Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamic Energy Saver saves 12watts in one hour

I am Xtreme
    how about turning of your computer?

you save 150W+ in one hour.

Xtreme Guru
    Careful with the units...
    Dynamic Energy Saver saves 12watts in one hour
    12W savings per hour makes no sense. A desktop computer with, say, a 150W power draw draws 540kW in one hour (0.15kWh). Thus, if savings were 12W in one hour, the computer would consume only 540000W -12W = 539988W in that time?

Watts are per second.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Careful with the units... 12W savings per hour makes no sense. A desktop computer with, say, a 150W power draw draws 540kW in one hour (0.15kWh). Thus, if savings were 12W in one hour, the computer would consume only 540000W -12W = 539988W in that time?

Watts are per second.
    If you really want to get picky about it, it doesn't draw 540kW in one hour; it draws 540kJ (kilojoules). W = J/s, joules are a measurement of energy, watts are a measure of joules per second.

I think it's kind of cool

Xtreme Enthusiast
    is the correct unit in this case 12 watt-hours? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour)
    5-10% of total power draw?
    Last edited by hollo; 12-18-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollo View Post
    is the correct unit in this case 12 watt-hours? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt-hour)
    5-10% of total power draw?
    If you're talking about the energy that it saves in one hour, then yes, it would be 12 watt-hours. However, I think the simplest way is to say that it just saves 12watts.

It's like replacing a 100W light bulb with a 80W light bulb, the savings is 20W. You can say that it saves 20 watt-hours per hour, but that's just making things more complicated than they need to be.

*edit*
    The important thing to remember is that a watt is a measurement of how fast energy is used up. Whereas a joule, a watt-hour, and a kilowatt-hour, are measurements of energy.
    Last edited by raccoonone; 12-18-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think most user here wouldn't care about power consumption. If I wanted to save power I would just turn off my computer when I go out or when I sleep.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    I think the 4-phase option is what saves the power. 12 phase ensures stable power at higher loads, but probably at the expense of efficiency.
    if thats the case then this doesnt save power, it only wastes less power as long as this feature is enabled.

same as asus "energy processing unit".
    it doesnt save power, it merely reduces how much power is wasted to create vcore and reduces the pwm temps :P

c[_]
    how's it going to reduce PWM temps by pulling more power through fewer mosfets?

For example, say your CPU uses 150w at load and 50w idle.

with 12 phases active at 150w you are using 12.5w per phase.
    with 4 phases active at 50w you are using 12.5w per phase still.

If 3 phases or 2 are used while idle then you're increasing PWM temps for those specific phases and possibly quite substantially. Better hope the engineers and bios programmers paid attention to what they were doing or there's possibilities of mosfets and driver IC's burning up.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    iam all for more energy savings, I replaced every bulb in my folks house with sylvania 7w or 12w for the recesses track lighting, they shaved nearly 63$ off there normal bill. In a 5 bedroom house, they tend too leave almost all the lights on also, very wasteful they are. I unplug everything, turn all lights off almost, except my rigs..Even turn off the cable box when i sleep

anyway pretty off topic!

nice feature, but kinda of meek on savings
    ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12