Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q6600 - P5K Premium - Stability @ 4GHz (?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    You can try to use OCCT, let us know your results.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by foodfightr View Post
    So you think the root of the problem is the 18A max on the cpu rail? Will the corsair I linked remedy the situation?

Keep in mind there is a PowerStream 600W and a PowerStream 600W SLI. I have the later.

Your the man, thank you for investigating this!
    The SLi version does have dual 20A rails (35A max for both together), but could still lack load balancing, i.e. the rail that needs more current still doesn't get more than the max. 20A. Could still be the problem. I can't tell you for sure, but it seems to be worth a try.
    As I said, if it's the PSU, it's still relatively simple to change in comparison to a watercooled motherboard and CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bail_w View Post
    You can try to use OCCT, let us know your results.
    Yep, I think I even posted in your thread back then. Could also be the board. Wihout exact measurements and without having seen the system with your own eyes, you can't really tell which part is to blame here for sure.
    Last edited by celemine1Gig; 12-31-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    The SLi version does have dual 20A rails (35A max for both together), but could still lack load balancing, i.e. the rail that needs more current still doesn't get more than the max. 20A. Could still be the problem. I can't tell you for sure, but it seems to be worth a try.
    As I said, if it's the PSU, it's still relatively simple to change in comparison to a watercooled motherboard and CPU.

Yep, I think I even posted in your thread back then. Could also be the board. Wihout exact measurements and without having seen the system with your own eyes, you can't really tell which part is to blame here for sure.
    Yep... OCCT has the same problem. So that corsair 620w will do the trick then? (its also SLI)

Any other PSU reccomendations?
    Last edited by foodfightr; 12-31-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Yep... OCCT has the same problem. So that corsair 620w will do the trick then? (its also SLI)

Any other PSU reccomendations?
    Noone will be able to tell you 100% sure. You'll have to try it. As already said, in the end it could also be the board (its PWM).

Xtreme Member
    Noone will be able to tell you 100% sure. You'll have to try it. As already said, in the end it could also be the board (its PWM).
    Going to try a new PSU today. I'll report back with my findings.
    Last edited by foodfightr; 12-31-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Going to try a new PSU today. I'll report back with my findings.

Happy new years!

Made a few small changes... going to drill down on what exactly it was. I knew this chip had the magic in it!
    Last edited by foodfightr; 12-31-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice........ Now get to work.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So its the power supply?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_w View Post
    So its the power supply?
    Well... I hooked up the new PSU and it wouldn't boot. So I'm thinking "Wow- what is going on?" I ended up moving the power cord around a bit and it booted fine then shut off. Then I held the power cord in place and booted and it stayed on.

I switched to the power cord that came with the new PSU and I had no problem keeping the computer on, booting, etc.

I am using a new PSU at the moment (and my ambient temps are lower) but as strange is this sounds I think the power cord was faulty- or making a very weak connection.

I'll switch to the old PSU + new cord sometime tonight or tomorrow. Right now I'm priming 4 GHz @ 1.472v (Temps: 51/52/49/49) and too excited to change anything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats a good one. Happy New Year

Really nice to hear that it seems to work now.

Xtreme Member
    Really nice to hear that it seems to work now.
    Thank you so much for your help! This chip is turning out to be a real beauty. I'm turning the v-core down by two settings in the bios and priming for a half hour each time. Going to keep going until it fails and then bring it up enough for a 24 hour prime.

Currently at 1.416v....

Edit: Ok it crashed... looks like I'll start testing for 24/7 stability at 1.432.
    Last edited by foodfightr; 12-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well i was trying 4ghz on my quad today, i was experiencing the same scenario as you, so i move my power cord from the UPS battery back up to a normal outlet then the problem went away.

edit: nvm, i have to adjust vcore a bit higher to get it stable.
    Last edited by Bail_w; 12-31-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Thank you so much for your help! This chip is turning out to be a real beauty. I'm turning the v-core down by two settings in the bios and priming for a half hour each time. Going to keep going until it fails and then bring it up enough for a 24 hour prime.

Currently at 1.416v....

Edit: Ok it crashed... looks like I'll start testing for 24/7 stability at 1.432.
    You're welcome man. I'm more than happy that I was actually able to help you a bit.
    I have to say: Absolutely stunning results so far. Keep going. 4GHz on a Vcore lower than 1.5V is really nice.

Hi!I have a similar problem...

I can get easyly 3800 MHz 475 fsb with my computer... Only with 1.5 V for Vcore(windows 1.472)and voltaje dumper enable, 1.9V for memory and the rest of parameters being in auto... In this way, orthos makes 13 hours without problems.

However I can't get 3800...I've tried 3900Mhz(488*8, from 1.52V to 1.56V in bios increasing the voltage PLL, FSB voltage and Chipset voltage...and orthos doesn't fail. It only restart my computer in 30-40 minutes since the orthos test started.

In full get between 50º and 55º with more than one hour of orthos' test and the base plate's temperature is 20-25º, reading with Coretemp last version. Ther mosfets coolers and memory are very cold... The temp i think not is the problem.

What is de problem? In my signature you can see all specs of my computer...

Last edited by OverCloke; 01-02-2008 at 04:52 AM.
    Desktop:
    -Asus Rampage Formula(bios 401)
    -E8400 @4300 Mhz 478 FSB 1.415 V bios - 1.4 real (Load Line Calibration) @ Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme(Lapped) & SilenX iXtrema Pro 38 mm.
    -Gskill PC8000 2x2 Gb @ 956 Mhz 5-5-3-12 1.9 V
    -XFX 8800 GTX Thermalright HR03 Plus & HR-11 @ 648/1620/2050
    -RAID 0 150 Gb Raptor x3 & Maxtor 300 Gb & Samsung F1 1Tb x2
    -Creative X-FI Elite Pro & Infinity HCS 5.1 & Pionner Amplifier.
    -Thermaltake Toughpower 750W.
    -Dell 2407WFP.
    -Colermaster Cosmos modified and optimized & 3x Noctua 1200 rpm 12 cm fans.
    -Logitech Dinovo Edge & Logitech G7 Special Edition

Laptop:
    -Macbook Black Intel 2 Ghz.

Xtreme Cruncher
    [QUOTE=OverCloke;2668850]Hi!I have a similar problem...

I can get easyly 3800 MHz 475 fsb with my computer... Only with 1.5 V for Vcore(windows 1.472)and voltaje dumper enable, 1.9V for memory and the rest of parameters being in auto... In this way, orthos makes 13 hours without problems.

However I can't get 3800...I've tried 3900Mhz(488*8, from 1.52V to 1.56V in bios increasing the voltage PLL, FSB voltage and Chipset voltage...and orthos doesn't fail. It only restart my computer in 30-40 minutes since the orthos test started.

In full get between 50º and 55º with more than one hour of orthos' test and the base plate's temperature is 20-25º, reading with Coretemp last version. Ther mosfets coolers and memory are very cold... The temp i think not is the problem.

What is de problem? In my signature you can see all specs of my computer...

QUOTE]

You could try to up the voltage of your memory most require atleast 2.0 without overclocking them so put them at 2.1 or somewhere near that to be sure.

Sorry, I've forgotten something... when I try to get 3900 o 4000 Mhz, I also raise the voltage to 2V or 2.1V although the e ory re ains in 980, ore or less

:S
    Desktop:
    -E8400 @4300 Mhz 478 FSB 1.415 V bios - 1.4 real (Load Line Calibration) @ Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme(Lapped) & SilenX iXtrema Pro 38 mm.
    -Dell 2407WFP.

Laptop:

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am thinking its either the chip FSB walled or the motherboard couldn't handle it. Thats why i might go to buy another P35 motherboard.

I had another motherboard P35, a GigaByte P35DQ6 exactly and it had the same problem.I think that is a configuration problem but I'm not sure because is strange,that it was stable(Orhtos 13 hours) with 3800Mhz, 1.472V real, with good temperature, but I couldn't increase 100 Mhz more...I don't understand why my computer restart instead of cause an orthos' error.

Could it be a power supply's problem as foodfightr had? foodfightr, was you problem the power supply's cable?(http://www.mod-pc.com/modules/Tienda...s/W331_big.jpg)
    Desktop:
    -Dell 2407WFP.

Laptop:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverCloke View Post
    I had another motherboard P35, a GigaByte P35DQ6 exactly and it had the same problem.I think that is a configuration problem but I'm not sure because is strange,that it was stable(Orhtos 13 hours) with 3800Mhz, 1.472V real, with good temperature, but I couldn't increase 100 Mhz more...I don't understand why my computer restart instead of cause an orthos' error.

Could it be a power supply's problem as foodfightr had? foodfightr, was you problem the power supply's cable?(http://www.mod-pc.com/modules/Tienda...s/W331_big.jpg)
    I'm not entirely sure... there are three possibilities.

1.) The cable was making a poor connection. (FIXED)
    2.) The motherboard's (24 pins?) power cable is making a poor connection. I believe this is because I jump started the PSU and the paperclip I used is bigger than the motherboard pin. (Fixing this today.)
    3.) The mostfet cooling next to the chip isn't mounted securely and is failing to provide adequate cooling. (Going to fix myself or RMA.)

I work long hours during the week so its hard for me to get much testing done. I'll post more info this weekend.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So you think the root of the problem is the 18A max on the cpu rail? Will the corsair I linked remedy the situation?

Keep in mind there is a PowerStream 600W and a PowerStream 600W SLI. I have the later.

Your the man, thank you for investigating this!
    I am running a 750w silverstone.At 3.8G with the case closed all temps are low but the fan on the psu starts to spin high with p95, then bsod.If I open the case all temps are only 3-5C lower but the psu fan stays low and no bsod.

I think its your psu.
    Rampage III Gene I7 950@4.48G--1.485V HR-02 12G G.Skill 1600-1.5V, GTX470-SLI@725core 1750mem, Antec P180 MINI

Xtreme Member
    From what ive read, the P5K Premium is less likely than the P5K deluxe or -E to reach a high FSB. Why is this when the Premium is supposed to have top notch features?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12