Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: "Teybers Rotary SS"

Xtreme Mentor

"Teybers Rotary SS"

hello all! finally getting to a stage in this process, where i am starting to work. I still have so many things to buy and make, but i will start. This thread is pre-mature, but if you have followed any of my other work threads you will know i post lots of pictures. I am still waiting on condensers from nol and a mill for evaps, and some other odd-and end things.

What you see here is:
    robinair 15600 vacuum pump(+oil)
    30lb recovery tank
    recovery unit(+filter)
    uei dt-200 thermometer
    15% brazing rods
    2 core removers
    1 core removal
    spring benders
    bending tool
    2 pipe cutters
    schrader valves
    ball valve
    cap tube cutter
    anti-blowback valves
    and several other things.

What you see here is 60 cubic feet of nitrogen with a nice regulator. In future i will invest in a flowmeter regulator in addition, but this is more then fine for purging now. this should be great for pressure/leak testing

50 feet of .25" refrigeration tubing, 10 feet of .031" cap tube, and 12 feet of .04" cap tube. (yes, very un-restrictive )

here is a mapp torch, oxy/mapp torch, oxy/mapp/propane bottles, flux, brazign rods, helmet and gloves. i actually have a oxygen acetylene kit on the way which will be very fun!

and last but not least, 2 compressors i have here, and desup... The desuperheater is made of about 60" of .25" tubing. Its crooked *cough* on purpose to increase surface area? ill straiten it out. I was having a hard time not getting the bending to crip while bending it around some 2.25" aluminum solid stock i had, so i had to do it by eye. the two compressors are a 5k btu rechi compressor, and a 5.5k btu LG hero compressor. The rechi is much smaller and is brand new, i will be using it(most likely) on this build. The LG is a stronger compressor, but it lost a lot of un-measured oil when i had my little r-22 accident and it think it would be a very discouraging first build to use it. Once i get the condensers i will be starting this build.

P.S. total price in tools so far is 1750$ and still need to get my 608 license, refrigerant, and other small things. Variac is on way, load tester is almost done. Will post pics of that when done.

P.P.S. Might swap compressor out to a matsu$hita 1/2hp rotary, or might incorporate one of those into another build.

Regards
    Last edited by teyber; 03-29-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Mentor
    another thing, i would like to thank these people for some amazing help, answering repetitive questions, and teaching me valuable safety lessons:
    drewmeister
    jinu
    tim
    wdrzl
    sneil
    starkiller
    killermiller
    nol
    sexymf
    ssilencer
    detroit AC

and many, many more....

I forgot to include my manifold in the pic, its a JB 4 valve manifold. i will post it up sometime....

regards
    Last edited by teyber; 12-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teyber View Post
    another thing, i would like to thank these people for some amazing help, answering repetitive questions, and teaching me valuable safety lessons:
    drewmeister
    jinu
    tim
    wdrzl
    sneil
    starkiller
    killermiller
    nol
    sexymf
    ssilencer
    You already forgot 1 important thing in your second picture, mounting your nitrogen tank to the wall with a big chain.

Nice set of tools

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bassie View Post
    You already forgot 1 important thing in your second picture, mounting your nitrogen tank to the wall with a big chain.

Nice set of tools
    thanks!
    Yes, i am going to lowes tonight and will be picking up a small segment of chain. I completely cleaned out my garage over the summer, (like 100% makeover...) and many things got thrown out that seem like junk, but now im regretting it... chain being one of the many things

peace

-150c Club Member
    Nitrogen reg looks like it has a flare output, so why the clear tube? Just hook your charging hose up!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Nitrogen reg looks like it has a flare output, so why the clear tube? Just hook your charging hose up!
    Yes it is. I am mostly just purging and whatnot now. I have the tubing on their becuase 1) i have extra watercooling tubing, 2) its easy to attach to a couplng and attach other tubing to this small diameter for purging... What i last did with this was fill the desup full of nitrogen to keep insides from oxidizing. How long do these bottles last? a huge amount of nitrogen was coming out, or so it sounds. Nothing out of the ordinary or wrong, but i just can't imagine it last very long... then again, it is 3/4k psi

Peace

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it will last for months if you just purge a couple of units/week. it's the pressuretesting that really consume volumes of nitrogen.

Xtreme Addict
    Pressure testing will make it go very fast, especially if you have a leak. Nice looking vac you have there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice to see this up Teyb! You'll make a great phase builder, glad i was able to help out although i still have a long overdue pm i have to get back to over at eoc.
    Extreme Phase Builder/User

SLI Cascade in the works.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by tim- View Post
    it will last for months if you just purge a couple of units/week. it's the pressuretesting that really consume volumes of nitrogen.
    Sweet... problem for purging is i can't even measure the psi coming out... As the low side has no pressure, its just being pushed through a open pipe... I will invest in a flowmeter regulator sometime soon, but i a little overwhelmed with what i have here
    Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Pressure testing will make it go very fast, especially if you have a leak. Nice looking vac you have there.
    Thanks! Luckily its only 15$ for me to fill this 60cuft baby up and 30$ for argon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneil View Post
    Nice to see this up Teyb! You'll make a great phase builder, glad i was able to help out although i still have a long overdue pm i have to get back to over at eoc.
    Thank you! your the one who inspired me. No worries on the PM, i tend to delay PM's sometimes... (unless im asking a question )

Stupid question guys, What keeps the compressor's oil from igniting while brazing on high/low side connections? And sense running nitrogen through the compressor wouldn't fill the intire compressor inert (the pole/offset shaft part of the rotary), wouldn't you get nasty oxidation it lots of parts of the compressor?

