Thread: I need some advice from the forum experts

Xtreme Member

I need some advice from the forum experts

Hello to all,

I am saving for 3 years for a better setup on my computer.I currently have a P4 2.4C and a 865PE mobo.
    I am waiting to jump over the Yorkfields when they appear,and more explicitly,the Q9550,with a X48/X38 board.
    I found out that because of the low multiplier,the Q9550 will reach 4GHZ very hard,and not even the Q9550 ES clock very well.
    The BIG question is:
    It is safe to buy a QX9650 from ebay,or should I stick to the retail stores and buy a normal Q9550?I saw a QX9650 at bidded 700$.

I am Xtreme
    Only if the seller has got good reference, uses paypal with insurance and is shipping a retail boxed one with warranty then I would buy it... if it's 2nd hand it can be great or it can be an OC'ed to death dud...

I would set ya goal at 3.6-3.8 ghz 24/7 and more for benching and fun... and you can save loads of cash with a Q6600 GO or Q9450...

But if you got the money go flatout with QX9650...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

NREMT-I
    Don't overlook the Q6600. Just because it's not a "NEW" cpu that intel just released, it is still an xtremely awesome overclocker (g0) that assuming you give it a good and proven motherboard and ram to scale on, you are looking @ 3.6+ GHZ without issue. I am willing to bet that later on, Intel will release another Yorkfield series quad core with hopefully a straight up 9x multi. This 8, 8.5, multi stuff is strange coming from Intel. Personally I would buy a QX9650 (if you have the spendable cash) or the Q6600.
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    I really want to pass over the Kentsfields,I want only the Penryn core.Any more ideas please?

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolZone View Post
    I really want to pass over the Kentsfields,I want only the Penryn core.Any more ideas please?
    OK, but why? Do you think there that much faster
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Member
    I read on the net all the tests,till they appeared as ES,that they should be 10% faster than a Kentsfield clock per clock.
    On the forums there are also some people which tested Q9550,and it does not seem to climb too much in overclocking because of the very low multiplier.
    I really had hopes in the Q9550,but the multiplier is very low,and since the cpus are already at FSB1333 at stock speed,you cannot climb that much in fsb without stressing the motherboard too.I guess that with the Xtreme Editions,you can only modify the multiplier,and the fsb will stay the same

Also,I want to know if it is better to get a QX6850 than a Q9550
    Last edited by CoolZone; 01-13-2008 at 01:30 AM.