Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2009 Corvette ZR1 !!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the 302 was a cheap powerhouse to mod lol. and you could get 450+ out of them without a whole lot of internal work (unlike the sad little 2v 4.6's).

if they made a 306 it'd be a bit nicer just to actually have the full 5.0 but none the less if they do bring it back, it will be a wonderful day.
    emptiness

Sounds like some people are engineers in here, seeing that they think they know better than the engineers at GM itself.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Well technically, i am an engineer

Although unemployed - stupid job market

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Member
    hmmm i am starting to like corvettes, i might get flamed for this but i still rather have the GTR just because sorry to say IMO it looks nicer and corners breaks better (I think, i wann see a Top Gear comparison) and the interirors nicer... but i liek this corvette a lot suprisingly since i usually dont like any american cars except the Saleens and sort of teh Ford GT which technically isnt even american...
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850
    2x2GB DDR3 G.Skill (forget exact name )

"I would get down on my knees... grit my teeth... swallow my pride.... open wide... wet my lips... crack my knuckles.... and tie your shoe if you tell me!!!"

Quote form Top Gears host J. Clarksons DVD: America Vs Europe

While driving the Corvette ZO6.

"Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for double posting I realized it later, but what are the stats on this car? top speed HP, accelaration 60-0 sorry i didnt read all the comments actually only about 2 or 3.

O YES also this is still a V8 right? and how many litres now? is it the same engine as the Z06 just tuned? if someone could provide this info that be great.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850

"I would get down on my knees... grit my teeth... swallow my pride.... open wide... wet my lips... crack my knuckles.... and tie your shoe if you tell me!!!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So does this thing handle then or is it a typical straight line warrior we would come to expect from a corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
    So does this thing handle then or is it a typical straight line warrior we would come to expect from a corvette?
    Since when did a Corvette not handle?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Cruncher
    Since all American cars started lasting only 60,000 miles, get 6 MPG, have super cheap and ugly interiors, and have crap handling.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Since all American cars started lasting only 60,000 miles, get 6 MPG, have super cheap and ugly interiors, and have crap handling.
    Probably all except the Corvette.

Lookup ALMS, LMS, GT racing haters.
    i5 3570k | Asrock Z77 e4 | F3-2666CL11D-8GTXD | GTX660Ti | HX650 | 2xU2312HM

Xtreme News Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FuzzyBallz View Post
    hmmm i am starting to like corvettes, i might get flamed for this but i still rather have the GTR just because sorry to say IMO it looks nicer and corners breaks better (I think, i wann see a Top Gear comparison) and the interirors nicer... but i liek this corvette a lot suprisingly since i usually dont like any american cars except the Saleens and sort of teh Ford GT which technically isnt even american...
    Sorry for double posting I realized it later, but what are the stats on this car? top speed HP, accelaration 60-0 sorry i didnt read all the comments actually only about 2 or 3.

O YES also this is still a V8 right? and how many litres now? is it the same engine as the Z06 just tuned? if someone could provide this info that be great.

Whats wrong with you? How do you know how it handles? how it brakes? and the GTR looks better? PLEASE.

And if you want more info GOOGLE. Its a 6.2L 620hp, GM did not reveal the 0-60 yet but its in the low 3 seconds. Its an all new engine LS9 with a specially designed charger.
    "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance." -- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer

Xtreme Enthusiast

6.2 liter supercharged 625BHP corvette. from a 20 roll, the corvette would kill the GTR, from a stop, the gtr would pull in first, and maybe second gear, but this thing would pass by the end of third, easily. with drag radials the 0-60 will probably be faster than the GTR as well. traction issues are only a problem with stock tires.

i guess if you like your headlights to be longer than you are tall, the GTR is for you. (seriously, the headlights are stretched like 20ft wtf)

sniper: the old c6 z06 barely loses to the GTR around the track, this thing has much more power and i wouldnt doubt handles a good deal better than the z06. and all corvettes, ever since the beginning of time, were inspired by race cars. which is why the tranny is rearmounted, and the driveshaft is between the motor and the transmission, instead of transmission and rearend, but somone who's not gonna do any research isn't going to know this before posting rediculous responses.

@ lead head, i know man! right? americans are failures at everything. lol
    Last edited by trance565; 01-06-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    emptiness

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trance565 View Post
    6.2 liter supercharged 625BHP corvette. from a 20 roll, the corvette would kill the GTR, from a stop, the gtr would pull in first, and maybe second gear, but this thing would pass by the end of third, easily. with drag radials the 0-60 will probably be faster than the GTR as well. traction issues are only a problem with stock tires.

i guess if you like your headlights to be longer than you are tall, the GTR is for you. (seriously, the headlights are stretched like 20ft wtf)

sniper: the old c6 z06 barely loses to the GTR around the track, this thing has much more power and i wouldnt doubt handles a good deal better than the z06. and all corvettes, ever since the beginning of time, were inspired by race cars. which is why the tranny is rearmounted, and the driveshaft is between the motor and the transmission, instead of transmission and rearend, but somone who's not gonna do any research isn't going to know this before posting rediculous responses.

...and this is based on what? I haven't seen any actual track material that these cars were droven, have you? There's Nurburing laptimes on some sites and based on those the Z06 is clearly slower than the Nissan GT-R. Atleast to me if the car loses 5sec per lap it doesn't "barely lose". I'm not bashing the Corvette but lets get the facts right atleast...
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Whats wrong with you? How do you know how it handles? how it brakes? and the GTR looks better? PLEASE.

And if you want more info GOOGLE. Its a 6.2L 620hp, GM did not reveal the 0-60 yet but its in the low 3 seconds. Its an all new engine LS9 with a specially designed charger.
    Sorry its just because Corvettes are always good in a straight line the ZO6 decent hadnling nothing amazing this should be a bit better but wont be anythng spectaculare i am guessing.. plus it wont better handling than the GTR because the GTR has 4WD, but yes in a straight line this should kill the GTR because of better traction.

Looks we cant say anything thats personall choice to be honest i dont even think the GTR even looks that nice the interior for the GTR is better tho you have to agree...

Still i am looking forward to this Corvette cant wait to see what it can do...
    Last edited by Dr.FuzzyBallz; 01-06-2008 at 11:48 AM.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trance565 View Post

Yes your right the old ZO6 dose barely loose its i think 4-5 second difference aroud the Nurburgring which is really not good if it was 75 lap race that be prett embaressing for the Corvette i think, so this thing since has more HP should have better handling should mean some serious competiton, and i am amazed they got 625BHP from 6.2 litre the old Z06 used like 7litre or 7.3 to get 400BHP... If they did do soemthing to the handling which they should have they might do really good if they didnt like a lot of american companys do they just put mor eand more power and never touch the suspension or down force, this thing will be a flop.

Anyone know the price tag?
    Last edited by Dr.FuzzyBallz; 01-06-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Traction? In rolling starts it's all about torque and that Corvette has much more than the GT-R. Of course the hp helps too.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme Member
    Yes your right the old ZO6 dose barely loose its i think 4-5 second difference which is really good so this thing should mean some serious competiton, and i am amazed they got 625BHP from 6.2 litre the old Z06 used like 7litre or 7.3 to get 400BHP...
    No, the OLD z06 got 405 from 5.7L. The NEW z06 gets 505 from 7.0L. The ZR1 gets 620 or 625(depending on the source) from 6.2L with a supercharger pushing 10.5Lb of boost. The data I am seeing on the web shows approximately 2 seconds of difference between the New z06 and the GTR around the ring (7:38 vs 7:40) While this is a lot of space between the cars, this doesn't represent much of a difference around a nearly 8 minute loop. I hate threads like this where people fail to give props where they are due and constantly tell of how one car is better than the other. FYI::: ALL OF THESE CARS ARE AMAZING IN THEIR OWN RIGHT!!!

Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage Conversion Bios 0403)
    Q6600 G0 stepping@4.05 Ghz
    8GB G. Skill 1066 @ 1081 Mhz
    EVGA 280 GTX
    Auzentech Prelude
    2X 74 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    2X 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 0 Vista Ultimate x64
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    DTek Fuzion V2 in a custom CPU only water loop
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Hanns-G 28" widescreen
    Klipsh Pro-Media 2.1
    G15 Keyboard and G9 Laser Mouse

Xtreme Member
    Its 4-5 seconds trust me...
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Once again, 2,3,4,5,6, or even 7 seconds on such a long track isn't a whole lot. Yes, it is a lot of space, but several seconds could be the difference between drivers and different days. They are both great cars and the new ZR1 will probably be great too.

Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage Conversion Bios 0403)
    Q6600 G0 stepping@4.05 Ghz
    8GB G. Skill 1066 @ 1081 Mhz
    EVGA 280 GTX
    Auzentech Prelude
    2X 74 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    2X 1 TB WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 0 Vista Ultimate x64
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
    DTek Fuzion V2 in a custom CPU only water loop
    Coolermaster Stacker 830
    Hanns-G 28" widescreen
    Klipsh Pro-Media 2.1
    G15 Keyboard and G9 Laser Mouse

As a general point, "handling" isn't always the same as going fast. Some very fast cars don't "handle" well.

4WD is not a guaranty of handling. It does help get power to the ground but it often makes cars feel "rough" as the corner.

