Thread: Dual boot: Vista 64 or XP 32 first?

Dual boot: Vista 64 or XP 32 first?

Greetings,

What I'm going to try and do is, load XP 32 on a 250gb HD by itself to be the C:\
    And then have Vista 64 Ultimate on another pair of 250bg HD's in RAID 0. Which do I install first. Any good reads on this subject?

Both are full copies (OEM). Once I'm comfortable with Vista 64 and make sure everything is working correctly... I'd like to dump XP32 and load up a distro of Linux to experiment with....

Thanks
    hagatha
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.60 (400x9)
    eVGA nForce 780i A1 (P07)
    Corsair Dominator 4GB (PC2-8500C5DF)
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTX's in SLI
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    Seagate 250GB 16MB SATA (RAID0)
    Seagate 500GB 16MB SATA
    Vista Premium 64 bit
    Custom Liquid Cooling System
    Custom Case
    Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM
    http://home.hot.rr.com/hagatha/

Xtreme Member
    As in my sig, I use 2 150GB Raptors to run XP 32 and Vista 64 (one OS on each). I don't really think it matters which you install first. You simply setup the raid in bios and install as normal. You also determine which drive(s) will boot first or use your boot menu at startup to determine which OS boots.

Anyway, when your system boots, it should automatically toggle the C drive to whichever drive you are booting from. The other drives will still be present but under a different drive letter.

I would like to dump XP 32 right now but it just works so much better than Vista 64 for me. Vista constantly gives me errors or incompatibilities (even after all updates). I just continue to fix one problem when another one pops up. XP runs twice as fast and I might get one application error a week. I know others have had better luck than I.

There are good reads regarding Raid setups as stickies on this board. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=150176

Xtreme Enthusiast
    TBH you'll be dumping XP x86 a lot faster than you thought.........I did the same thing you're describing 5 months ago and I never even booted into XP, so I just formatted that XP HDD and made it a media storage driver :p
    Vista x64 is so damn fast and stable man, don't even worry about it.
    You might want to go ahead and grab another 2Gb of RAM, as it's so cheap......VIsta's superfetch owns with 4Gb of RAM, as it will preload all of your most commonly used files, such as game maps, texture and sound files, as well as audio and video files. I can check my systems activity sorted by file path and see that it's preloading COD4 maps (online) when I start Vista. I end up loading a map in literally 3s
    Last edited by binormalkilla; 01-01-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.8 (475x8) 1.496V || ASUS Maximus Formula X38 || 4x2GB Geil Evo One DDR2-950 5-5-5-15 ||
    Sapphire 4870X2 857/1000 || XSPC Delrin full coverage block || MCP655 || D-Tek Fuzion Nozzled ||
    Black Ice 480GTX 8 120mm Yate Loon push/pull || Silverstone DA850 PSU 70A +12V || Auzentech Prelude ||
    Vantage P15071 in Vista x64

Thanks...

The other 2 sticks of RAM are on the way as we speak... I know I will have to get use to Vista 64... But I had to do the same when I switched from 98 to XP... LOL...

I'll leave XP on here until my wife gets use to Vista... then it's flush time! I've been waiting for the right opportunity to tinker with Linux too...

Thanks!
    hagatha
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.60 (400x9)
    eVGA nForce 780i A1 (P07)
    Corsair Dominator 4GB (PC2-8500C5DF)
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTX's in SLI
    X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU
    Enermax Liberty 500W PSU
    Seagate 250GB 16MB SATA (RAID0)
    Seagate 500GB 16MB SATA
    Vista Premium 64 bit
    Custom Liquid Cooling System
    Custom Case
    Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM
    http://home.hot.rr.com/hagatha/

Xtreme Addict
    like u said,
    install them on 2 drives (not partitions)

you should install XP first, then
    DISCONNECT YOUR XP DRIVE and install vista on ur other one
    if u dont, vista will overwrite the other drives bootsexor

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
    TBH you'll be dumping XP x86 a lot faster than you thought.........I did the same thing you're describing 5 months ago and I never even booted into XP, so I just formatted that XP HDD and made it a media storage driver :p
    Vista x64 is so damn fast and stable man, don't even worry about it.
    You might want to go ahead and grab another 2Gb of RAM, as it's so cheap......VIsta's superfetch owns with 4Gb of RAM, as it will preload all of your most commonly used files, such as game maps, texture and sound files, as well as audio and video files. I can check my systems activity sorted by file path and see that it's preloading COD4 maps (online) when I start Vista. I end up loading a map in literally 3s
    That's all nice n dandy, but too bad your machine is still crippled by DRM :p

Either way, if you're going to dualboot, install XP first. Vista's bootloader will detect XP and put it into it, whereas XP won't detect Vista's bootloader when Vista was installed first.
    Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.9GHz + Noctua NH-D15 - Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming3 - 16GB HyperX Savage DDR4-2666 - MSI GTX970 + BenQ XL2411T - Corsair HX620 + Silverstone TJ09B-W

I am Xtreme
    I installed XP first, then Vista from XP desktop.

Yes, this destroyed XP boot.ini(renamed it boot.bak), and then isntaleld Vista boot gui so you can select OS you use on boot.(for the reason mentioned in teh post jsut above mine).

Works a treat!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    I installed XP first, then Vista from XP desktop.

Yes, this destroyed XP boot.ini(renamed it boot.bak), and then isntaleld Vista boot gui so you can select OS you use on boot.(for the reason mentioned in teh post jsut above mine).

Works a treat!
    Now get rid of vista and try to run XP (you can't)
    This is the reason all other drives mst be invisible to vista during installation.

i recommend using grub (open linux ) bootloader (if one must be used)

most of the time a boot loader isnt needed at all,
    most motherboards have a key (F10/esc) to change ur boot device during post

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    You should also take a hard look at XP 64 it's a great OS and very solid and a bit faster then XP 32 and I am not sure yet if it's faster then vista but I am also doing a multi boot to find out for sure.....

Yea XP 64 don't forget about it!
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69 View Post
    Now get rid of vista and try to run XP (you can't)
    This is the reason all other drives mst be invisible to vista during installation.

i recommend using grub (open linux ) bootloader (if one must be used)

most of the time a boot loader isnt needed at all,
    most motherboards have a key (F10/esc) to change ur boot device during post
    Um, it just requires a bit of work, currently no harder than it is to slipstrem drivers to an install cd...you simply replace the removed files. Of course, this is easiest from another windows install...

Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
    Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
    Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
    Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
    Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
    Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C: ), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
    Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
    Use your partition software to merge your partitions together

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...-boot-with-xp/

Xtreme Cruncher
    dualbooting: vista first + xp or xp first + vista & linux
    The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    i5 3570k | Asus Z77-V Dlx | 16Gb 2400 HyperX Pred | ASUS 6950 2Gb DCuII | X-fi Titanium | Samsung SA350
    Corsair AX860i | Hyperx 3k 120Gb,i520 120Gb,320 7200.11,2x2Tb WdB | Corsair H80i | Antec P280 | win7 x64

Red face Slightly off topic I think

I was wondering if you guys who have XP 32bit and Vista 64bit have had any problems with hardware drivers or anything else. Also would it be ok to run 4GB of ram even though XP 32bit only accept like 3.25 but Vista 64bit would use it.