Peace. im still thinking of building a case for this... I don't think i will. Im not sure what i will do with this unit. its a total crapshoot, being my first build and using homemade evap, but im hoping for -20c/-15c while loaded with either r402a or r507a... We will see though.

Regards

Xtreme Member
    You have collected really great tools, teyber. I wish you a lot of success!

Best regards,
    DagoDuck
    German Phase Change Builder - Drop me a PM!

-100c Club Member
    You better not get compressor shell that hot to ignite oil. If it ever did, you have acidic oil in loop not to mention the fume is toxic. Wonder if it is possible to ignite oil inside compressor by heating it up so much.... (I mean... it's pretty damned big mass....)
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DagoDuck View Post
    You have collected really great tools, teyber. I wish you a lot of success!

Best regards,
    DagoDuck
    thank you very much! i will probably need all the luck i can get
    Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    You better not get compressor shell that hot to ignite oil. If it ever did, you have acidic oil in loop not to mention the fume is toxic. Wonder if it is possible to ignite oil inside compressor by heating it up so much.... (I mean... it's pretty damned big mass....)
    Yeah, i was really wondering the same thing... or even if not hot enough to ignite, im sure its possible to overheat the thing and ruin it. I think i will invest in some 45% brazing rods sometime, well i need to for suction but i was thinking for compressor ports so i can just apply heat pull out and apply the 45%...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good luck on the build..... you sure are getting started right

As far as getting the compressor oil too hot from brazing on suction and discharge lines....... forget it You would have to try very hard to get the compressor hot enough to hurt anything from brazing on those tubes, when the heat reaches the compressor shell it just radiates out from there, it would be extremely hard to put that much heat into the compressor just from brazing on tubing.
    CPU's: E6700es, 950es (WR 6.1ghz) http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=186415

MB's: Asus P5WD2 Premium, DFI 975 X/G

Memory: Corsair PC5400UL

Video: ATI X800pro, ATI X1800XT, ATI X1900XTX

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by boshuter View Post
    Good luck on the build..... you sure are getting started right

As far as getting the compressor oil too hot from brazing on suction and discharge lines....... forget it You would have to try very hard to get the compressor hot enough to hurt anything from brazing on those tubes, when the heat reaches the compressor shell it just radiates out from there, it would be extremely hard to put that much heat into the compressor just from brazing on tubing.
    thanks I heard also, was it you who said it? but in rockdude's thread to wrap the compressor in a damp towel... I will try that.

i have a couple more pics for you guys.

First, i fixed the nitrogen tank

second, here is where i was on evap untill my lathe died

There is my in-process load tester. I think im going to re-lap it and change insulation. need to add a grounding screw and solder in my thermal cutoff/thermal fuse. Also note that huge hunk of copper its crying for a mill... (evaps)

there is the front of my JB 4 valve manifold. This thing is friggin awsome

the rear. You screw in the un-used ends of the hoses here

Regards! and happy holidays!

p.s. sorry for blurry nitrogen pic...

Xtreme Addict
    You got all those charging hoses, now why don't you use one for your nitrogen? Less chance of it blowing off ^_^
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Member
    Looking at the pictures of your evap in progress it looks like you're trying to take too much material off it each pass. I don't know if you've picked up a book on basic machining yet (I've read this and it was useful but not complete), but it could help your finish. The same principal applies to the milling machine when you get yours. Anyways looking good, looks like you're all set

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    You got all those charging hoses, now why don't you use one for your nitrogen? Less chance of it blowing off ^_^
    Definatly, I thought tubing was easier for purging... as the desup isn't threaded 1/4" sae. Definatly will be using my manifold for leak testing...
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket733 View Post
    Looking at the pictures of your evap in progress it looks like you're trying to take too much material off it each pass. I don't know if you've picked up a book on basic machining yet (I've read this and it was useful but not complete), but it could help your finish. The same principal applies to the milling machine when you get yours. Anyways looking good, looks like you're all set
    Really? im new to machining so i want all the advice i can get. I was taking of .02" or so per pass, was going at 520-580rpm's. The finish is terrible because i was in the middle of taking metal off when i see a large pop, besides the fuse, and it doesn't come back on But i definatly know how to get a better finish. Thanks for the book link

Xtreme Guru
    that's some NICE equipment you have there, how much did that cost you? I'm a year younger than you and I can't afford half that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    that's some NICE equipment you have there, how much did that cost you? I'm a year younger than you and I can't afford half that!
    about 1,800$ not including refrigerant, 608 license, flowmeter regulator, 45% brazing rods, and other stuff

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    you young dratsab(read backwards) i am older then you therefore i am dominant jk. im about 2 weeks into my 16th birthday. Stay fresh

-130C Club Member
    Wow, nice stuff ya got there

Xtreme Mentor
    well, my variable transformer just came! sawheeet!

It has a distinctive smell that doesn't smell healthy... and has "made in china" all over it. i bet its loaded with led had to block something out of the second picture, you weren't supposed to see it lol. Its a 5 amp -130v variable transformer. 5a will give me lots of headway for say a waterchiller load tester. But i really want to tune this baby to perfection, so im not skimping on load testing.

Regards! merry x-mas eve.

Reed

Xtreme Addict
    I have an imperial 4 valve and feel like I wasted my money on a my 2 valve.

-100c Club Member
    I have an imperial 4 valve and feel like I wasted my money on a my 2 valve.
    No you haven't. I use my 2 valve for dedicated nitrogen service
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast