Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SLI Bridge in SkullTrail box sure of SLI on Intel Platform

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_78 View Post
    How wide is that board?
    extended ATX. Make sure you have a case that will accept it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ebay Hater
    Haven't used a case for a couple of years now, just interesting to see a blatantly massive board
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Will the FB-DIMMS be running ECC automatically since this is based on the server chipset?
    Yes ECC.

Turkey Man
    Zolkorn, 5s wPrime :drool:
    So envious as usual

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoLKoRn View Post
    GIGABYTE ODIN 1200W
    Cheers
    Got a total power draw measurement on that rig you posted?

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

Aint No Real Gangster
    I can see this being just as popular as the 2-way AMD board. Which isn't very. There just wont be a demand for it, especially when people see how much this board costs, which is probably going to be like 600+$.

These platforms are pretty much just like concept cars.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa View Post
    I can see this being just as popular as the 2-way AMD board. Which isn't very. There just wont be a demand for it, especially when people see how much this board costs, which is probably going to be like 600+$.

The AMD 4x4 wasn't popular because it ran hot, used way too much power, and didn't even perform as well as a Q6600.

SkullTrail, however, kicks ass and is very power efficient. Remember it uses server derived CPUs

Like any extreme product, it does have a price premium on it. That's the target market though. The guy or girl who always wants the absolute fastest there is.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Admin

Maybe...the difference between this and QuadFX was that QuadFX was not nearly the most powerful system around (unless you measured at the wall)...Intel single-CPU Quads were equal or better in just about every metric (in some cases being significantly better--especially at max OCs).

This uses the best processor on the market--a 3.2GHz Yorkfield. And two of them...

Aint No Real Gangster
    But if your going to drop this much on a system, you must be using heavily multi-threaded apps.

Which it would then probably work out cheaper to do a 4way quad opteron system.

There is already 2-way amd server boards that have SLI support.

What I'm trying to say is this makes no sense for almost any app most people here use.

And if it DOES make sense and someone needs the power, they are better off with a 4-way AMD setup.

EDIT:

Here you go, you want the fastest money no option system, buy this 4-way tyan board, slap 4 quad core opterons in it, and it already supports SLI.

No need to wait for this, and it will be faster. Either way both the skulltrail and this is unneeded, but to say the skulltrail is the fastest with SLI or anything of the sort is just false.

You want a fast but usable system, just stick with the regular intel quads.

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=554
    Last edited by WeStSiDePLaYa; 01-21-2008 at 12:55 AM.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Member

Talking

On setup now! i'll post some results next time but some ask from me Why if i install ram 4 dimm it will show single-Channel not show Quad-Channel ? but if install 2dimm it will show dual-channel
    Did your ECC DDR2 Ram Heat up?

: My HWbot Sig can't hold any more Awards

Xtreme Mentor
    It may seem excessive, especially with Nehalem around the corner, but if someone chooses to get it, then there's no problem with them buying it.

Most of us are fine with dual and quad core, but there are some that hunger for more.

If I had the money, I would seriously consider buying SkullTrail, but one thing would stop me from buying it. It's a dead end. Nehalem introduces a new CPU socket, FB-DIMMs are being replaced with registered DDR3. Of course I could upgrade the GPUs, but it's not a whole lot of fun when the CPUs are out of date.

So, alas, my opinion is, if I had the money, I'd wait until the Nehalem dual socket extreme platform.

With Nehalem being right around the corner, I'm trying to not overspend on my new build, due to it being replaced in a short period of time

Just my 2 cents.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

I am Xtreme
    Time to run 3DMark01 and Aquamark
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Turkey Man
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Why? If im not mistaken, single threaded apps wont perform any better than with single chip boards.

I am Xtreme
    Heh .. you're absolutely right. Dunno, everytime I see new hw popping up, I tend to yell out "3DMARK01 !!", it's a reflex

3DMark06 would be nice as well ...
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by THRASHER2 View Post
    Did your ECC DDR2 Ram Heat up?
    Yep it DDR2FB-Dimm, 800MHz C5

Heh .. you're absolutely right. Dunno, everytime I see new hw popping up, I tend to yell out "3DMARK01 !!", it's a reflex

3DMark06 would be nice as well ...
    Hmm.. for 3k01 i think not much different but 3k06 is very nice for cpu score
    it about 9000point on 4GHz and overall mark by 88UT-SLI on default clock
    about 19k !
    Sorry For My English
    OverclockZone Team
    THAILAND

Xtreme 3D Team Member

it about 9000point on 4GHz and overall mark by 88UT-SLI on default clock about 19k !

