (considering how Microsoft charges $200 dollar for an HD-DVD add-on in the beginning ...... )
    Last edited by smashhell; 01-19-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    | Antec Nine Hundred |
    | Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 3.2Ghz (356x9) |
    | EVGA GeForce 9800GX2 |
    | abit™ IP35 Pro |
    | Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2-800 |
    | Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme |
    | ENERMAX INFINITI 720W Power Supply |
    | Hanns·G 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor |

Xtreme Member
    Microsoft's business model doesn't revolve around future proofing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    Microsoft's business model doesn't revolve around future proofing.
    Yea, how long did we have XP again?

Answer : Long enough.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor22 View Post
    its over usb2 so thats to slow to load the games
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    The war isn't over yet.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    The war isn't over yet.

yea, and Gandhi isn't dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mike8913 View Post
    yea, and Gandhi isn't dead.
    Gandhi is dead as much Elvis is.

High Def war is not over until Toshiba/Sony calls it quits, until then its never over.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
    Guess Sony is smart for the Blue-ray huh ...........

Although If Microsoft did that, there would be $600 dollar Xbox ............. (considering how Microsoft charges $200 dollar for an HD-DVD add-on in the beginning ...... )
    Sony has taken and stil is taking a huge risc with the PS3 by using blu-ray and Cell in it. But the gamble on the blu-ray part is paying of. If Blu-ray wins the war Sony will make a ton of money in the coming years.

MS could have taken the same risc, yes the HD-DVD drive sold for 200 dollars at start but i hardly doubt that the fab price was also 200. The added cost of a HD-DVD drive could have been split up part would have been added ot the selling price of the xbox360 and part would have been added to the loss that MS made per sold XBox.

It would have been the exact same thing Sony is doing now. They lose money per PS3 they sell. Part is being made back by selling games and part is being made back by selling Blu-ray movies.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The war isn't over yet.
    well and truly over I'm afraid.

Sony have captured the market with the PS3, the film industry are all taking blue rays side and major retailers in the states are only selling Blue-ray.

A year from now, HD-DVD will be dead.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    High Def war is not over until Toshiba/Sony calls it quits, until then its never over.
    Yes, sure, Toshiba will open a lot of stores to sell hardware that others don't sale anymore, then produce movie of all kind paying actors x2 in order to gain exclusivity, offer all the writer's want and so one...

The fact that walmart stop selling hd-dvd player will have nearly no impact on future hd dvd / bluray sales figures.... Sure...
    The boss is toshiba, and hddvd will win...

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Jesus isn't dead either. Amirite guys?
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    well and truly over I'm afraid.

Sony have captured the market with the PS3, the film industry are all taking blue rays side and major retailers in the states are only selling Blue-ray.

A year from now, HD-DVD will be dead.

Naaah HD-DVD will never die because of CH-DVD... As a worst case scenario, HD-DVD will become the standard for data storage because of it's higher reliability and lower prices. (until the pen-drives surpass them in price/capacity relation, of course)

In fact, if blu-ray wins I think it will suck because the rest of the world will never take advantage of "China's Ultra-Mass Production" capabilities. Blu-ray players will probably never be as cheap as todays DVD players..
    And that's bad for both consumers and tecnology overall.

About the 85% of blu-ray players sold during christmas, my bet is that 90% of those were PS3s given to children that just want "the next playstation" and don't even know what high definition means.

Anyway I think Seagate's CEO was right when he said that although blu-ray won the battle, it has already lost the war. Right now it's just too late for the blu-ray to ramp up as the main means of movie distribution. Fully licensed internet downloads are already too close.

Xtreme Mentor
    So you guys must have the inside scoop then, huh? Didn't realize you were such insiders.

The war isn't over. Last time I checked HD DVD was still selling hardware and three top studios are still making HD DVD movies. Just because you read a few articles about how Warner is Blu exclusive doesn't mean the war is over.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Mentor
    I think HD will win over Blue Ray. HP sold allot of their media PC's with HD DVD's installed. Walmart dosen't sell Lamborghini's either, but there still doing OK! Time will tell....
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nemrod View Post
    Yes, sure, Toshiba will open a lot of stores to sell hardware that others don't sale anymore, then produce movie of all kind paying actors x2 in order to gain exclusivity, offer all the writer's want and so one...

The fact that walmart stop selling hd-dvd player will have nearly no impact on future hd dvd / bluray sales figures.... Sure...
    The boss is toshiba, and hddvd will win...
    Be sarcastic at me as much as you want. Unfortunately for HD-DVD to be dead all shops must stop selling it, and all film studio's must give up on it. All see in this news article is that Wal-Mart has stopped selling it in shops but they will still sell them online.

In case you didnt not know recently there has been a major shift in sales, more and more people buy online. So this news is not earth shattering it is expected because Wal-Mart is limited on shelf space not web space. Real news would be that they stopped selling HD-DVD products all together, which they havent.

So save you doom's day sarcasm for when this high def war really ends.

So you guys must have the inside scoop then, huh? Didn't realize you were such insiders.

The war isn't over. Last time I checked HD DVD was still selling hardware and three top studios are still making HD DVD movies. Just because you read a few articles about how Warner is Blu exclusive doesn't mean the war is over.
    The people just cant help it, they want the whole thing to be over so they rally behind any news that says the war is over.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Sony wont license :banana::banana::banana::banana: movies on Blu-ray don't they comprise a significant portion of the market? Does this leave a opening for HD DVD?
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ite-229041.php
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...nks/433%22
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Sony wont license :banana::banana::banana::banana: movies on Blu-ray don't they comprise a significant portion of the market? Does this leave a opening for HD DVD?
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ite-229041.php
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...nks/433%22
    look at your sources, they are a year old...

http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog...hp?cPath=21_87 (links contain no nudity)
    those definitely look like blu-ray pr0n to me

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    look at your sources, they are a year old...

http://www.hdmoviesource.com/catalog...hp?cPath=21_87 (links contain no nudity)
    those definitely look like blu-ray pr0n to me
    Ooo 'Pirates'! I bet the kids will like that one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast