Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magicool liquid kit + TEC + 2nd liquid

Magicool liquid kit + TEC + 2nd liquid

Hi there

Tomorrow or so I'm gonna get the Magicool Liquid Cooling Kit (for as low as 50$ :P, lucky ). I know its radiator is trash but I have a monster liquid looping "thing" transferring 1KW heat like a charm (~3KW peak) but it's too noisy and have no waterblock for that. Of course at first I'll simply use only WB from that kit but if it would be possible to place a poweful TEC between magicool and the "frankencooler" and chill liquid in magicool a few degrees subzero it could be pretty cool (in both meanings ) right?

So if anyone have some experience with this it would be very nice to help me plan and construct this

10x

Xtreme Addict
    Not to sound rude but in the past when people have tried this they run into many problems. The big issue is condensation. You will need a _reliable_ way to control this. If you can use Jimbo's method you may be in business. I hope this does work out for you and please post project updates and questions.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=189604&highlight=tec+pwm
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

PWM contoller is the easiest thing in this project for me Have some experience with AVR processors and analog electronics But my knowledge of physics is too bad to plan everything. What about condensation I thought why not to lock the case hermetic, fill with neon, argon or other dry gas (not to have trouble with water drops) and cool it with a small TEC connected to two intel stock coolers (to transfer heat without physical contact). Most parts will be cooled by liquid at about 0 / -5 degrees. How do you think is this idea gonna die?

My worse problem at this time is how to connect two separate liquid loops with a 500 - 1KW TEC to get maximum efficiency? I saw many waterblocks at www.customthermoelectric.com but they cost too much and don't think it would be good for chilling. Hot sides han be freely connected to a waterblock like that but for coolside guess I'll need to pick a long copper tube and form it as a 2-layer cubic plate because liquid needs some time to get cooled right?

Tomorrow I'll just try to cool the small radiator with another loop without any TECs cuz I simply don't have one and there are no TECs at local stores, 'll have to order from USA or Europe and it's gonna take much time and money so before starting I should be 90+% sure it will work

Xtreme Member
    What TEC or TEC's do you plan on using?

I'm planning about 1KW power divided in 4 stages to get better chilling effect. Four 250W TECs sandwiched between two waterblocks

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/...1_open_500.jpg

like so:

As it seems if I buy all materials from customthermoelectric.com only the "liquid junction block" will cost 765$ for this price I could construct a 5-stage vapor system with its own microprocessor, energy saving, on-the-fly perf optimization and so on 160$ for TECs is not too much but waterblocks are too expensive. I better get some 3mm copper plates and make some WBs myself.
    Last edited by Delfistyaosani; 07-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    err how can you make water blocks from 3mm of copper ? im guessing they dont have and fins or water flowing over them then ?

one side is gonna be the copper plate with 1mm deep and ~5mm wide track, second wide will de TEC itself. If the "intertrack" space is isolated well water will touch both of them

Xtreme Addict
    Ultra, yeah I think that's what he is talking about. But somewhere I thought this was done.

I'd say look into lower power TECs and air cool more of them. This will give you the same effect @ lower power as fewer very powerful TECs. Somewhere in this forum a guy used like 16 TECs all air cooled that chilled a wicked water loop. His idea was pretty good and worked... Maybe I'll search around for the thread.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Okay so I dug down and found some of my favorite TEC projects. These should get you started with some good ideas... Please do take a look because I spent a good deal searching for you

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=189043

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=207638

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=190846

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=183054

The last one is the build I was thinking about earlier. He had some good results with that setup and if I remember the water blocks were pretty cheap but worked!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfistyaosani View Post
    one side is gonna be the copper plate with 1mm deep and ~5mm wide track, second wide will de TEC itself. If the "intertrack" space is isolated well water will touch both of them
    huh ... so your gonna put 2 3mm biuts together to make your blocks ?

Vinas

10x man these projects are really a good source of EXP

However as I already got a monster liquid cooler (Mercedes's oil pump "powered" by a ~300W AC motor, ~0.5 square meter heatsink placed in ~100 liter water tank) which is capable of spreading up to 3KW of heat it wouldn't too wise to leave it and use air cooling with noisy fans.

My goal is to interconnect these loops with powerful heat pump to chill liquid in poor magicool one. As I get the kit I'm gonna test a "passive cooling" by placing magicool's radiator into "frankencoolers" streaming liquid.

Ultrasonic2

I'm thinking maybe copper is not the only way, because if I can get water streaming on the TECs surface it will be cooled anyway, so if a leave about 1mm space between TECs sufrace and isolation that might be pretty effective. What do you think about that?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But you NEED to apply pressure to the TEC's otherwise they wont last long

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm planning about 1KW power divided in 4 stages to get better chilling effect. Four 250W TECs sandwiched between two waterblocks

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/...1_open_500.jpg

like so:

As it seems if I buy all materials from customthermoelectric.com only the "liquid junction block" will cost 765$ for this price I could construct a 5-stage vapor system with its own microprocessor, energy saving, on-the-fly perf optimization and so on 160$ for TECs is not too much but waterblocks are too expensive. I better get some 3mm copper plates and make some WBs myself.
    I don't think you will do well to link all the hotside waterblocks in series
    The last one won't get much cooling.
    join them in parallel.

Ultrasonic2

And how much pressure should there be? I can add a "static" pressure to liquid up to 3-4 bars

zipdogso

I'll experiment with this and see which way works better

Xtreme Member
    there should be between 150-300 PSI total mounting pressure.

About 20 bars? I'll try...

Now I got the liquid kit but efficiency of its WB is so poor I think 0C` water will hardly keep ambient temp on CPU.
    Last edited by Delfistyaosani; 07-16-2009 at 06:04 AM.

Today I "simulated" a strong TEC to see how efficient would it be placing a piece of DICE on the radiator, after a while got 3C` on CPU at 1.3 volts / 4Ghz on idle.

Guess it won't be only a waste of time & money to order some TECs and finally construct the f***ing liquid-to-liquid heat pump

Xtreme Member
    How does DICE simulate a powerful TEC?

Simply - by chilling the radiator (coldside simulation)

Hotsides can be simulated with boiled water, fire and many other hot things

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Today I "simulated" a strong TEC to see how efficient would it be placing a piece of DICE on the radiator
    no comment...

zipdogso

Ok ok coldsides won't have so much cooling power but what's the other difference between a TECs coldside an DICE? I thought they both freeze an if your physics knowledge comes from another world that's another deal

Xtreme Enthusiast
    zipdogso

Ok ok coldsides won't have so much cooling power but what's the other difference between a TECs coldside an DICE? I thought they both freeze an if your physics knowledge comes from another world that's another deal
    There is no single piece of gainful information that you could deduce from using a piece of DICE held against a radiator in place of TEC.
    It is bordering on totally ludicrous and virtually every other regular contributer on here will think the same thing....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    no comment...
    That is just an awesome reply

ok ok... laugh as much as you want but pure brains, could you explain what's the difference for CPU what the liquid is chilled by? A TEC, DICE, LN2 or a snowman's ass?

Chasing After Diety

errr did and done that...

It ended up loooking like this:

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast