Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to wash my PSU with soap & water?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Back on topic, it wouldn't be a good idea spray water on it.

I would just use a compressed air or a vacuum to clean the PSU - like the

previous posters have suggested.

Xtreme Member
    i agree serial, i mean how dumb can you be to clean a PSU, that is not meant to be cleaned in the first place, let alone by means of High Pressure Water, thats just plain DUMB if you ask me.

how ever, if you dont mind voiding your Warrenty on your psu, then by all means, unscrew the 4 screws and remove the cover, and used compressed can air or air compressor to blow dust and dust bunnies out of it and while doing this, hold onto the fan as any high pressure on the fan can cause it to spin and damage your bearings.

*I'm not held responsible for anyone getting hurt or killed in the process of my info im sharing on cleaning psu's, as they can still hold a charge and will kill if you touch the wrong part inside the psu.*
    Little Mean Red Machine:
    2008 Saturn Astra XR|Salsa Red|2dr Hatchback|1.8L 140HP 4cyl|5-Speed FWD
    Main Box:
    ABIT IP-35Pro XE|Intel C2Q 3.2GHz|Zalman 9900|4GB Corsair Dom. DDR21066|ATI 5770 |SB X-Fi XM|2x W.D.V.R. 300GB RAID 0|S.B. 320GB|2x TSSCORP SH-S223B|Antec P193|Antec TPQ 850W|2x Samsung SyncMaster P2350 HD 1080P|G15|MX1000&G5|Win7 RTM Pro X64
    Spare Box:
    ABIT IC7-G MaxII|Intel P4 3.2GHz|Zalman 7700CNPS-C|2GB OCZ HP DDR400|ATI 9800XT|W.D.C. 40GB|W.D.C. 250gb|Antec
    Neo480|WinXP Pro SP3

Xtreme Cruncher

Quote Originally Posted by serial099 View Post
    I'm an electronics technician ---snip by UnG--- Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure that electronics + water = very bad things.
    You can't be legitimately corrected when you are so very right.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    ** patiently waiting for two days to pass **
    Seriously lol! Going to be a very interesting thread in two days.......... or maybe someone would be made like hell........

Xtreme Enthusiast
    .... this is something you'd find at other forums.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a vacuum is ideal, but a slightly damp cloth/papertowel for the outside/ bare metal is fine.

Xtreme Addict
    show me a pic of you washing the psu with the electric on .. lol

just tolerate with the little dust & grime ... open it and make a quick clean with some tissues .. why bother risk short circuit ur psu with rusted electronics .. not to mention burning your whole house if it give sparkies

Xtreme Guru
    This thread is a joke, right...?
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy617 View Post
    I see no problem with cleaning a PSU out with water, as long as the caps are discharged when you do it, and you wait long enough for all the water to evap.

When you say you cleaned it with high pressure water... is that like a garden hose? or are you talking like a pressure washer used to clean cement etc. The only thing that would worry me about using high pressure would be breaking components off, caps most likely. Depending if you blew water through the fan thats possibly going to die.

As long as its dry, and you didn't break stuff off, it should be still working again 100%.
    Yeah... He should be perfectly fine as long as it dries really. Most people are too close minded...

Xtreme Addict

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ayet View Post
    and from what I have seen on your replies Electronic devices + water =
    is not entirely true. there are a lot of electronics out there used underwater.
    Ok then please run your new PSU underwater and don't forget to videotape and put on youtube while you're doing it. Ppl in this forum always appreciate a good laugh.

Xtreme Addict
    sorry but this is 1 of the " " threads I ever seen @ XS, u should have know that there is no way elektricity & water would work together .....except u want to ruin it. Cant believe it u actually did what u were planning to do!
    Last edited by CERO; 01-17-2008 at 02:57 PM.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

Xtreme Addict
    Really not a clever idea really but seeing as you have done it anyway you will just have to make sure that it is completely dry before powering it up. I would put a hairdryer over it for atleast 30mins after letting it dry for a couple of days.

Worlds Fastest F5
    ...and the Muppet of the week prize goes to.....
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Addict
    this is an insane idea you have proposed!
    Get an aerosol duster and blast the dust out.

If you do decide to wash your PS (Cough, like a toaster in a bath tub) and we don’t see you here on XS for a while I think we will all come to the conclusion that maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all...

just Plz discharge any capacitors before dunking it in water!
    Last edited by Exahertz; 01-17-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

I might be mistaken in this but I believe you should plug the PSU into a GFCI protected outlet (with the little reset switch) when you try your "test run". Just in case. And just in case, don't wash the GFCI outlet with high pressure water if it should be dirty. Use a fine mineral water with a lemon or lime flavoring- It'll make your charred corpse smell better to your next of kin or fire/rescue workers. And just for craps and giggles- when me and my cousin were younger ( about 6-7 yrs old) and we were playing in his father's shop, he got the bright idea to bend a clothes hanger into a U shape and then proceeded to plug it into a wall outlet. All I'll say about that is thank god for breakers and an Uncle who was willing to reinforce lessons with a serious ass-beating. And before you think he's the stupidest kid in the world, I'll have to share his next adventure that only happened a couple of years later. He and a friend were playing with a lighter. "SO?" you might say, that's normal I did stuff like that- WELL, he and his friend were experimenting with the lighter by burning the plastic case on the gas meter on the outside of an elderly neighbor lady's house. WOW! You say, he really is a stupid f**K!!! IT GET'S BETTER!!!! When the paint on the plastic gas meter cover began to burn and spread to the painted gas pipe that ran 2-3 feet out of the top of the meter and into the brick on the side of the house the two geniuses decided it was time to put the fire out. "Really? How did they put the fire out?" you ask. They used the only tool they had on them, the baseball bat that they had been using at the park just up the street. My cousin banged the pipe several times with the bat until it cracked a hole in the pipe and partially dislodged it from the meter. This created a fire-hose which sprayed the side of the lady's house with a huge flame that luckily did nothing but scorch the paint and brick on the side of the house. If neighbors hadn't been watching them and calling the police those morons would've had to explain why they burned down a nice old lady's house and possibly themselves. For that lesson my Uncle had my dumbass cousin hold a piece of burning newspaper until it was getting close enough to burn his hand. My cousin started slobbering and crying asking what he should do because it was getting hot, and my wise Uncle just said , "Drop it you f**king moron!!! Never play with fire." Don't worry, my cousin finally stopped getting into trouble after he and the same friend had to have their stomachs pumped because they decided it would be a good idea to drink water out of a hose that was running from someone's backyard. Turns out that hose was someone draining their pool after the summer. And yes he is my cousin, but thankfully I was adopted and I DO NOT SHARE his DNA. THANK GOD!!! Don't be stupid.
    EVGA 680i
    e6600 + 2gb Dominator 6400C4d
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    2 Seagate 120 gb SATA 7200 rpm RAID 0-WinXP Pro 32
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

Xtreme Addict
    If I were you I'd be doubly sure and blow dry it FIRST so that nothing inside rusts. THEN let it dry out for a few days and maybe give it another session of the blow drier.
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6ghz G0 Week 37B
    Mobo: Asus P5k Deluxe
    Cooler: TRUE 120 (150cfm Delta)
    2xHR-05
    2xHR-09
    Mem: G.Skill 4x1Gb 6400HZ
    Vid: HIS 4850
    HDD: 80Gb 16mb Cache Raptor
    500Gb 7200.11 Seagate
    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w
    Case: Thermaltake Armor (4x120mm 104CFM Panaflo)

3dmark06: 16k

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchrist View Post
    Don't be stupid.
    I snipped it for brevity.. but that entire post was the best one in this thread and wins the Ugly Two Thumbs Up Award
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's ok to clean it with soap and water. I've done it number of times with motherboards and graphics cards. Make sure it's completely dry before turning things on. Only thing that you should be worried about is the rust that in some situation might occur.
    Q6600 3.6Ghz @ 1.276v | DFI LP LT P35 | Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 600Mhz @ 2.074v | GeForce 260 GTX | Auzen X-Fi Prelude | PCP&C 750 | Arch Linux ~ WinXP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 | DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR | 2x512MB G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Palit GeForce 9600 GT | Gentoo

Long Live DFI.

Xtreme Member
    Any news on the PSu yet?

naokaji
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtdonuts View Post
    Any news on the PSu yet?
    he decided to not wait the 2 days...

Quote Originally Posted by ayet View Post
    well for 5 hours under the sun, I already plugged it in the power source and shorted the green wire with the black to power it up, all your guesses are wrong, the PSU fans spins for a couple of minutes and then a weird vibrating sound after that it turn off by itself. I checked the inside and the fuse is blown. well so much for an old PSU time to buy a new one

Xtreme Enthusiast
    t00l of the week award, thats what we called where I used to work.

Everyone says what will happen... He does it anyway, and what do ya know? his power supply doesn't work.

I think it was a joke, or some one needs to do a few days in junior highschool physics or science classes. And possibly some common sense classes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But this wasnt because he "had" to if i understand correctly it was just dusty.
    Plus he wasn't using water at tap pressure, he was using a high pressure source, I don't know what you would call high pressure, but our pump even without a gerni on it would blow the capaciters off. No to mention the the possibility of electrolosis over time, and corrosion and rust and what ever else.

There is a difference to do something to strick rules and stardards and with some back ground knowledge than there is to picking up a hose and giving you PSU the old blast. Not to mention relying on it being dry in 5 hours after being told not to turn it on in less than 2 days.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBar View Post
    This thread is a joke, right...?
    QFT.
    Intel 2500k @ 4.6GHz | Noctua HSF
    8GB Mushkin DDR3
    Sapphire AMD HD 2GB 6970
    Crucial M4 120GB
    Noctua 120MM fans all around [dead silent]
    Creative XFi

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Arch Linux

Xtreme Member
    You need to create a positive pressure situation to keep dust to a minimum. Try installing some intake fans that provide greater CFM than your exhaust CFM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe (P5QD1406) || Q9400 at 3.4GHz || 2x2GB Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 || HIS HD 4870 1GB w/ Scythe Musashi (silent) || 501GB Samsung HD || Zalman ZM850-HP || Antec P182 || Windows 7 x64 RTM

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast