Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ISH Removal for e21XX series CPUs

Banned
    this is a great guide, I may do it to my 2160.

conflicting posts though... is removing IHS only good for air + water cooling?

I am going to be using DICE (with one of Duniek's pots) and if it makes no difference then I will just leave the top on

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    this is a great guide, I may do it to my 2160.

conflicting posts though... is removing IHS only good for air + water cooling?

I am going to be using DICE (with one of Duniek's pots) and if it makes no difference then I will just leave the top on

I get the feeling that you could leave your top on. With such extreme cooling as Dice. It doesnt matter much if you get minus 46 or minus 50.

You also make your cpu much more fragile if remove the ihs, not so good for exprimental mounting metods used with a heavy Dice container.

I only got 2-4 C better cooling on air with the ihs removed, I think on Dice you probobly wont even notice any difference.

But anyway, I could be wrong. Since these chips are so inexpensive you can afford to gamble a bit with em.
    MotherBoard: GigaByte G33M DS2R
    Memory: 2x1 Gb HyperX DDR2-9600, 1200 Mhz
    Cpu: Intel e2160 @ 3,6 Ghz on Air
    Vga: XFX 4870 XXX
    Cooling: Ninja Mini, 2x Ximatek 120mm, 1x Zalman 80mm , Stock Gpu
    Case: Antec Fusion Remote

How I removed IHS:

I got ~8C lower temps, but with less noise (Freezer 7 Pro @1800rpm, before it was 2300-2500rpm). With same amount of noise, I guess difference would be bigger.

In begining:

After 20min:

You could notice a little scratch in the upper right corner, fortunately there isn't anything. I was very lucky, CPU is still 100% stable.

Very important thing is to remove this:

as stated in this thread:
    http://thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=23

That was first attempt, because I didn't have cooler with bolt-thru mechanism, base didn't touch core, so i had to wait 'till I manage to work this out.

2 days ago, I attempted to finish this mod:

First I isolated mbo from getting scrached.

Further:

How it looks like from above.

Now, some foam to protect core and to distribute force evenly:

It was necessary to tighten the upper two screws much more than lower two, because cooler was hanging a bit and contact was bad, temps rose up to 70C.

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures with cooler instaled, I was pretty nervous to get this done.

In the end, CPU needs slightly less voltage for 3200MHz: instead 1.384V it is enough 1.368V. Also, it is stable on 3350MHz @1.44V, bit it's too much for 24/7, altough temps are 55-56C, just like 3200MHz @1.384V prior to IHS removal.

SRV thats an awesome post!
    What cooler are you running? Did you get through the fsb wall? what motherboard are you running?
    Drive it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by chatmaster View Post
    SRV thats an awesome post!
    What cooler are you running? Did you get through the fsb wall? what motherboard are you running?
    Thanks.

It's Asus P5B Rev. 1.04 mbo (vdroop pencil mod) with AC Freezer 7 Pro cooler.

FSB wall is between 380-390MHz going from BIOS, but in windows when using SetFSB, about 430-440MHz, I didn't dig too much into that.

Xtreme Addict
    definately awesome post! now i'm gonna try on my pentium 4! with a torch of course.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    definately awesome post! now i'm gonna try on my pentium 4! with a torch of course.
    You can use boiled water, much safer.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ht=ihs+removal

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelinGuy View Post
    You can use boiled water, much safer.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ht=ihs+removal
    Or sand it (not just lapping) till the metal is gone and yo see the naked core. I'm gonna try that on my Celeron 430.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

hmm, this might be a good idea...

because i lapped 2x e2160 which was concaved till its pretty much flat, but load temps did not change before and after mod, idle temp improved by 1~2c, will try removing the IHS when i reinstall my rig in the next 3 or 4 days

Xtreme Member
    IMHO sanding off the IHS is a better idea because the part which is glued to the CPU(near the edges of the package) is still there and could protect the core(s) from breaking due to too much and/or unevenly distributed force applied from the cooler. Also the process itself seems safer as there's no risk of cutting off some of the processor's internal circuirty.Just be careful not to sand off some of the core along with the IHS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234