Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple set to ship Macs with Blu-ray support - report

Admin

Apple set to ship Macs with Blu-ray support - report

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rt_report.html

Quote Originally Posted by AppleInsider
    Apple Inc. at this month's Macworld Expo will will outline a high-definition video strategy that will see its weight thrown further behind Sony Corp's Blu-ray DVD format as opposed to Toshiba's HD-DVD, according to one Wall Street analyst.
    Considering Apple's recent 57.53% share of the highend PC market, this may be a bigger deal than it seems at first glance (not that Apple doesn't have market influence anyway).

Another nail in the coffin for HD-DVD?

Xtreme Mentor
    Well, the industry has spoken. And it seems the industry wants Blu-Ray. Just look at how many Blu-Ray drives are available compared to one hard to find HD-DVD drive...

57.53% share of the highend PC market? Many of those must be workstations.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Well, the industry has spoken. And it seems the industry wants Blu-Ray. Just look at how many Blu-Ray drives are available compared to one hard to find HD-DVD drive...

57.53% share of the highend PC market? Many of those must be workstations.

Yes, considering only 7% of the all of the PC in the world are Apple.

They sure do have a lot of market share.
    | Antec Nine Hundred |
    | Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 3.2Ghz (356x9) |
    | EVGA GeForce 9800GX2 |
    | abit™ IP35 Pro |
    | Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB DDR2-800 |
    | Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme |
    | ENERMAX INFINITI 720W Power Supply |
    | Hanns·G 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by smashhell View Post

Yes, considering only 7% of the all of the Computer owners in the world are Apples.

They sure do have a lot of market share.
    7% is pretty big 3rd or 4th largest OEM out there.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Steve Jobs would NEVER back what Microsoft does.. MS supports HD-DVD so its not surprising to see Apple go BR. Besides, Apple will charge an arm and leg for it, like everything else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
    Steve Jobs would NEVER back what Microsoft does.. MS supports HD-DVD so its not surprising to see Apple go BR. Besides, Apple will charge an arm and leg for it, like everything else.

QFT.

Looks ugly for HD-DVD...

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    I dont think its over yet. HD DVD may pull ahead since their players have now hit under $100.

Exactly - VHS won out over BetaMax primarily because of price. Didnt matter that Betamax was the 'better' format. People vote with their wallets.

At least in the UK i know of almost no-one that has an HD telly (theres only a handful fo HD channels, and they all show crap), so the market for either is pretty small here.

I would put my money on HDDVD being the overall winner here, taking into consideration that HDDVD players are more abundant, cheaper and who the feck is going to spend almost £400 on a PS3, when you can get an Xbox 360 with the HDDVD drive addon for almost half that price and actually have GAMES to play on it?

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ive said it from the start and I will keep saying it.

Bluray vs HD-DVD there IS no winner.

Eventually 90%+ will be combo drives that play both HD-DVD and BLURAY.

This is nothing like VHS vs BetaMax anyway. I hate how people compare the two.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Exactly - VHS won out over BetaMax primarily because of price. Didnt matter that Betamax was the 'better' format. People vote with their wallets.
    Actually VHS won simply due to :banana::banana::banana::banana:ographic content.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Actually VHS won simply due to :banana::banana::banana::banana:ographic content.
    One of the HD formats aren't allowing :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I think it was Blu-Ray...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think that Apple's support will put a lot of weight into the battle for blu-ray. Lot's of 'professional' people seem to think that if you want to edit your audio/video the right way - you have to work with a mac - and they will associate good audio/video with blu-ray.

I personally still favor blu-ray - because I still think that the small datavolume of HDDVD prevents further innovations in the media (it's not giving much room for extra video/audio/bonus tracks).

Xtreme X.I.P.
    it seems sony is spending lots of $$$ now to get more support... sad...

Xtreme Member
    Big move. The movie industry uses Final cut pro and avid. So apple pushing on blu-ray means a lot.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TRG View Post
    I think that Apple's support will put a lot of weight into the battle for blu-ray. Lot's of 'professional' people seem to think that if you want to edit your audio/video the right way - you have to work with a mac - and they will associate good audio/video with blu-ray.

I personally still favor blu-ray - because I still think that the small datavolume of HDDVD prevents further innovations in the media (it's not giving much room for extra video/audio/bonus tracks).
    mainly because apple offers one of the best video editing suites and this one is mac only

but noone will associate good audio/video with one of the formats, they both use the same codecs and have the same image quality, only difference is that blu-ray is less resistant to scratches, but it brings a higher capacity
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

One of the HD formats aren't allowing :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I think it was Blu-Ray...
    Nope the :banana::banana::banana::banana: industry is using Blu-Ray as well.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Ebay Hater
    kai, the ps3 goes for about £260, whilst the premium 360 for about £240.. The price difference is negligible by now.. Not to mention blockbuster has a better selection of blu rays it seems?
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Beta had more :banana::banana::banana::banana: than VHS did when the format war started. Remember, Beta was all about picture quality, so naturally, :banana::banana::banana::banana: prevailed!

Xtreme Member
    I am soryy i do not like Blu Ray its more expensive picture quality same or worst than HD dvd's and the Memmory diffrenece is about 5gigs from what i have heard... I think HD DVD's should be the Future.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850
    2x2GB DDR3 G.Skill (forget exact name )

"I would get down on my knees... grit my teeth... swallow my pride.... open wide... wet my lips... crack my knuckles.... and tie your shoe if you tell me!!!"

Quote form Top Gears host J. Clarksons DVD: America Vs Europe

While driving the Corvette ZO6.

"Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

naokaji
    they once planned it to be that way, but they realized that they cant really win with locking out :banana::banana::banana::banana:, so they both allow it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FuzzyBallz View Post
    I am soryy i do not like Blu Ray its more expensive picture quality same or worst than HD dvd's and the Memmory diffrenece is about 5gigs from what i have heard... I think HD DVD's should be the Future.
    Not that I care either way ( I havn't invested a cent in Blue Ray or HD DVD), but that 5GB is enough for an entire non-HD movie to fit in, so that is a fair difference right there. When it comes to games, that 5GB can allow you to have 25% more content on a single disc (I hate dealing with multiple discs). So that 5GB is a fair bit when it comes to movies and games, which is what either of these formats will eventually be used for.

As far as image quality, that has nothing to do with the media and has everything to do with the quality of the video taken and the editting done to it. In theory, Blue Ray should have the higher image quality because it has more storage capacity and thus a video file can have a higher quality because there is less need to compress the file (and lose quality).
    "TV and the internet are good because they keep stupid people form spending too much time out in public."
    -jPod, by Douglas Coupland

"There is no Todd"
    -Dilbert, by Scott Adams

Xtreme Mentor
    Both are about the same when it comes to image quality and sound quality. Blu-Ray has the upper hand with storage, which might make it more popular with game developers.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Both are about the same when it comes to image quality and sound quality. Blu-Ray has the upper hand with storage, which might make it more popular with game developers.
    Except Microsoft has said the Xbox360 won't support HD disks for game data. So it's DVD vs Blu-Ray for that particular market and desktops will be in DVD for a long time, just look how long CD has still prevailed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_78 View Post
    kai, the ps3 goes for about £260, whilst the premium 360 for about £240.. The price difference is negligible by now.. Not to mention blockbuster has a better selection of blu rays it seems?
    PS3 40GB - £280
    Xbox 360 Core - £180
    Xbox 360 Prem - £240
    Xbox 360 Elite - £280
    HD-DVD addon - £100

The biggest killer for me is the fact that I can buy a Blu-ray Burner for £180 but getting hold of a HD-DVD equivalent is like finding a Intel chipset for AMD processors. I can play both but I really hope that whichever format dies they'll offer a replacement service for the discs to the winning format.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Actually, this is will probably turn out like DVD+ and DVD-. Combo drives! I mean, if you make a drive that can read(write?) BluRay and legacy formats like DVD and CD, you'd still need a secondary red laser in there. Which could also be used for HDDVD.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast