Thread: AC Freezer 7 Pro Improvising and Mod's

AC Freezer 7 Pro Improvising and Mod's

I have an original Freezer 7 Pro (not Rev 2) that I ran with my newly retired Socket 775 rig.

Now running an AMD (AM3) setup with a Phenom II 555BE. The stock heatsink leaves alot to be desired.

Is it possible to use a bolt-through kit such as this to mount the Freezer 7 to my AM3 board:
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thamdsoam2am.html

Just looking at possibilities as I'd hate for this beast of a heatsink to go to waste

Xtreme 3D Team
    It would be extremely loose, not recommending it.

Looks like your gonna need a new heatsink, you can get a better one for about $30-40. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thbauncpucos.html
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-15-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    To run that bolt-thru kit you would need to run some type of material between the block and the bracket to increase pressure, such as a penny or two.

However, i agree with BeepBeep's suggestion, another great cooler to look at on a budget is the Xigmatek S1283.
    [SIZE="1"]Main Rig:
    - New rig incoming -

Watercooling Loop: Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top | Tubing: 1/2 x 3/4" | Waterblock: Apogee GTZ | Radiator: XSPC RS360 | Fans: 3x Delta FFB1212EHE | Fittings: Fatboy Barbs | Other: 5ft Custom Bong Cooler for benching

Thats what I thought... based on looking at photos of the Freezer 64 and the Freezer 7.
    The Freezer 64 looks like it has a thin black "spacer" type of material on top of the block.. then the 64 clip..
    versus the Freezer 7, has nothing on top of the block..

Got it to work. I ordered the stock Freezer 64 clip from Arctic-Cooling for $1.00.
    Then I got a piece of 1/16" x 1 1/4" aluminum stock from Lowes. Cut off a piece the same length as the copper block on the cooler. Dry fitted it on top of the block, with the clip installed and on top.. Mounted it to my motherboard to make sure it was firm and it clipped properly. After I verified that.. I went ahead and epoxied the spacer on top and let it cure for ten minutes and remounted it permantely.
    If you notice on the stock Freezer 64 cooler, there does appear to be a small piece of material on top of the block. The Freezer 7, stock.. does not have this piece of material.

Idle temps on my Phenom II 555 are 22*C
    Not too bad, compared to the stock heatsink.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know if you are getting any vibration issues, but if you hear buzzing from the aluminum stock, try using foam tape.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.