We can guess about the handling of the Z06. I haven't driven the car and it appears that you haven't either so the best we can do is take the reviews to heart. Top Gear seems to really, really like the Z06. We have no review of the GTR as of yet.

Finally, someone mentioned Ring times. They don't really mean much. One run by the GTR might be faster than one run by the Z06 but we don't know if the tires were "stock" or for that mater even comparable. GM uses run flats. If Nissan fitted say R-compound tires the tires will make a bit difference.

Really, the silly thing is how hung up people get on this "handling" or "faster around X track" rather than is the car "fun".

Sorry its just because Corvettes are always good in a straight line the ZO6 decent hadnling nothing amazing this should be a bit better but wont be anythng spectaculare i am guessing.. plus it wont better handling than the GTR because the GTR has 4WD, but yes in a straight line this should kill the GTR because of better traction.

Looks we cant say anything thats personall choice to be honest i dont even think the GTR even looks that nice the interior for the GTR is better tho you have to agree...

Still i am looking forward to this Corvette cant wait to see what it can do...

Xtreme Member
    Yes Top Gear dose seem to like the Z06 but this is also what Jermey said the car is good on track terrible on road and also he said "Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

Also i am sure the GTR will have better handeling i dont know why i just have a feeling, i also have feeling this car will beat the GTR in accelaration, and maybe thats enogh to make up for it... and if the ZR1 dose end up having better handling (which will be a shock to me) than i am going to say that the ZR1 will kill the Skyline, anyone know the price tag of the ZR1 tho?
    Last edited by Dr.FuzzyBallz; 01-06-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak86 View Post
    Once again, 2,3,4,5,6, or even 7 seconds on such a long track isn't a whole lot. Yes, it is a lot of space, but several seconds could be the difference between drivers and different days. They are both great cars and the new ZR1 will probably be great too.

QFT 200%

Fuzzyballs, you really have no idea about cars, design, racing.
    i5 3570k | Asrock Z77 e4 | F3-2666CL11D-8GTXD | GTX660Ti | HX650 | 2xU2312HM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    zr1 will be priced right at or right under 100k from what a few sources say.

and from what i understand the gtr was using nicer than stock tires, but who knows, sooner or later im sure the car will be on top gear.

the z06 is an extremely nice ride imo. my brothers, albeit a c5 and not a c6 is one of the most comfortable rides i've been in, and the acceleration is rediculous (has a few nice little mods lol). it's smooth, the breaks are insane, the entire car almost makes me wet my pants in fear of what it can do. and a c6 z06 can probably put it to shame stock.

as soon as my brother gets used to the car, and gets some nittos, we plan to find a circuit track to take it to, i expect the car to smell like pee for a week.
    emptiness

Yes Top Gear dose seem to like the Z06 but this is also what Jermey said the car is good on track terrible on road and also he said "Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

Also i am sure the GTR will have better handeling i dont know why i just have a feeling, i also have feeling this car will beat the GTR in accelaration, and maybe thats enogh to make up for it... and if the ZR1 dose end up having better handling (which will be a shock to me) than i am going to say that the ZR1 will kill the Skyline, anyone know the price tag of the ZR1 tho?
    I would pay more attention to 5th Gear than Top Gear. Clarkson is very loose and free with his fact checking. He also seems to change his tune a lot. Not really a big deal if you understand that the show is more about entertainment than actually getting the facts right.

I'm not claiming the GTR won't handle better, only that the information presented does not support any claims that it will. Based on driving a C6 and a 350Z I would expect the Corvette to handle better but that's only based on comparing two lower line examples from each manufacture.

I do expect the GTR to have better lap times than a Z06 around a tight track because it likely doesn't come stock with run flats and because the 4WD system does help get the power down. I expect as the speed increases the Corvette's better power would help it more. I also suspect the light weight of the Corvette combined with it being 2WD might make for a more satisfying track car regardless of how fast it might be. This is kind of like how many people consider the Cayman to be more enjoyable on a track than a Carrara 4 simply because the Cayman moves more naturally (from what I've read).

In either case we are bench racing. We can try to apply some speculation to the bench racing but it’s just bench racing.

For trance565, Pinnacle and all Corvette enthusiasts..

This is my favorite Z06 web site: www.spdkilz.com

This guy's in So. Cal. He's got a twin turbocharged Z06.

A lot of videos about the Z06, including reviews by Top Gear and Fifth Gear.

Other good videos are Z06 vs. McLaren SLR. Z06 vs. Ford GT. Z06 vs. 997TT. Z06 vs. 996 TT X50. Etc. etc.

Check it out. Hope you guys like it.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice find IanY……….some nice Corvette's but that black SLR is just downright scary!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast