Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G80 8800GTS OCP + VDROOP MOD - Made & Confirmed Working!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbosan View Post
    Perhaps it is due to the fact that you removed the other resistors (i have not)
    Yepp, i did

I have gamed crysis/nfs pro street @ max graphics settings (no AA) for hours at 1.50v load.
    I've played Crysis for 1,5 Hours with 1,45 V & 729 MHz - all works fine.

Can you run repeats of 3dm03 nature & 3dmark06 at 1.55v load?
    I did this with 1,5 V and it works, so 3dmark is not the stability test at all. Could you please try HL2EP2? If you do not want to walkthrough the game, here's my save: http://www.filefactory.com/file/1de604/. You need about 3 minutes (with 1280x1024xAll High) to test, if there is no OCP there - this will be the conclusive proof.

P.S. Just for informaton - the 78X resistors are 63,4 Ohm each.
    Last edited by N1ck R1mer; 12-30-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Back from the Dead
    2ghz im honestly not sure, ive never seen an A3 GTS modded & OC'd, but 1800+ should be a gimme with vgpu mod, even air cooled. 1900 - 2000+ not sure.
    I can run 1780 stable as it is, 1820 benchable but producing artefacts.
    So - why not? I'm gonna do all the mods as soon as I find the time and report back here
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N1ck R1mer View Post
    I've played Crysis for 1,5 Hours with 1,45 V & 729 MHz - all works fine.

I did this with 1,5 V and it works, so 3dmark is not the stability test at all. Could you please try HL2EP2? If you do not want to walkthrough the game, here's my save: http://www.filefactory.com/file/1de604/. You need about 3 minutes (with 1280x1024xAll High) to test, if there is no OCP there - this will be the conclusive proof.

P.S. Just for informaton - the 78X resistors are 63,4 Ohm each.

I asked if you could bench @ 1.55v, not 1.45 & 1.50v. Again today i benched 03 nature & 06 at 1.62v idle 1.60v load - can you do that? (dont say you did at 1.5 and its the same as my 1.6v as its not )

im still not convinced, what you did by removing the 78X resistors is crazy and may be causing your problem. Your phase current sharing may well be out of whack and possibly other factors too. After removing the 78X resistors, i dont see why you added resistors across the caps - the OCP mod needs the 78X resistors to remain in place & the Isen circuit to be complete and functional.

Did you measure the resistance across the caps & to ground before and after soldering them on? Or did you just solder on 1.2k's as thats what i did? I measured mine & thats why i chose the 1.2k resistors - since you removed the others it may be you need different value to me, or need to replace the 78X resistors to retore functionality.

The mods are not the same, therefore not comparable. You may be running at totally different resistances, if the Isen circuit is even still active & functioning correctly on your card. Replace the removed resistors buddy, then say it doesnt work

Despite your result, i could never run above 1.45v idle no matter what the test or game before it would shut down, so it has achieved a substantial gain for me.

i will be busy till at least 2nd Jan, may download & install game after then.
    Last edited by Timbosan; 12-30-2007 at 08:14 PM.

I asked if you could bench @ 1.55v, not 1.45 & 1.50v. Again today i benched 03 nature & 06 at 1.62v idle 1.60v load - can you do that? (dont say you did at 1.5 and its the same as my 1.6v as its not )
    Mark's is NOT the stability tests with 8800XXX series! The OCP works at 1,38 V now and it it's no matter if it 1,5 or 1,55 or 1,6 V - it works with HL2. I can run "nature" test even with current 1,37 Volts and 729 MHz GPU, but HL2 will freeze in about 5 minutes, so "nature" is not the stability parameter.

im still not convinced, what you did by removing the 78X resistors is crazy
    No, it isn't. That's the way how OCP mod's working - you should isolate sense pin(s). That's the way, how is has been made with 7900GTX and the other cards. And now we know that it's the way to remove OCP with 8800GT and new 8800GTS 512 M.

and may be causing your problem.
    Yes, this could be. I did not throw out those resistors, so I can place them back any minute. You said that you ran marks and Crysis with more than 1,38 V - so do I, and I notice NO any OCP. That's why the 78X resistors are still in a polyethylene separately from my card.

Did you measure the resistance across the caps & to ground before and after soldering them on? Or did you just solder on 1.2k's as thats what i did? I measured mine & thats why i chose the 1.2k resistors - since you removed the others it may be you need different value to me, or need to replace the 78X resistors to retore functionality.
    Yes, I did. It was about 1,29 K.

Despite your result, i could never run above 1.45v idle no matter what the test or game before it would shut down, so it has achieved a substantial gain for me.
    Yes, It's about 1,38 V load. I did the whole HL2EP2 walkthrouh with 1,45 V load (it's the min voltage for 729 MHz core with my card) and OCP works only at final scene. Then I tryed another apps (also the Crysis - no effect), and found one, which causes OCP with 1,45 V idle - it's the Bioshock game. But it needs about an hour that protection has worked.

i will be busy till at least 2nd Jan, may download & install game after then.
    If you did this and notice no OCP with at least 1,45 V load (don't need 1,6 V esp. with stock cooling!), please post your impressions here
    Last edited by N1ck R1mer; 12-30-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I still think your problem lies with the removed 78X resistors. However i have bioshock installed, i will try to play it for at least an hour with 1.50v load & see how it goes.

When i return from NYE celebrations, i will get HL2EP2 and try it, beacause if it causes higher current draw than anything else, it would be a good test. Im sure many people would be interested in using it as a test if this is true. Maybe even nvidia are wrong, as afaik they repeat the nature scenes from 01 & 03 to determine max current draw. If there was something better i would have assumed they'd use it. Regardless, ill give it a go.

Have a good NYE im out till the 2nd

When i return from NYE celebrations, i will get HL2EP2 and try it
    I'm waiting

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I cant say i've ever seen a OVP/OCP/etc mod that required modifying a resistor???

odd.
    This info is allready 2 months available, you need a catchy thread title those days to spread the news? Anyways, I threw some of my gathered info online at the VR-forums.

No thanks

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread...=189621&page=2

c[_]
    lol, I meant capacitor.....

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    N000000000!!!!!!!!
    can't let... thread die
    I've got a 8800gts ssc (just like a 8800gt with 640mb/320bit, and 112 shaders)
    It's an a2, and an unusually bad overclocker. I can only get to 650/1566/970 (stable) with vmods, and a heavily modified stock cooler. I think this is because the ssc version draws more power which sets off the ocp alot earlier than normal. (1.35 (1.29 ish load) will turn the thing off during bouts of 3dmark 06. I need to do this mod. Does radioshack carry these smd resistors? What would happen if i used one with slightly different resistance? Also i know this is probably a pretty dome noobish question but if there was a point were all three of those resistors link up where you could just install a pot (i've got plenty of those lying around, lol)
    Thanks

Xtreme Guru
    fragmasterMax,
    There is no "link up point" so you can't use a single pot to do the mod. Btw, the resistors do not need to be SMD. 3 linear resistors (or pots) would do the same thing as long as they're ~1.2kΩ. 1.2kΩ is not a figure set in stone, a lower R value would weaken the OCP (and vGPU phase balancing) even more compared to 1.2kΩ, higher R -> vice versa. Higher R is only more safer, but a considerably lower R might be a bit more riskier. Don't go by a "too" low R value, though...
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    fragmasterMax,
    There is no "link up point" so you can't use a single pot to do the mod. Btw, the resistors do not need to be SMD. 3 linear resistors (or pots) would do the same thing as long as they're ~1.2kΩ. 1.2kΩ is not a figure set in stone, a lower R value would weaken the OCP (and vGPU phase balancing) even more compared to 1.2kΩ, higher R -> vice versa. Higher R is only more safer, but a considerably lower R might be a bit more riskier. Don't go by a "too" low R value, though...
    Great
    thanks for the valuable info.
    15k in 3dmark 06, here i come. I'll try it with some of these pots i have, and see if lower resistance than 1.2k gives me different results. I have Friday and sat off, i'll report back with my results.
    I can't wait to see what kind of results this will yield.
    WAIT
    what do you think would happen if i just used one pot and connected all three
    caps to it? (and connected the output of the pot to each one of the grounds on each of the caps?
    would that F*** things up? It seems likely that it would. What do you think?
    Thanks!!!!!

Xtreme Member
    Your gambling a gfx card that costs hundreds of dollars over buying some resistors that cost pennies. Go online and order some SMR's and do it right!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
    Your gambling a gfx card that costs hundreds of dollars over buying some resistors that cost pennies. Go online and order some SMR's and do it right!
    you've got a good point.I'll see what radioshack has to offer, in any case i want to get this done asap. (no waiting for shipping).

Would replacing the caps, and adding different ones have any effect?
    here's something interesting from wikipedia btw:
    Capacitors are used in power factor correction. Such capacitors often come as three capacitors connected as a three phase load. Usually, the values of these capacitors are given not in farads but rather as a reactive power in volt-amperes reactive (VAr). The purpose is to counteract inductive loading from electric motors and fluorescent lighting in order to make the load appear to be mostly resistive.

Theres plenty of food for thought, but right now i need sleep.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I completed the mod with 1kohm (1/8 watt) carbon film resistors that i picked up at radioshack for a grand total of .99 cents. (they came in a 5 pack.)
    .....and it worked out great though i am still a bit disappointed in the video card that i have. Before where i was able to get to 650/1566/970 now i am at 650/1782/970. I could only get the vcore at 675 when i pored on the volts (1.5 and above At that point the themps where in the mid 80's). One thing is for sure, the shader clock runs off the same voltage as the core, so the higher that is the more mhz you can pull out of it.

15k in 3dmark 06 was a bit of a stretch, i get 13440 with my b3 q6600 at 3 ghz. I'l see what i can do with a g0...........

THANKS GO TO TIMBOSAN FOR HAVING THE COURAGE AND INSIGHT TO DISCOVER THIS MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by fragmasterMax; 01-11-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: props to someone i copied

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words fragmasterMax, i appreciate it. i have bad news. On friday, theives broke into my home and stole my system, and my older system, my laptop & other musical equipment, my multimeter, my mothers engagement ring, and other personal items. i now do not own any computers. im also not working right now, so a replacement will be a long time coming. upset doesnt come close to describing how i feel.

N1ck - im sorry but ill never know if my 8800 could run HL2EP2. I hope you persevere with the mod and sort out whatever issues your card has.

Seeya guys, i'll still be dropping in (from my friends pc though so it wont be frequent) so i will still answer anything you wanna know.

Tim.
    Last edited by Timbosan; 01-15-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Xtreme Guru

I hope the police catches them scum and you get your stuff back.
    Maybe you should start watching "for sale" ads for your stuff just in case they try to flog the parts in a hurry? Sometimes they are that stupid...
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Member

Sorry to hear about your lose man. There is nothing I despise worse than a thief.

I hope they catch the a-holes and cut their hands off!

c[_]
    check pawn shops.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got a question... I modded my cousin's 8800GT card and measured the voltage under idle and load....

I am not sure if we're measuring it wrong but at Idle it was 1.33v and under ATI Tool load, it shot to 1.38v.....

That's not exactly a vdroop...can anyone elaborate on this?
    Last edited by n91htmare; 01-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Asus P5B-D WiFi
    E6300 L626 @ 3.2@ 1.32V
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Big Typhoon Air cooling
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Anniversary
    320GB SeagateSATA
    Enermax 460W PS

Xtreme Legend
    bad news mate

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    check pawn shops.
    ^^^^he's right normally stuff like that pops in there
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

can these resistors be used instead for the ocp mod? does it matter if it is carbon film or any type of film will work? thanks. Just not sure if I can get smd ones in town and I want to do this mod tomorrow.
    E8500 (4.2 ghz)
    Crucial 800 8gb
    Abit IP-35 Pro
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Hr-05 NB heatsink w/ 80mm fan
    GTX260
    Antec Quattro 850 psu
    28" I-Inc lcd monitor
    Logitech G9
    Logitech G15

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n91htmare View Post
    I got a question... I modded my cousin's 8800GT card and measured the voltage under idle and load....

I am not sure if we're measuring it wrong but at Idle it was 1.33v and under ATI Tool load, it shot to 1.38v.....

That's not exactly a vdroop...can anyone elaborate on this?
    sure can its normal all the G92 cards have positive vcore bias (voltage increases) under load.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    bad news mate

^^^^he's right normally stuff like that pops in there
    Yeah i plan to do this. i have rung them all but i know they probably wouldnt be straight with me. its probably gone to dealers in exchange for drugs but theres a chance some of its been hocked.

Quote Originally Posted by zbomb5610 View Post
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

can these resistors be used instead for the ocp mod? does it matter if it is carbon film or any type of film will work? thanks. Just not sure if I can get smd ones in town and I want to do this mod tomorrow.
    they should be fine they have a lower resistance than mine but if you have a G80 GTS it should work although you will have a slightly higher OCP point than me (i never got a chance to check where it was on my card though). Any type should be fine, i just used 0603 size 1.2K smd's cos i had a spare mobo i desoldered them from and they fit perfectly.
    Last edited by Timbosan; 01-16-2008 at 05:05 AM.

I do not like solder VGA cards so i tryed to make a pencil mod. I could go only to ~1Kohm and that is not enought. My card still power down themself when I try to increase voltage.
    May be I will buy some resistor and solder it...

Back from the Dead
    Hey guys,
    card's soldered and ready for some fun. Will be reinstalling it now and see how it goes - had a friend of mine do OVP/Vdroop as shown in this thread and also vgpu and vmem variable via poti
    2000Mhz shader on water is about to go down!
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Back from the Dead
    Ok, Vdroop mod seems to work, I now have 1,34-1,35V idle and 1,33-1,34V atitool load
    First tests schow an increase in OC potential, I got 756/1820 artefact free.
    Next stop: 800 Core (I hope).

Edit: Got some bad news... seems like A3 cards don't like that much voltage. When I try 1,5V I get lots of artefacts in ATItool, also 3DMark06 in 1920*1200 freezes on me with 783Mhz core no matter the voltage
    I don't think its OVP it's just the card that can't handle that much V. It's not too hot either (50C diode).
    Also my mem sucks, I got 2160Mhz stable and artefact-free with 2,05V but when I try 2200 it fails. More V doesn't help but makes it worse, at 2,1V Vmem I even get more artefacts that at 2,05V - again it can't be the cooling, ram temp is under 40C.
    As for the shader, 1890 seems the max (at least with 1,4V load). 1944 gives me lots of errors.
    So for now I'm perfectly stable at 756/1890/1080, I did manage a 783 core run in 1280*1024 though

>15k with one GTS and a moderate 3,5Ghz CPU isn't too shabby I'd think
    Last edited by jcool; 02-06-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12