Ok what have you done with ZoLKoRn, he never runs stock clocks..
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Hehe Nice stuff, sorry I missed it before....
    Now should I get my tickets and come over to Thailand for some crazy clocking, Paizol??

Xtreme Member
    But if your going to drop this much on a system, you must be using heavily multi-threaded apps.

Which it would then probably work out cheaper to do a 4way quad opteron system.

There is already 2-way amd server boards that have SLI support.

What I'm trying to say is this makes no sense for almost any app most people here use.

And if it DOES make sense and someone needs the power, they are better off with a 4-way AMD setup.

EDIT:

Here you go, you want the fastest money no option system, buy this 4-way tyan board, slap 4 quad core opterons in it, and it already supports SLI.

No need to wait for this, and it will be faster. Either way both the skulltrail and this is unneeded, but to say the skulltrail is the fastest with SLI or anything of the sort is just false.

You want a fast but usable system, just stick with the regular intel quads.

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=554

1.) That board costs over $1000. For example, one seller.
    2.) That board requires Opteron 8000 series which is an MP processor, not regular DP. That means, it is the series that can support multiple processors per board while DP is just dual processors per board. MP processors (8000 series) starts at ~$800 per processor.
    3.) I'm betting this board has nearly no overclocking capabilities. Besides, it only has 2 x16 slots, not even 2.0 x16. It has 16 memory slots. Why would an enthusiast want that? For 64 Jiggabytes of RAM?
    4.) Why would a person looking for 'performance and usability' want more cores? You yourself claimed that it 'makes no sense for almost any app most people here use.' so more cores doesn't help according to your theory.
    5.) Games are progressing towards higher end physics etc. More cores, ex. 8 cores, would be beneficial. 16 cores with your system might not be beneficial due to diminishing marginal returns.
    6.) I could go on to prove how inherently flawed your claims are but...

Xtreme Cruncher
    oh come on, you must show us more results
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DShankar View Post

1.) That board costs over $1000. For example, one seller.
    2.) That board requires Opteron 8000 series which is an MP processor, not regular DP. That means, it is the series that can support multiple processors per board while DP is just dual processors per board. MP processors (8000 series) starts at ~$800 per processor.
    3.) I'm betting this board has nearly no overclocking capabilities. Besides, it only has 2 x16 slots, not even 2.0 x16. It has 16 memory slots. Why would an enthusiast want that? For 64 Jiggabytes of RAM?
    4.) Why would a person looking for 'performance and usability' want more cores? You yourself claimed that it 'makes no sense for almost any app most people here use.' so more cores doesn't help according to your theory.
    5.) Games are progressing towards higher end physics etc. More cores, ex. 8 cores, would be beneficial. 16 cores with your system might not be beneficial due to diminishing marginal returns.
    6.) I could go on to prove how inherently flawed your claims are but...
    I'm pretty sure you missed the point of his post which was "none of us need this ....but if you actually do this one is available now"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike8913 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you missed the point of his post which was "none of us need this ....but if you actually do this one is available now"
    Well I was refuting some of his claims such as the 4-way AMD board he linked being cheaper, which it definitely wouldn't be ($1k board, $800 per CPU minimum compared to $600+ board, $250 per CPU minimum).

The only point he has right is the 'no need to wait, it is available right now' point lol.

Xtreme Mentor

it about 9000point on 4GHz and overall mark by 88UT-SLI on default clock
    about 19k !
    19k? Only? I get 19.5k with Q6600@3900 and crossfire sighly overclocked...

Overclock it! Now!
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DShankar View Post
    Well I was refuting some of his claims such as the 4-way AMD board he linked being cheaper, which it definitely wouldn't be ($1k board, $800 per CPU minimum compared to $600+ board, $250 per CPU minimum).

The only point he has right is the 'no need to wait, it is available right now' point lol.
    He's just pissed about SkullTrail for some reason...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    It may seem excessive, especially with Nehalem around the corner
    Nehalem won't be available in retail for a year or more, barring technical glitches. That may even get stretched further given Intel's lack of AMD competition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Nehalem won't be available in retail for a year or more, barring technical glitches. That may even get stretched further given Intel's lack of AMD competition.
    True. It depends upon what your definition of right around the corner. Nehalem is still a generation away, which means a year or more, which is plenty of time to enjoy SkullTrail

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast