Thread: How Force EFI bios for Acer x3450 / Gateway sx2360 using an Asrock 880GM-LE FX

Xtreme Member

How Force EFI bios for Acer x3450 / Gateway sx2360 using an Asrock 880GM-LE FX

Hello modders,
    I have been flashing mobos since the Cyberstorm PPC Amiga days, to the most bizzare Arima Quad Socket f opterons without a problem yet this time , i bought an Acer x3450 mobo from an ebayer working OK yet having a Gateway splash screen and by using the safest USB freedos method i flashed this bios to the latest official,only it never posted Bios again.I was having a beep after some 5 secs ,tried to reprogramm using th amiboot.rom force method to the latest or the original bios as i managed to save it to no avail.I bought an asrock same chipset mobo to hot flash yet that was impossible.I removed the broken bios , soldered it to the asrock yet the AFUDOS 2.36 Aptio edition will not upgrade giving an error.then i tried AfuWIN both plain and aptio EFI edition with no success.i used even the afudos engineering edition version with the /i{mybios.rom} option again with an error.Is there any other program i could flash my bios of the acer/gateway using the asrock mobo?I have used Winxp 32bit , win7 64bit, freedos , win98 dos floppy unsuccessfully.Please note that the acer bios is 2048kb EFI and the asrock is 1024kb plain .Also to a desparate action , i used the flash windows program of the asrock and i flashed OK the acer bios with the asrock and now the asrock work with the acer bios part justifing that the acer bios part was good.Last time i had used the iwill zmaxdp mobo to flash the arima quad socket f bios part successfully or i remember the tyan s2885 and the fsc 1692 counterpart where hot flashing enables the dual core support..Also note that this is an Ami Bios EFI yet amibcp cannot open it.Ofcourse i have downloaded all available bioses and i get the same results with 4 different bioses.
    What should i do?shall i try buying a bios repair chip?
    is there anyway to force programming a SOIC W25Q16BVSSIG?
    photos will follow with all error messages
    could you try and verify that this is indeed an amibios and not phoenix or award?
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=ACER&SC=PA_6

Last edited by AmiJIm; 01-17-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Xtreme Member

Last edited by AmiJIm; 12-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Success,
    after having tried all available versions for Windows,once again i focused on linux.Flashrom specificaly.Last version on aptitude Ubuntu was 0.9.6 and the bios chip was not reporting yet i had managed to flash it in windows with the other bios and thus i kew it was working.Last attemp to compile flashrom version 0.9.7 and voila!The board is working again.Next gear will be to update the Agesa code .MMtoolh aptio and Amibcp are the suitable software.I will be reporting.