Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Subs? 56K warning!

I am Xtreme

Show us your Subs? 56K warning!

JBL Sub12

That's Megaworks 650 Sub 6.1's that no longer work.
    Also still got a Sub leftover from my 560Z

Moded KLH in the back.
    Hausgemacht 12" Cerwin Vega that will become a 15" bass guitar Cab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    my current sub is a JBL PS120. Very plain looking, acoustic suspension(sealed), and its about 15 years old now. The grill isn't removable, so I'm just recycling an old pic. It goes down to 23Hz according to the specs, but it is a pretty fast sub and great with music. Havn't been able to find many reviews on it other than some listings on audioreview http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...0_2741crx.aspx

My previous sub before this was an Energy XL-S8. I think they are usually bundled with the original Energy Take 5 systems from 99/00'. Nice, fast little sub, but has trouble filling a room with the 8". Was pretty good for music & computer usage though.

And before that I used an Advent ASW1200. Super-budget $99 12" sub that doesn't go deep at all (33Hz for a 12" sub is pretty laughable ), and has an annoying as hell auto-turnoff feature that would kick in during quiet music or passages in movies. The volume required to keep the sub active was just too high and poorly thought out imo. This was my first sub that wasn't a computer sub, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I'll probably keep my PS120 for awhile since it sounds good with music and thats what I mostly use it for. Getting a very nice sub from SVS/Hsu would be a awesome, but I don't have the money to burn on that :P
    Last edited by Miwo; 12-11-2007 at 09:56 PM.

'Gaming' AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz | Asus M5A97 | 16GB DDR3 2133MHz | GTX760 2GB + Antec Kuhler620 mod | Crucial m4 64GB + WD Blue 2x1TB Str
    'HTPC' AMD A8-3820 @ 3.5GHz | Biostar TA75A+ | 4GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | Radeon 7950 3GB
    'Twitch' AMD 720BE @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P | 4GB DDR3 | Avermedia Game Broadcaster

Desktop Audio: Optical Out > Matrix mini DAC > Virtue Audio ONE.2 > Tannoy Reveal Monitors + Energy Encore 8 Sub
    HTPC: Optoma HD131XE Projector + Yamaha RX-V463 + 3.2 Speaker Setup

Xtreme Member

hm

My Yamaha YST-SW320 10" 250W RMS, still going strong

I am Xtreme
    My Venue Sub12 uses a newer version of that same speaker but at 25Hz instead. I'm not crazy enough to think this thing is Hi-Fi but its not far off
    This sub is small enough to be fast and big enough to go boom when Asked to. I got to sample this $175 free shipping sub at Best Buy. Best Buy still has it for $499 LOL! They were running it on the same receiver I own, an H/K 247. So when I saw this price, I jummmppppppeed on it!
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Cool deal, I get most of my stuff used, as hand-me-downs, or during heavily discounted sales. I have no problems buying used subs through Ebay granted they are in good condition and the seller has a good rating and communicates well. No sense paying full MSRP Often times you can get a high end, but older sub for a very decent price.

There seems to be a huge price premium when it comes to subs if you plan on going below 20Hz. An exception seems to be the Elemental Designs $350~ sub that goes down to 18Hz.....though i dont know how it fares with music. Either pay a lot, or DIY, which I may consider since I am getting more hands-on in terms of audio stuff lately.
    Last edited by Miwo; 12-12-2007 at 10:52 AM.

'Gaming' AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5GHz | Asus M5A97 | 16GB DDR3 2133MHz | GTX760 2GB + Antec Kuhler620 mod | Crucial m4 64GB + WD Blue 2x1TB Str
    'HTPC' AMD A8-3820 @ 3.5GHz | Biostar TA75A+ | 4GB DDR3 | Momentus XT 500GB | Radeon 7950 3GB
    'Twitch' AMD 720BE @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P | 4GB DDR3 | Avermedia Game Broadcaster

Desktop Audio: Optical Out > Matrix mini DAC > Virtue Audio ONE.2 > Tannoy Reveal Monitors + Energy Encore 8 Sub
    HTPC: Optoma HD131XE Projector + Yamaha RX-V463 + 3.2 Speaker Setup

Xtreme Cruncher
    OR-DSW 15" and my 14.1" laptop in comparison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize of IMG_9198.JPG 
Views:	1484 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	68634  

1200w dvc woofer, 1200w amp

I was worried about the glass in a classic car I was driving, and after that have been too lazy to put in any other vehicles I've owned.

Outside my car all you could hear was the trunk exterior rattle, but inside the car, it was a nice clean bass that would leave your body tingling when turned off

Xtreme Member
    I'm getting an Alpine Type R soon with a 600W Rocford Fosgate amp.

I'll post pictures when it arrives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Miwo View Post
    Cool deal, I get most of my stuff used, as hand-me-downs, or during heavily discounted sales. I have no problems buying used subs through Ebay granted they are in good condition and the seller has a good rating and communicates well. No sense paying full MSRP Often times you can get a high end, but older sub for a very decent price.

There seems to be a huge price premium when it comes to subs if you plan on going below 20Hz. An exception seems to be the Elemental Designs $350~ sub that goes down to 18Hz.....though i dont know how it fares with music. Either pay a lot, or DIY, which I may consider since I am getting more hands-on in terms of audio stuff lately.
    Same here, my Advent Prodigy 1008s on the rear cost me $37. The guy was selling me the Tweeter because the woofers (both) needed reforming. "Here's the tweeters, you can have the cabinets, don't need em". I refoamed them and learning how to recone LOL! My Infinity Studio Monitor 120's was an even better deal. Same problem. I got them for $54.50 after taxes, + $13 for the surrounds to refoam them. I wish I would have counted how many refoaming jobs I've done so far.

If you want low and fast, yea, you'll dish out a lot of money. I play bass guitar and many players love a mix of Multiple 10" accurate, like the Ampeg 8X 10" and a couple of 15 or 18" Cabs for Bottom to supplement it!

18Hz might be great for Movies, but I don't know of much stuff recorded that low music wise. I was told even the most bobastic Hip-Hop stuff is at 28 or so. No matter what some Audiophiles might say. That includes great source material like SACD, 200 grain Records and DVD-Audio. Don't get me wrong, a bud is doing infinite baffle with eight 15's made for that use as we speak. I love bass but I'm not like a Basshead like he is. Too much bass messes what the music should sound like.

Sure I'd love an 18" EV with a 1000W Dayton plate AMP. But, I don't have anywhere in my house to put it. This sub fits very nicely in my Computer room or my larger Den.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    For car audio I use an a/d/s/ 312rs.2 and a HiFonics Zeus 6400.

For Home I use no sub. I envy you guys who don't have neighbours on the other side of the wall to annoy

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    For car audio I use an a/d/s/ 312rs.2 and a HiFonics Zeus 6400.

For Home I use no sub. I envy you guys who don't have neighbours on the other side of the wall to annoy
    I hear ya' and feel your pain. Until 11 years ago, I was in the same boat. My car was my refuge from my apartment and then neighbors too close.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

c[_]
    Truck: 2x Kicker 10" L7 in 3.3ft^3 each... tuned around 25hz
    Clarion DPX1000.1 driving them @ 250w RMS each (8 ohm per channel)

Downstairs: 10" 100w RMS... forget make right now
    15" Cliff Designs in 4.2ft^3 box tuned ~28hz.

Amp for 15 is in the repair shop, double strapping the mosfets and replacing the ones that caught fire.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Truck: 2x Kicker 10" L7 in 3.3ft^3 each... tuned around 25hz
    Clarion DPX1000.1 driving them @ 250w RMS each (8 ohm per channel)

Downstairs: 10" 100w RMS... forget make right now
    15" Cliff Designs in 4.2ft^3 box tuned ~28hz.

