Thread: P5K premium blown caps

Xtreme Member

P5K premium blown caps

I voltmodded my P5K premium with Vcore and Vdimm.

1st go around Vdimm mod and measure worked flawlessly.

Vcore mod did not work at all, and did not perform Vcore measure.

Redid Vcore mod and added Vcore measure at circled area under mobo at 1 leg of the R68 inductor around the socket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130713.JPG 
Views:	1006 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	69713

Turned mobo on, no POST. Shut off.....checked cables/etc.....all looked ok....Turned on again.

Vcore measure point showed 1.06. The VR was set to 50K Ohm (max) at the time as this was first startup after performing mod.

All of a sudden I hear *BOOM* *BOOM* and see sparks!! Immediately shutdown system and here is the aftermath.....2 blown caps and one WICKED urnt smell. Also some of my paper towel from the insulation appears to have been stock on some of the caps and inductors around the socket. The MOSFET heatsink over top of the Vcore measure point was SERIOUSLY hot, as well as all of the caps and inductors around the socket were very hot too.

I tested the CPU (Q6600) in another mobo and its working fine. Havnt tested the other components yet but I assume they will be fine as well.

What are the odds of this mobo being repair-able? Can I just replace those caps? If so, with what replacement caps?

EDIT: Full System Specs are: Q6600 G0, P5K Premium, EVGA 8800GTX, Corsair HX620W, 160gb PATA Seagate Barracuda, 2 X 1 gb PC8500 Crucial Ballistix Tracers.

Thanks for any info or advice!

Name:	DSCN0263.JPG 
Views:	990 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	69714

Name:	DSCN0264.JPG 
Views:	1070 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	69715

Name:	DSCN0265.JPG 
Views:	972 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	69716

Name:	DSCN0266.JPG 
Views:	986 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	69717
    Last edited by Dawgdoc; 12-29-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Turkey Man
    Looks to me like you soldered onto the incorrect leg of the choke for vcore measurement.

I can only guess at your vmods without pics...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Looks to me like you soldered onto the incorrect leg of the choke for vcore measurement.

I can only guess at your vmods without pics...
    Vcore measurement was placed at the red circled leg of the R68 inductor.

How do you know which side is the proper side?

I thought it was either leg for Vcore but its entirely possible im wrong. Perhaps even likely hehe.

The other mods....well....ive tried taking pictures of them for a LONG time, and my camera just doesnt have a good enough macro to get a closeup

Any chance of this mobo being repaired by replacing the damaged caps ya think? Or is it toasted no doubt?
    Last edited by Dawgdoc; 12-30-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Oh my......

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by super dank View Post
    Oh my......
    Well thats helpful LOL.....

Trying to get your post count up or something?

Any addl info appreciated if someone is willing to contribute.

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post
    Well thats helpful LOL.....

Trying to get your post count up or something?

Any addl info appreciated if someone is willing to contribute.

Thanks
    Please Post Detailed pics of all your modifications.
    Q6600 @ 3600 Mhz
    ASUS Maximus Formula NON-SE rev 1.03G (Bios Maximus Rampage 403)
    4 X 2GB Corsair Dominators
    EVGA 8800 GT
    320G WESTERN DIGITAL / 74G RAPTOR / 2X500GB Seagates / 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL
    PCP&C Turbo-Cool 860 PSU
    SUNBEAM FAN CONTROLLER (3 120MM YL CASE FANS)
    DELL 2007FP MONITOR x 2
    HEATWARE Perfect (14-0-0)

WATERCOOLED: 2 X MCP655 in Series, Thermochill PA120.3, D-TEK FUZION(Quad-Nozzle), MCW60, MCW30, 7/16" MASTERKLEER TUBING, 3 120mm YL FANS

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well if your lucky you only need to replace the caps...
    but id remove your mods since it seems you did something wrong...

Xtreme Member
    Cant post pics of the mods. They have allready been removed. I did try to take pics of my mods, but the camera is a piece of garbage when it comes to closeup/macro. I didnt get anything substantial.

There were 2 voltmods on the board (Vcore/Vdimm) and measure points for each. The Vdimm mod and measure point had previously worked flawlessly, so I do not think that they were related IMHO.

The Vcore mod didnt work at all the 1st attempt, and I dismantled it and started over. I did not perform the Vcore mod the first time and only attempted it the 2nd time.

Im assuming it was indeed the Vcore mod that was wrong/bad? I say so, because the Vcore that was shown on my DMM was WAY off. Read 1.06 when I saw it just before the explosions. Is that plausible?

Can anyone confirm if the red point I circled is indeed the INcorrect or Correct spot for Vcore measure on a P5K premium? I find no definitive info in ANY of the guides, and conflicting information from several well known and respected OCers. Some say other leg of the R68 inductor. Others say no...never on inductors only on the caps. Others say hell yes on the inductor!! Nothing 100% definitive that I can find on the Vcore measure unfortunately.

Not sure how much all of that helps without pics though hehehe...

I know it comes down to trying and seeing what happens, but since the processor and every other piece of equipment that was attached is working 100% fine (tested everything allready) it seems as if there is some chance that it might work again??

On a side note, I was able to successfully voltmod my P5K vanilla last night with Vdroop (pencil) as well as Vcore/Vdimm/Vpll/Vmch and the 4 measure points associated with them and its working flawlessly..... Did a quick Q6600 dice run after I finished last night but tonight is the real bench session

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, IMO, it's done wrong and you broke it...

Fix the Cap, See if it works.. If it's still busted, get a new MOBO and Soldier On..
    ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞıl pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ƃuıuɹnʇ ǝq ʇ,uop

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian MP5T View Post
    So, IMO, it's done wrong and you broke it...

Fix the Cap, See if it works.. If it's still busted, get a new MOBO and Soldier On..
    Yup its done. Yup I broke it. Yup Im gonna fix the caps. Allready said all of that.

Im just trying to gather more information to learn what I can.

IT Engineer in the making
    If the mosfets and inductors got very hot, like you said, there most likely was high current flowing through them which leads me to believe that you somehow created a short circuit somewhere, which then made the 12V input filter caps go kaboom.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."