Thread: EK-DDC X-Top Rev 2 Plexi vs XSPC Laing DDC Top

Xtreme Member

EK-DDC X-Top Rev 2 Plexi vs XSPC Laing DDC Top

Guys i just curious which top will perform better with dcc 3.2 Price wise they both pretty much the same, so can someone re recommend me which to get please. Thanks
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Bios f7
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz
    Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4-4-4-12 2.2v @ 483mhz

Water Cooling
    CPU Loop: DCC 3.2 + XSPC RES Top -> PA 120.3 -> apogee GT
    GPU Loop: DCC 3.2 + XSPC top -> EK Full block 8800GT -> MCR320 ->Switch Reservoir Rev. 2

I am Xtreme
    my vote goes to ek v2... its got more flow...tested and lovin it...

Never go full retard
    I do have the XSPC Res top and the EK X-Top V2 scheduled for testing, I just need to round up some more DDC tops before I begin. I would like to have 5 DDC tops on hand before I start the test and work up full P/Q curves.

Xtreme Member
    I like this one
    also i have the xspc dcc top, but i haven't hook up anything yet because my pa 120.3 is on the way.
    anyways do they perform the same EK Waterblocks EK-DDC X-Top Rev 2 -
    Acetal
    plexi
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz

Water Cooling
    GPU Loop: DCC 3.2 + XSPC top -> EK Full block 8800GT -> MCR320 ->Switch Reservoir Rev. 2

I am Xtreme
    the acetal picture you have is version1...

look at the picture i posted...it says "x top v2"

I am Xtreme
    Until pressure numbers are posted, the XSPC res top is "best" for whatever it's worth.

...and the best Delrin top is Petra's (which is being re-designed according to rumors).
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    I have both and honestly in my opinion it wont make that BIG of a difference just choose one and go with it the EK and XSPC are both very close in terms of increasing the performance of the pump... I would see which one i think looks better and go with that EK has upped its game since the first X-top because XSPC was really the only one doing really well back then but the new V2s are really good... so if you like EK go with one of those if you like XSPC go with that one
    [Project] - Black & Green
    The mother of all builds!:p(maybe)

Xtreme Member
    hmm i am not sure, but sidewindercomputers says v2 http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwaekx.html
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz

Water Cooling

I am Xtreme
    ask gary about the picture...hahahha performance-pcs has an updated picture..

different tops reviewed from dexgo

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Xtreme Member
    thx for the link hondacity nice review there
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz

Water Cooling

I am Xtreme
    anytime...

wow 4ghz on ud3p...no surprise...good specs..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    anytime...

wow 4ghz on ud3p...no surprise...good specs..
    ehehe i can overclock it higher, but 8800gt dumps alot of heat to the cpu loop, ya the ud3p is one of the best overclockin mobos out there, very stabe im gonna try 500 x 8.5 when i receive my pa 120.3
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz

Water Cooling

Xtreme Member
    Hey, but whats the best top for older DDC-2 18W pump with red impeller (its a little bit more powerfull than new DDC3.2 and comes with different impeller)?

Im curently using DDC-2 18W with Petras first top DDCT-01 from May 2007 and works perfectly like it was in first days, top is bit different from newest one DDCT-01s and needs mod to fit on DDC-3.2 pums as I understand. So whats best for older DDC-2 and that preforms great on 3.2 too. And is it worth to upgrade?

How pump looks with top, reservoir and self made mounting, any advice?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 L845B @ 4.3 Ghz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev1.1 with F11, 8Gb Crucial Ballistix 4x2Gb DDRII @ DDR1100+,
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb, 2 x 80Gb Hitachi SATA2 raid0 + WD 400Gb SATA for data, Nec DVD-RW ND-3520AW,
    ThermalTake ToughPower 1200w, LG Flatron 20" L204WT Black, water on CPU + VGA and another stuff...

Xtreme Member
    i have the DDCT-01s on my mcp355, before i had the mcp655 but i love this pump a lot better hasnt failed me yet.
    PTS,NCIX,PPCS *recommended*
    - "Illusive Perceptions" - July-August 08 -
    DFI LanParty UT->SLI
    X2-3800 LCBIE 0618EPMW / AS5 / IHS Removed
    EVGA 8600GTS SLi ! w/ FuZion GFX rev2
    OCZ PlAtREV2. 2GB TCCD's | X-FI XTREME-FATALITY
    CM 600W DUO | DD WaterWOODbox MODDED
    UV1/2"LRT tubing.TDX Lapped.BIP120.2,yateLoons,
    ddc.2+petras top, dd dfi nb block , dual uv

Chasing After Diety
    i hate the D5.

its ugly, and when people try to bling it out, it reminds me of a ricer.

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    i hate the D5.

its ugly, and when people try to bling it out, it reminds me of a ricer.

lol i hate those d5s too, takes too much space i sold two of two and bought two mcp355s
    q9550 @ 4.1Ghz

Water Cooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    my vote goes to ek v2... its got more flow...tested and lovin it...

Hondacity you rock man!! Thanks for the support.

I am currently running two XSPC res tops and they are working great. I had the D5 before and I really liked that but the res top is a great space saver and performs awesome.
    As far as temps I think they were within 2C when I changed pumps out. Just find the one you like and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashelz View Post
    Hey, but whats the best top for older DDC-2 18W pump with red impeller (its a little bit more powerfull than new DDC3.2 and comes with different impeller)?

Im curently using DDC-2 18W with Petras first top DDCT-01 from May 2007 and works perfectly like it was in first days, top is bit different from newest one DDCT-01s and needs mod to fit on DDC-3.2 pums as I understand. So whats best for older DDC-2 and that preforms great on 3.2 too. And is it worth to upgrade?

How pump looks with top, reservoir and self made mounting, any advice?

Stick with the first version of the Petra top you got. The difference is the protruding ridge by at the inlet hole.

The entrance into the impeller on the DDC-2 (orange) is much larger than the DDC 3.2 (Blue) and this ridge will fit inside the orange impeller, but not the blue impeller. If you put the first Petra top on a DDC 3.2 it will rub on top of the blue impeller. No good.

Petra revised his top to get rid of the little protrusion for the DDC 3.2.

I have several of each pump and I say keep your DDC-2 going as long as you can. I think it is still the best. However, there are some advantages to the DDC 3.2 such as better start-up voltage/amperage control and all around better circuitry.

I really like your pump/reservoir combo on the mounting base. Nice.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for reply, looks like I will stick with old Petras top, its working for me great. Yes, there is difference in inlet for Petras first and second top, but it is posible to use first top on DDC3.2 (blue impeller) too by cuting that protrusion off

Anyway maybe there is some tests available where is DDC-2 tested instead of DDC3.2 with diferent tops, more like nowdays tops, as Petras are pretty outdated now.

And for pump, its great, I think its one of last DDC-2 that was made and maybe came with some modification in pcb design, as there is S.2 sticker on its pcb, have seen S.1 on others that was dead if remmeber correctly. It powers up really smoothly and only after 1 - 2 seconds, when I puwer it up, maybe its old DDC, but with newer control inside? As its works long time, have seen some of them dies after some days or weeks.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 E0 L845B @ 4.3 Ghz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev1.1 with F11, 8Gb Crucial Ballistix 4x2Gb DDRII @ DDR1100+,
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb, 2 x 80Gb Hitachi SATA2 raid0 + WD 400Gb SATA for data, Nec DVD-RW ND-3520AW,
    ThermalTake ToughPower 1200w, LG Flatron 20" L204WT Black, water on CPU + VGA and another stuff...

Xtreme Addict
    I've always wondered what would happen if you modded a DDC3.2 and put an orange impeller in it over the long haul. I wonder what caused the failures? Was it the load of the impeller, or was it the windings were a bit thin guage for the job, or maybe the circuitry? If it was just the later two, and we knew the orange impellers would work that would be the trick setup.

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    If it was just the later two, and we knew the orange impellers would work that would be the trick setup.
    It was a motor design issue... the early DDC-1 pumps were plagued by similar issues, they fixed those, and then, as far as I can tell, used the DDC-1 design to cook up the DDC-2 (which probably pushed things a little too far). When they failed, it was always a few specific components which went up in smoke on the control board (in extreme cases, roasting the traces right off about 1/4 of the PCB). Not all of them failed prematurely, though... of the DDC-2's that we sold, around 6-6.5% came back as defective or DOA.

The bulk of the performance difference between the DDC-2 and DDC-3.2 is purely a result of the new motor. The DDC-2 is substantially more powerful than the DDC-3.2 and the blue impeller from the DDC-3.2 actually improves the performance of the DDC-2 (nobody remembers that I tested that with the old setup?). Now, I didn't try the DDC-2 impeller in the DDC-3.2 but I doubt that it would save that 'crippled' pump.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=137484
    (Remember, that stuff was done with the old setup, so it's not nearly as good as the newer pump testing that I did with the Detroit Thermo top, D5 Basic, and D4)
    Last edited by Petra; 01-29-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It was a motor design issue... the early DDC-1 pumps were plagued by similar issues, they fixed those, and then, as far as I can tell, used the DDC-1 design to cook up the DDC-2 (which probably pushed things a little too far). When they failed, it was always a few specific components which went up in smoke on the control board (in extreme cases, roasting the traces right off about 1/4 of the PCB). Not all of them failed prematurely, though... of the DDC-2's that we sold, around 6-6.5% came back as defective or DOA.

The bulk of the performance difference between the DDC-2 and DDC-3.2 is purely a result of the new motor. The DDC-2 is substantially more powerful than the DDC-3.2 and the blue impeller from the DDC-3.2 actually improves the performance of the DDC-2 (nobody remembers that I tested that with the old setup?). Now, I didn't try the DDC-2 impeller in the DDC-3.2 but I doubt that it would save that 'crippled' pump.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=137484
    (Remember, that stuff was done with the old setup, so it's not nearly as good as the newer pump testing that I did with the Detroit Thermo top, D5 Basic, and D4)
    OMG ALEX!!! You read my mind!! I need to start wearing my aluminum foil hat again.

I was looking at that very topic a little earlier tonight and was going to ask you about putting a DDC 2 impeller into a 3.2 (I have 3 dead DDC 2's here from unrelated causes...2 thanks to Alphacool and 1 from my own stupidity).
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    i have the DDCT-01s on my mcp355, before i had the mcp655 but i love this pump a lot better hasnt failed me yet.
    which pump do you love ? the DDC or the D5 ? i don t understand your sentence mate^^

Actually, i think to buy a D5 or a DDC 3.2.
    I have x1 DDC 3.1 + EK Top V2 and i m very suprise by the power and the silence !! incredible "dead slience" at 4000 Rpm. very good perf for 10w.
    I m going to make the 18w mod with a switch. The tests says it reduce noise and i confirm without any doubt.

I asked the EK team about a 3/8 version of the V2. It s not planned yet but they think about it.
    With this combo, i m sure perf will be even better... gg EK !

This top roxxxx better than the XSPC.
    Last edited by redgabber; 01-30-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Petra - but whats your suggestion to do, stick with DDC-01 top, mod the top like DDC-01s (inline) or just get XSPC top or X-Top rev.2? Its for DDC-2 pump, I think then it will outpreform DDC3.2 even more with powerfull top.

As I understand old DDC-2 together with newer blue impeller (called The Frankenpump) would be the best choise for preformance, but there is vibration and noise, so it can easily damage the pump with this mod I think.

Banned
    I did a bucket flow test and the new EK DDC Top V2 gave the same flow rate as the Petra Top V2. I saw no real difference.