Thread: Random Resets on the computer

Moral Police

Random Resets on the computer

Ok so i need a bit of help with my computer....

Asus PC DL Deluxe
    2GB Twinmoss Standart RAM (not OC'd)
    2x Xeons 2.2Ghz
    ATI 9800Pro--> flashed to XT (OC'd)
    1x Seagate 200GB HDD
    1x Maxtor 80GB HDD
    1x Western Digital RAPTOR 10K RPM 36GB HDD

Enermax Liberty 550 Watt PSU

now the problem i'm having is random resets.

Screen goes black and PC reboots. Also i hear one of the hard disk's power down.
    *click* (head being parked)
    spin down

-- PC RESET --
    HDD Spins back up

i've ran WD Lifeguard diagnostic on the WD since its my boot disk with windows on it but it passes no problems, Every other HDD's smart status is good as well and not in a "vital" position to halt the entire system/crash it when it would become faulty...

PSU should be able to take the strain but i do need to add that ALL HDD's and the 9800Pro are on the same "connector" or "arm" of the PSU, however you want to name it.

I could add in another branch on the PSU since its modulair but i'm fresh out of ideas really.

SMART on all HDD's Passes
    GPU is still pretty alive and well
    RAM is free of errors

???

Well, basic testing methodology applies

Dig out a crappy old PCI video controller... strip the unit down to one CPU and one stick of RAM. Unhook everything and start testing by adding in one item at a time...

Trying to pick a single component is like looking for a needle in a haystack, you pretty much have to follow a concise methodology to track down the fatal component.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Moral Police
    thing is it doesn't do it like clockwork, it can go days without doing it and then do it 2 times a day or so.

Anyways i tested the HDD's already AND RAM so that should rule out those 2 already (memtest and consecutive tests of WD Diag. Tools)

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    check your temps i recently had similar problems with my comp and it turn out my idle temps where way to high.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Well the next most likely cause is the power supply dipping down on the 12V and after that the mobo... least likely is the procs,
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

It is
    I saw ENERMAX, and I immediately recalled my first and last enermax.

It simply burned out , I could almost fry eggs on that thing.

My call....your psu
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

I have the same problem. Random resets exactly how it's described in the 1st post. I used to have an Enermax Liberty 500W PSU aswell, but I changed that some 3-4 months ago and it didn't fix my problems.
    Since I first noticed the random resets, I've changed the following:
    - CPU cooler
    - video card
    - PSU
    - CPU
    - RAM

All replaced in pursuit of those resets.

Every stress test passes w/o problems (Prime95 on Small, Large and Blend, 2x MemTest for Windows, OCCT, Linpack - all for 24 or more hours, 3dmark 06 on loop, Fur Benchmark - all for 6-12 hours w/o errors), yet out of the blue while doing normal work I get random resets.

My system currently looks like this
    CPU: E6750 @ 3.8 GHz (475x8), 1.5V
    CPU Cooler: TR Ultra 120 Extreme + Enermax 120 mm @ 1300 RPM
    MB: P5B Deluxe, FSB 475 MHz with every voltage on minimum
    RAM: 2x2 Gb Mushkin XP2-8000 5-5-5-15 Redline @ 950 MHz 5-5-5-12 1.9V
    Video: Gainward 8800 GTS 640 Mb @ 650 / 1950, stock cooling with RivaTuner fan mod (linear temp - RPM relation, 100% fan @ 80C)
    PSU: Corsair HX620
    HDD: Seagate 7200.10 S-ATA 320 Gb
    Case: P180, 4x 120 mm fans @ 1000 RPM

I also have to mention that during normal operation my PC is on 24/7 @ 100% load doing work for SETI@home.

Currently I'm thinking of replacing my current MB with a P5K, but don't yet have the money for it.
    Last edited by bkraptor; 01-26-2008 at 03:29 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I had the same problem when trying to overclock.

Gigabyte P35 DS4
    Q6600
    4 gig Wintec 1066
    biostar with nvidia 7xxx chipset

I tested everything and tried everything. Finally I decided to reinstall the o/s. That fixed the problem.

The only reason I can think this made a difference was that something got corrupted during one of the unsuccessful overclock attempts. I now have it running at 3.150ghz and max temp (temp2 in speedfan) hovering at 59c.

The only difference is that I couldn't run more than a few hours before the reboots would occur.

It is true that my OS is approaching its 1 year birthday, but I can't see how a corrupt OS can just reboot my PC w/o a BSOD or anything like that. I don't have the time to install a fresh OS atm, but I'm experimenting with lower sub-timings (from 5-42-3-11-5-14 to 6-42-3-11-7-14). If that doesn't do the trick I'll raise VSB to 1.6 and VNB to 1.45 and see if that changes anything. If not, I'll probably install a new OS in a week or so.

Seems stable now. I just increased the subtimings to 6-42-3-11-7-14. No reset since my last post, even though it's been stress tested ever since.