Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Rad Chiller Concept

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    actually i was going to keep the hot side and cold side seperate.

so hotside

DDC-3.2 or D-tek DB-1 pump IF it tests good.

Pump -> hotside -> MCR320 -> T-line -> Pump

Cold side would be inline right after the radiator first, and then alone.

im not going to recycle the water, would make no sense to do that.

it will be fun to see what kind of temps that chiller will make at the CPU when it's not tied to the hot side,
    you should have some great numbers/temps.

you lucky *^*&^& best of luck with that CRazy CHILLER.

Keep us posted,
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Coat It with GOOOO

so hotside

DDC-3.2 or D-tek DB-1 pump IF it tests good.

Pump -> hotside -> MCR320 -> T-line -> Pump

Cold side would be inline right after the radiator first, and then alone.

im not going to recycle the water, would make no sense to do that.
    hehe, yup, you'd basically just be adding the heat pulled out back to the loop, plus the heat created due to the low efficiency.

I just started following your thread as I'm thinking about doing something similar, only I'm wanting to hit sub ambient temps so the cold loop will be completely insulated from the air with no radiator. It almost seems as if I got the idea to do it right as a bunch of others on the forums here did too only I'm being all lazy about getting started.

I think you might find that with the ammount of wattage you have on their you might be better off adding the rad on the cool side to the hot side of the loop and keeping that cooler. I haven't read through the whole thread, but It looks like your going to be putting upwards of 400W worth of TEC's on there. That's more then enough to pull heat off most CPU/NB/VGA setups.

I didn't see if the math was fully fleshed out, but basically your onto a system that is modeled by a few sets of equations. The solution comes in finding the steady state temperature of the loop that balances the energy in and out of the two loops.

Cold loop
    Qout=Qin
    Qout=Qtec+Qrad
    Qin=Qcpu+Qpump

Qtec=f(∆T,Qmax,∆Tmax,Vtec)
    Qrad=f(Urad,∆T)
    Qcpu=f(freqcpu,Vcore)
    Qpump=f(Wpump,Epump)
    Urad=overall heat transfer coefficient of the rad
    Epump=efficiency of the pump

Hot loop
    Qout=Qin
    Qout=Qrad
    Qin=Qtec+(1-Etec)Qtec+Qpump

Qrad=f(Urad,∆T)
    Urad=overall heat transfer coefficient of the rad
    Qtec=f(∆T,Qmax,∆Tmax,Vtec)
    Etec=efficiency of the tec
    Qpump=f(Wpump,Epump)
    Epump=efficiency of the pump

If you were interested, I'm sure I could dig up all the individual equations, but most of this stuff at this point would be far better to calculate experimentally.

But, after laying all this out, you would come up with 2 equations for the energy balance on each of the loops which you could solve for the temp of the inner loop at steady state.

Edit: also keep in mind, that with the volumes and flow rates you will most likely be dealing with, you will only be seeing on the order of 1 or less degrees of temperature difference on the inlet and outlet of your tec unit. For any decent water cooling flow rates it's a very easy assumption to make that the change in temperature in the loop at steady state is almost 0.
    Last edited by Blauhung; 02-28-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Chasing After Diety
    guys got the stuff back from martin.

He couldnt test it, he ran out of time and i didnt want to push it on him.

He gave me A LOT more then i could ask for by building such massive blocks. And btw, there are massive. Heavy as heck too.

But, the radiator is not a safty net as i wished for. Its a Football Line Backer blocking me from dropping coolant levels.

So i am going to try another route. This will take the radiator out completely on the cold side, and utilize a reservoir.

I was thinkn of an external box to fit this. The unit is kinda massive. I honestly didnt think it was that big. Anyhow this was how i was gonna do this.

The internals:

EK-400 res. Or the largest possible, i think its the 400.
    Im gonna use the top as an inlet with a Y, i'll tell you in a sec on why.
    The bottom has plugs as barbs. Botom and 2 side on the bottom. I was thinkn of temp probe at the way bottom.

Now i was thinkn of paralelling the setup. So each of the outlets at the bottom will goto a pump.

Loop1: T-line -> DB-1 or DDC->MCR320 ->Hotside >pump Very small loop, with Tline.

Loop 2: EK-Res -> pump-> Coldside -> EK.

Loop 2 will continuously circulate the water to make it colder. I will probably have to insulate the EK, and also use neoprene tubing.

The second bottom barb will go directly out to the system. This way the water will be chilled, and the system will be getting cold water.

The top will use a Y as a return for both loop 2 and the path that goes out to the blocks. Do you kinda get the concept

I figure loop2 will keep the water cold, also since your calculations show it takes a grip of energy for the water temp to go up, i figure the chiller has a smaller loop so therefore can do more work then the larger one on the same paralell setup.

I intend on having 2 psu's in there. A Pico PSU, for the pumps and fans, and the meanwell for the TEC's.

So whatcha think?
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    sounds good

so the y splits in to two paths meaning the cold side will continue to circulate? so you kinda need like a reverse turbo timer, got to cycle the system for a while before starting up

hum still kinda confused pics would help

sounds like a plan

I'd like to see thermocouple readings on the hot and cold plates to see how they compare to detaT max for the TECs.

Do you have a fluke or similar device?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by evil-98 View Post
    sounds good

so the y splits in to two paths meaning the cold side will continue to circulate? so you kinda need like a reverse turbo timer, got to cycle the system for a while before starting up

hum still kinda confused pics would help
    correct.

The cold unit would be on its own setup.

I'll have 2 meanwell's inside or 1 meanwell, and 1 pico PSU. I dont like dragging cables from the pc -> Back..

The block loop, the pump will be internal on the computer side.

So yeah, the Y at the top is a double return. 1 for the cold loop, and also for the main block loop.

Banned
    Erm im confused, do me a paint drawing please. Can be mega basic

Just do 2 loops, hot & cold, hot nice big rad and decent pump to get rid of the heat. Cold use a Tline only

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Updates ?
    Heatware -> http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51939
    Ebay -> http://myworld.ebay.com/onewhoisplug
    Feel Free to hop in my ventrio server and chat with us
    Vent6.gameservers.com:4498

I am Xtreme
    guys got the stuff back from martin.

He couldnt test it, he ran out of time and i didnt want to push it on him.

He gave me A LOT more then i could ask for by building such massive blocks. And btw, there are massive. Heavy as heck too.

But, the radiator is not a safty net as i wished for. Its a Football Line Backer blocking me from dropping coolant levels.

So i am going to try another route. This will take the radiator out completely on the cold side, and utilize a reservoir.

I was thinkn of an external box to fit this. The unit is kinda massive. I honestly didnt think it was that big. Anyhow this was how i was gonna do this.

The internals:

EK-400 res. Or the largest possible, i think its the 400.
    Im gonna use the top as an inlet with a Y, i'll tell you in a sec on why.
    The bottom has plugs as barbs. Botom and 2 side on the bottom. I was thinkn of temp probe at the way bottom.

Now i was thinkn of paralelling the setup. So each of the outlets at the bottom will goto a pump.

Loop1: T-line -> DB-1 or DDC->MCR320 ->Hotside >pump Very small loop, with Tline.

Loop 2: EK-Res -> pump-> Coldside -> EK.

Loop 2 will continuously circulate the water to make it colder. I will probably have to insulate the EK, and also use neoprene tubing.

The second bottom barb will go directly out to the system. This way the water will be chilled, and the system will be getting cold water.

The top will use a Y as a return for both loop 2 and the path that goes out to the blocks. Do you kinda get the concept

I figure loop2 will keep the water cold, also since your calculations show it takes a grip of energy for the water temp to go up, i figure the chiller has a smaller loop so therefore can do more work then the larger one on the same paralell setup.

I intend on having 2 psu's in there. A Pico PSU, for the pumps and fans, and the meanwell for the TEC's.

So whatcha think?
    Sounds overly complexed. Why don't you use a large rad for the hot side and then just loop the cold side like you said using ethanol or something and insulating and then just seeing how that goes...
    Thermaltake Xaser VI Case
    ASUS P7P55 Motherboard
    Intel i7 870
    AMD 4870X2
    8 gigs of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3
    CoolIt Boreas 12 TEC CPU cooler
    Coolermaster UCP-1100W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by {GOD}Raptor22
    I find it exceedingly humorous how you sit here and continue to play keyboard warrior even though you know you are wrong.

Xtreme Member
    I'm really getting frustrated that I can't get on with my chiller now (Im at university with no tools). My design is nothing like this but the principle is still the same.

I'm not one to colour water, but with this I'd be sorely tempted to use blue water on the cold side and red on the hot. Much like stripes make a car go faster, my calculations suggest this will increase the temperature difference :p

-150c Club Member
    Hey PM me again mate, I might have some time in next weeks to test for you if you have all the equipment.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    All that work, hmmmmmm
    Time to let her rip....

I know how it is, it takes so much time to set this stuff up and tune it to get the most from it...Just love that big shoe design, should pull some major amps and put out some chilly willy
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey PM me again mate, I might have some time in next weeks to test for you if you have all the equipment.
    Thanks nol, PM Sent.

I guess you can get to the bottom of things on which way will be the best setup for this unit.

-150c Club Member
    PM replied.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I just had to switch gears over the the kitchen project for a while, but glad this is still moving forward.

Not making any more, but maybe with some successful testing, we can convince one of the CNC mill guys like Iandh to start fabricating them..

Xtreme Member
    WTB update.

--pak
    Q6600 400x9 1.5vcore
    P5kdeluxe Ballistix 2x1gb
    D5 coolrad32t Fuzion
    EVGA 8800GTS 320 600/900
    2xRaptor 36g Raid-0
    Creative X-Fi Extrememusic
    PCP&P silencer 750 copper
    Built for the sole purpse to play World Of Warcraft and troll XSforums.
    Heat

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by pak View Post
    WTB update.

--pak
    I'll raise you.

that smart of you, otherwise you system would actually be getting hotter because TECs create more heat then they do cold (even though cold is the absence of heat you know what i mean).

Xtreme Member
    I like the tripple loop set-up; especially if you run the chiller loop for a while before kicking in the main loop both before the system fires up. Are you going to run all 5 87W pelts downvolted to 60W or three 87W as origonally planned? Keep one thing in mind when setting up your reservoir, the bigger the res the longer it'll take for pulldown but the lower your load will be on the pelts once the system is running and the smoother any temp curves will be.
    *I'm way dumber than my dad, please have patience*

-150c Club Member
    Any updates on when its hitting my hands?

Nice project

Any update ???

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Any updates on when its hitting my hands?
    ack sorry nol....

Lemme pm you...

Xtreme Member
    I'm still getting parts together for my rig. I need to find a good low restriction two-way ball valve. The plan is to have the quiet, stock clock mode to run the CPU loop through a 3x12 rad. Change the position of the ball valve and the water gets routed through a dual-block TEC heat exchanger sort of like the one shown in this thread. I've got four 168 watt TECs and two 320 watt Mean Wells and another 3x12 rad to cool the hot side of the TEc block. It will be interesting to see what kind of temps the TECs will provide at load.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue69Less View Post
    I'm still getting parts together for my rig. I need to find a good low restriction two-way ball valve. The plan is to have the quiet, stock clock mode to run the CPU loop through a 3x12 rad. Change the position of the ball valve and the water gets routed through a dual-block TEC heat exchanger sort of like the one shown in this thread. I've got four 168 watt TECs and two 320 watt Mean Wells and another 3x12 rad to cool the hot side of the TEc block. It will be interesting to see what kind of temps the TECs will provide at load.
    you actually need a wye diverting valve. Page 399 of the mcmaster catalog.
    *I'm way dumber than my dad, please have patience*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
    you actually need a wye diverting valve. Page 399 of the mcmaster catalog.
    I'll stick with my simple ball valve. It has 1/4" BPT and no restrictions when open. And it was cheap - 9 bucks. Sort of like McMaster-Carr 4093T23 but 1/4 BPT.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast