Thread: SFF Liquid cooling dilemmas...

barfastic

SFF Liquid cooling dilemmas...

Hey guys,

i ordered some parts to make a SFF pc, and im thinking of getting it liquid cooled (i have tons of spare parts, so i only need to buy a gpu block and some tubing...)

Parts list:
    Case: Silverstone Sugo SST-SG03B Black
    CPU: Intel Core I7-920 (s1366, 2.66 GHz, Cache 8MP, Box)
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Gene (s1366, DDR3, X58)
    Memory: G.Skill 3GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (PC3 12800, 9-9-9-24, 12800CL9T-3GBNQ)
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad Cf S75CF-EU (750W)
    GPU: Asus HD 4890 SVGA (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1G)
    HDD: Maxtor 1 TB HDD (32MB Cache, 7200 rpm, Sata 2, SEA-STM31000340AS)
    DVD: LG GH22NS30 Black DVDRW +/- (Sata, Bulk)

my questions are as follow:

1) will a pa120.2 with high CFM fans be able to handle a i7 920, and a 4890 gpu? i also have a spare 120mm radiator which could be added somehow (need to actually get my case tomorrow to find out if it fits). but at the moment im not thinking about overclocking it.. untill i see what temps im getting.

2) this questions is for any Silverstone Sugo SST-SG03B owners. Will the PA120.2 fit internally? it has dual 120mm fans up front, and im thinking of screwing it onto the fans in the front. If there is room i might go for push/pull.

3) if the PA120.2 doesnt fit due to its size, what other radiators are good enough to cool these 2 components? i was thinking either swiftech 220 or a black ice gtx240. cause i presume if a thermochill dont fit, then a feser wouldnt aswell, and the xspc might not either... If anyone has exact dimensions for all these rads that would be cool. (thermochill, xspc, feser, swiftech and black ice)

3) anyone know any waterblocks for the rampage gene? i had a look at EK but didnt find anything (its not in his product sheet pdf file)

4) anyone know how long the 4890 is? i dont think its as long as a gtx280.... or is it? searches on scan.co.uk, asus, and some other sites didnt tell me how long the card was.

Cheers

I am Xtreme
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

barfastic
    wow that is nice... but that worklog just pointed out to me that the psu goes right infront of the whole meshed window... when i saw the case online (from my local shop) i thought the psu went on the bottom (they didnt have rear pics so i could see that it went there... ) that just ruined my plans, on to find another case that will suit my needs!

Xtreme Member
    gene fits the same nb blocks as rampage ii extreme

swiftech and ek both have one

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm804 View Post
    Here are the links to where I saw the pics...didnt want to post the pics since they werent mine.

EK NB

Swiftech NB

blah

Xtreme Member
    I have a SG03 but I mounted my rads and the PSU externally on the side. Kinda ghetto rigged. Here's a pic for reference.

Two 4870 512mbs cooled as well as the processor. It's a tight fit and I didn't use any full cover blocks so I decided external for the PSU would be the way to go.

barfastic
    seems like the p180 mini is closer to what i want to acheive... seems that it has space for a 120.2 up front, and also has space for a rad mounted at the top of the 200mm fan... antec selss a 200mm radiator specifically for its 200mm fans, but its aluminium hmmm..... gotta find a case soon, because all my parts are in tomorrow... and i got like 1 week to build it :S

i'm planning on building a watercooled P180 Mini aswell.
    putting in a Core i7-920 (cooled by a Heatkiller 3.0), Club3D HD4870x2 (EK-FC4870x2) and Asus Rampage 2 Gene (northbridge watercooled aswell).
    all that will be chilled by 2 TFC XChanger 120 rads

i've been looking at half a dozen other cases aswell, but they don't exactly suit my needs

barfastic
    will 2 120's be able to handle that heat load? are u staying stock or overclocking?

don't know yet.
    it should handle the heat, but i don't know wether i'll have much room to overclock.

want to keep everything internal without cutting the case itself into pieces.
    still needs to be moved around quite alot (to LAN's and such).
    Gamingrig:
    Antec P180 Mini :|: Corsair HX620 :|: Asus Rampage II Gene :|: Intel Core i7-920 :|: Club3D HD4870x2
    CPU & GPU watercooled

Back-up:
    Antec P182 :|: OCZ GameXStream 600watt :|: Asus P5K-e :|: Intel C2D-E6700 :|: XFX 8800GTX

Desktop:
    CoolerMaster Centurion 5 :|: Enermax Infinity 720 :|: MSI P43 Neo :|: Intel C2D-E8400 :|: Asus HD3650 TOP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    are there any other good SFF cases for water cooling? I wanted to look into it but w/o any reviews/opinions its kinda hard to actually determine how well water cooling will work in a case

I am Xtreme
    barfastic, have you looked at the NZXT Rogue? If you forgo using a fan on the back 120 hole, you can mount a PA120.2 to the CPU side door using the shroud. I've mounted a 120.1 to the door that way, I can take a pic if you want.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    rogue looks nice I was going to get it for a water cooled lan party case...

but its like 20 pounds... bit much imo lol

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    barfastic, have you looked at the NZXT Rogue? If you forgo using a fan on the back 120 hole, you can mount a PA120.2 to the CPU side door using the shroud. I've mounted a 120.1 to the door that way, I can take a pic if you want.
    Looked at SFF cases a week or so ago to just mess around the idea of putting as much water cooling as possible in the smallest case possible.

NZXT Rouge missed my findings and I gotta say it looks nice. Ever thought about the Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F? That seems the best SFF in general, but don't know how well components would fit.

If you want mad props, try fitting it in a Silverstone SST-SG05B!

barfastic
    waterlogged that would be cool. ive always like the naxt rogue, but it seems that too much modding has to be done, and i ahve all my powertools etc in my flat in the uk (and this build is taking place in Greece). My main problem is that most stores here dont have a well stocked display, and they only have 1/4 of what they sell on display. Anything else u need to roder, and u cant change it after youve purchased it. a H2g0 would be nice, but there are no authorized dealers in Greece, and waiting for 2-3months for it to be delivered isnt an option

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by liguhy View Post
    If you want mad props, try fitting it in a Silverstone SST-SG05B!
    Doesn't look impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    waterlogged that would be cool. ive always like the naxt rogue, but it seems that too much modding has to be done, and i ahve all my powertools etc in my flat in the uk (and this build is taking place in Greece). My main problem is that most stores here dont have a well stocked display, and they only have 1/4 of what they sell on display. Anything else u need to roder, and u cant change it after youve purchased it. a H2g0 would be nice, but there are no authorized dealers in Greece, and waiting for 2-3months for it to be delivered isnt an option
    It's not a small case by any means, just list what you want to put in it and I can tell you how hard it'll be. I don't have time now but when I get home from work, I'll post a pic of how to mount a 120.2 (I remembered I have one here) but it'll be with the 120.1 shroud.
    Circles SucQ!

barfastic
    any 120.2 rad capable of cooling a i7 920, and a hd4890 (maybe chipset too).... i saw a crazy rogue build log where the guy added 2 120.2 rads, an ATX motherboard and a screen in the front etc, but i definately dont have the modding capacity to pull something off like that...

im also curious as to where people buy those brackets to mount rads to 200mm fans, like on the HAF932 etc... if i could find those, i would add a PA160 to the top of the p180mini and a double up front and i think with those rads it would be capable of cooling an i7, NB and 4890...

parts got delayed till tomorrow... so tomorrow im going on a hunt to the local stores see what they have!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    any 120.2 rad capable of cooling a i7 920, and a hd4890 (maybe chipset too).... i saw a crazy rogue build log where the guy added 2 120.2 rads, an ATX motherboard and a screen in the front etc, but i definately dont have the modding capacity to pull something off like that...

im also curious as to where people buy those brackets to mount rads to 200mm fans, like on the HAF932 etc... if i could find those, i would add a PA160 to the top of the p180mini and a double up front and i think with those rads it would be capable of cooling an i7, NB and 4890...

parts got delayed till tomorrow... so tomorrow im going on a hunt to the local stores see what they have!

http://losias.net/category/project-rogue/

Project: OSIDIAS - CNC by Romaxx
    Losias Technologies & SFF Modding Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter
    dude, stop trying to create Skynet. at this point, the scale goes - metric tons of awesome < epic < overkill < you

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
    craigbru, you suck! You just made what I'm about to show rather sub-standard (not that it was that great to start with).

barfastic, sorry this took so long for me to pull together but "certain ppl" in my life sort of re-arranged it for me without my consent. I will warn you in advance, if you use a PA with the shroud as I have done, some modding of the PA is unavoidable. If you can make a shroud for a thinner rad the same as the PA is made, no rad mods should be necessary.

Circles SucQ!

Chasing After Diety
    This is exactly why im trying to push dean and koolance in making a external Exos shell we can customize to take almost any rad + pump :\

Of course, WL used to be our SFF king, back when i used to be the vendor annoyance king... i think he retired that title tho.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 05-18-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.