Amp for 15 is in the repair shop, double strapping the mosfets and replacing the ones that caught fire.
    Post some PICs please?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

2 EHQS 12's in 25Hz Transmission lines with a 380W rms rhythmik audio plate amp
    Asus Striker Extreme, BIOS 1305
    Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.5Ghz
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB PC2-8500 1050Mhz 4448
    Zalman CNPS9700
    WD 2x250 7200rpm Raid0
    2xBFG 8800gt oc SLI
    OCZ 850W GameXStream PSU
    Raidmax Smilodon

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by styxnpicks View Post
    2 EHQS 12's in 25Hz Transmission lines with a 380W rms rhythmik audio plate amp
    Come on, post some or at least one Pic?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    No photos handy, sorry...

But one of my favorite subjects.

Here's my line-up, all designed and built by me.

Computer:
    Drive/Encloure: Adire Audio 15" Shiva, 6 ft^2, vented @ 22 Hz
    QSC 650 watt proaudio amp with Rane 4th order Xover with balanced interconnects.

Home Theater:
    Drive/Enclosure: Stryke HE15, 5 ft^2, twin 18" passive radiators tuned to 16 Hz
    Power: Crown K2 2000 watt proaudio amp
    Performance: Flat in-room to 14 Hz, >120 dB at listening position at 20 Hz. i.e. "The Earth Quake Machine"

Car:
    12" Shiva
    Cheapo 600 watt 'old school' analog amp
    Intel E8400.C0 "Wolfe"| 400x9 3600 Mhz @ 1.272 Vcore
    TT Sonic Tower | Dual 120mm Antec Fans | Silent Air @ 1200 RPM
    ASUS P5Q-E | BIOS 0610
    G.Skill F2-8000CL5-2GBPQ | 400 MHz (5-5-5-15) @ 2.0 V (? Auto)
    XFX 7800GT
    Wester Digital Raptor 74GB | Maxtor Maxline III 300GB | Seagate 7200.7 120GB
    Antec P-180 | Antec True Power 2.0 550W

Dell 2407 | Dell 2405

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by frankR View Post
    No photos handy, sorry...

But one of my favorite subjects.

Here's my line-up, all designed and built by me.

Computer:
    Drive/Encloure: Adire Audio 15" Shiva, 6 ft^2, vented @ 22 Hz
    QSC 650 watt proaudio amp with Rane 4th order Xover with balanced interconnects.

Home Theater:
    Drive/Enclosure: Stryke HE15, 5 ft^2, twin 18" passive radiators tuned to 16 Hz
    Power: Crown K2 2000 watt proaudio amp
    Performance: Flat in-room to 14 Hz, >120 dB at listening position at 20 Hz. i.e. "The Earth Quake Machine"

Car:
    12" Shiva
    Cheapo 600 watt 'old school' analog amp
    Crown K2, ummmmmmmmmm! Wipes drool off chin, anyway here some of my other stuff!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    wow, some great stuff you guys have there

I would not put my pc so close to those huge subs though
    CPU: Q9450 @3.6GHz (lapped) Cooling: Scythe Zipang (lapped)
    RAM: Mushkin (996580) 2x2gb XP2-6400 @5-5-5-15, DDR2-1080 Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula (Bios 0410), tRD=7
    GPU: EVGA GTX 280 @712/1512/2700 PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625 Optical Drive: LG Electronics GGC-H20L
    HDD:
    1x 160GB Intel X-25M G2, 1x VelociRaptor, 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB in 2x CM STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 cages
    Sound: Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP / Grace Design M903 Speakers: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Shure SE535, Ultrasone Pro 900 w/ custom cable & dual entry mod, HD 800
    Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 w/ 7x S-Flex SFF21F fans on 2x Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus controllers
    Monitor: NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3 OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by motopen1s View Post
    wow, some great stuff you guys have there

I would not put my pc so close to those huge subs though
    Those Subs/Bass Guitar speakers and 450W amp are downstairs in my Den, not Upstairs in my Computer Room. Up there I had JBL Sub120 about 6ft from my computer, first pic. I only use a small amp up stairs for Guitar and Bass.

My Den has the larger Sub and a Small one. I use either a small 10" for movies, my wife doesn't like it loud Loud for movies. That 15" sub is for me and my Bud's to Jam. Creed loves that 15" Sub BTW. I have a 200W Sony Center, a Set of Classic Optimus Mach Ones on the Front and some heavily modded Technics on the rear. The Technics have only the mid Range speaker and Cabinet leftover. They have MTX Road Thunder 15" and a Teledyne Horn Tweeter. The Tweeters came from some very nice speakers wrecked during a Tornado about two miles away. I was just lucky both are 8ohm
    Last edited by Donnie27; 01-04-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    lol, Donnie - it is a quite funny tweeters story indeed

you also have plenty of nice hardware to play around there with

recently I got sold to Hertz audio and thinking about upgrading my car sub (and amp) with one of those nice ML3000 subs (specs in pdf). Even a 10" model should do very well I think. Doesnt it look good?

Also that MLK 165 for the front pair would be a nice upgrade (though I already have a nice Canton speakers which do the job great...)
    CPU: Q9450 @3.6GHz (lapped) Cooling: Scythe Zipang (lapped)
    RAM: Mushkin (996580) 2x2gb XP2-6400 @5-5-5-15, DDR2-1080 Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula (Bios 0410), tRD=7
    GPU: EVGA GTX 280 @712/1512/2700 PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625 Optical Drive: LG Electronics GGC-H20L
    HDD:
    1x 160GB Intel X-25M G2, 1x VelociRaptor, 2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB in 2x CM STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 cages
    Sound: Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP / Grace Design M903 Speakers: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Shure SE535, Ultrasone Pro 900 w/ custom cable & dual entry mod, HD 800
    Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 w/ 7x S-Flex SFF21F fans on 2x Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus controllers
    Monitor: NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3 OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by motopen1s View Post
    lol, Donnie - it is a quite funny tweeters story indeed

you also have plenty of nice hardware to play around there with

recently I got sold to Hertz audio and thinking about upgrading my car sub (and amp) with one of those nice ML3000 subs (specs in pdf). Even a 10" model should do very well I think. Doesnt it look good?

Also that MLK 165 for the front pair would be a nice upgrade (though I already have a nice Canton speakers which do the job great...)
    LOL. thanks, I think

I still have a Car 12" Cerwin Vega DVC 4 ohm 150 RMS and 500W Peak Sub out in my Garage. Don't have anywhere to put it in my Pickup, hehehe! I have one left over 15" old school Pioneer as well. It's just like the one in the older sub!

I was stationed in Germany for 4 years. There were 3 Audio clubs I visited that was only second to women and beer. Sometimes all 3 together LOL! There, I heard more Hi-Fi than I've ever seen before. Then to top that off, the Germany Hi-Fi stores were nothing to turn your nose up at either. I can't list all of the B&O, B&W, Canton, Mags, Klipsch, A&R, Boston Acoustic, MAC and Phase Linear AMPs, Nak's, Phase Linear and DBX Range Expansion units? I still have my old Phase Linear NR/RE and Akai 635 Reel To Reel (barely works). I have a Pioneer CTF 1050 that was one the first directional Auto-Reverse Cassette Decks.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Sub of Logitech Z5500

Asus Maximus Formula // Q9550 // XFX Radeon HD 5850 BE // 2x 2Gb DDR1066 Patriot Viper // 2x HDs 80Gb Seagate SataII // LG W2353V // Samsung SH-S203B // Tuniq Tower 120 // Logitech MX Duo // Corsair 750W // Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty // Logitech Z5500 Digital // Fone Philips SHP2700 // Visus TV Xtreme
    Epox 9NPA+ Ultra // Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo // eVGA 9600GT //2x 1Gb DDR500 Corsair XMS LLPro // HD 80Gb Seagate SataII // Samsung 950b // LG GH20NS15 // Vcom H3 // OCZ 600W //
    PSP Slim CFW 5.50 GEN-D3 + Sandisk Video HD MSPD 8Gb + TV Tuner 1Seg + CAM + 100Gb de jogos

I am Xtreme
    I got a Project Sub I'll post when I get Time. I'm acquiring parts for a set of DIY speakers I'm building. I'll try to do Progress shots of both.

Later tonite I'll post shots of my old Logitech and Megaworks Subs.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme

Start of DIY kit.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    My DIY kit will be loosely based on these.

http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/swansm3.html

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast