Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad day for my wife (long post)

Hamster Powered

Bad day for my wife (long post)

Well today was what I would call a very bad day. My wife left this morning to go grocery shopping and to run a few errands. I receive a cell phone call from at approx. 10:20am crying telling me that she has been in a bad wreck. Some A$$hat did not stop at a red light and hit her from behind, twice!

She was on a forty-five mile an hour road and was coming to a stop at a red light in the middle lane when this jerk hit her from behind pushing her into a Chrysler Pacifica which she clipped on the left rear corner. She went into the left lane (four lane divided highway) and after going about forty feet he hit her again driving her into the left turn lane and causing her to hit a Ford Thunderbird in the drivers door at the door/fender.

Now this guy was driving a Land Rover Discovery and told the officer he was going approx thirty-five miles an hour. The police and the tow truck driver estimate his speed to be in excess of fifty miles an hour to do this much damage. He also told the Officer that he did not know what happened and he was talking to his passenger at the time of the wreck.

So I arrive on the scene twenty-five minutes after the wreck to see this carnage of four vehicles and my 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS in a mangled mess and my wife in the ambulance strapped to a board with her head immobilized to be taken to a trauma center.

A little history on the car. This is the nicest car that we have ever owned, when my daughter was born we made the decision for her to quit her job as a Rehab Teacher for the Blind and stay home with my daughter until she went to school. This decision put us between a rock and a hard place for many years and we still have never caught up but I would do the same thing again. My daughter is a very polite, well behaved, secure young woman and her mom being there made the difference. We bought this car in June and it was a one owner garage kept with 63,000 miles and looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. It has every bell and whistle and the older lady that owned it didn't even crease the leather seats from her light weight. This car was also a Certified Pre-Owned Toyota and really impressed me. There wasn't even corrosion on the wire terminal where the negative wire from the battery is attached to the motor casing. my wife searched for six months to find this car and she really loved it.

So they took my wife to the trauma center for multiple x-rays as my wife has some fused vertebrae in her neck/back. Thank God all the x-rays came back good but she is pretty banged up and is in a lot of pain but she is alive and that is all that matters. Cars can be replaced but with wife/friend of twenty-seven years can not.

So here are a couple of pictures of what the car looks like now...

Last edited by SiGfever; 12-09-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    My friend, my heart goes out to you and I think I speak for all of us that we're just happy that she's ok.
    WHEN she's better, give her a big hug from all of us please.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    Glad to hear your wife was not seriously injured. The police should cite the other person for reckless driving.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, that is really too bad that this happened to you guys man. It looks like it was a hard hit. I hope you get good insurance money for the car... is it totaled? And I really hope your wife turns out to be okay...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Glad to hear your wife was not seriously injured. The police should cite the other person for reckless driving.
    Thank you guys, I will pass on your well wishes to my wife. The driver WAS charged with reckless driving. And yes the car is totaled.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Dang Sig!

Very glad to hear the wife is OK.

-SS

I am Xtreme
    As I have a fuse spine myself I can relate to her pain, though can't imagine to have another accident only compounds the psychological aspect even more.

I can say, that yes I feel her pain and worry.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Legend
    I see a lot of drivers like that on the roads nowadays. They're either talking on their cell phones or reaching over to find something on the passenger side. I hope his insurance company nails him with much higher rates.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    Thank you guys, I will pass on your well wishes to my wife. The driver WAS charged with reckless driving. And yes the car is totaled.
    As long as he was cited at the scene you and your insurance company should have no issues.
    As to back injuries, had 2 disks and 2 vertabrae removed in 1971.
    Not fun but not the end of life either.
    She'll be ok and that I'm sure of..She's got you in her corner!

Edit: Sig is now all better..I PM'd him and offerred to call.
    You know what he replied?
    This:
    Last edited by Movieman; 12-08-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Wow dude! Im really glad she's ok I hope shes back up & kickn you in the a$$ soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Addict
    Thank goodness she wasn't seriously hurt! I hope she feels better soon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow so sad to hear about the car glad the wife is ok treat her like a queen while she in pain
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

I am Xtreme
    DAMN sig. I'm glad shes ok! Thats nuts! I'm speechless!
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

c[_]
    I just saw the top pic before I read anything or scrolled down and thought "damn, my brother totaled my parents van two days ago and it looks worse than that" but then I started reading...

Damn lucky there were not injuries!!

On side note my brother is fine as well so enough OT

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    I am sorry to hear this. The driver must have been going quite fast (actually its the relative speed difference that matters) for this kind of damage to happen.

I hope she recovers fast.

However, one thing struck my head in your post. Normally, I have read a couple of other threads on XS (real life incidents, etc.) 2-3 times I have had it seen it being explicitly mentioned that the people were "blacks homeboys", "black", etc. I am happy you didn't bring the "color" of the people involved into question here. Now don't attack me for expressing my views :P, for I am neither black, nor american.
    My work and bench rig:

i7 920 D0 3939B303 @ 4.2Ghz + ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 w/ 0006 BIOS + 6GB Corsair Dominators CL7 @ DDR3-1600 7-7-7-20-1T + Intel X25-M 80GB SSD G2 + Powercolor HD5870 1GB @ 900/1300 + Dell U2410 H-IPS 24" Screen (pics and more)

My review site: Erodov

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
    I am sorry to hear this. The driver must have been going quite fast (actually its the relative speed difference that matters) for this kind of damage to happen.

I hope she recovers fast.

However, one thing struck my head in your post. Normally, I have read a couple of other threads on XS (real life incidents, etc.) 2-3 times I have had it seen it being explicitly mentioned that the people were "blacks homeboys", "black", etc. I am happy you didn't bring the "color" of the people involved into question here. Now don't attack me for expressing my views :P, for I am neither black, nor american.
    The color of a person's skin does not matter, it is what they are made of that counts. Wouldn't it be very boring if we all looked alike.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Glad she's is ok, cars can be replaced, people can't. hearing about accidents like this makes me slightly less excited about getting my license soon.

No way he was going only 35 and caused that much damage
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    SUV > car that is the problem
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    dude, im sorry you lost your car, but happy your wife is ok. i know kinda how you feel, i almost lost mine this pass monday, was on my way to work and was about to get onto i-40 and the person in front of me had some a$$hat pull in front of him and he had to stop fast. i saw him stop and i hit my breaks, well because of a early morning rain storm, roads where slicker than $hit and well, my slide into the back of his Dodge 1500 truck, no damage was done to his, but mine, well it wasn't that lucky. it took some damage too the grill and hood. was able to straighten it out a bit, but the hood is still bowed a little still.

it seems this past week hasn't been good for alot of people, just yesterday morning was a bad morning for a lady here in NC. she was driving and flipped her suv and flipped head-on into a oncoming semi and was killed.

but again, glad your wife is ok. and your right, cars can be replaced easily, but our loved ones cant.
    Last edited by Lunchbox21984; 12-08-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Little Mean Red Machine:
    2008 Saturn Astra XR|Salsa Red|2dr Hatchback|1.8L 140HP 4cyl|5-Speed FWD
    Main Box:
    ABIT IP-35Pro XE|Intel C2Q 3.2GHz|Zalman 9900|4GB Corsair Dom. DDR21066|ATI 5770 |SB X-Fi XM|2x W.D.V.R. 300GB RAID 0|S.B. 320GB|2x TSSCORP SH-S223B|Antec P193|Antec TPQ 850W|2x Samsung SyncMaster P2350 HD 1080P|G15|MX1000&G5|Win7 RTM Pro X64
    Spare Box:
    ABIT IC7-G MaxII|Intel P4 3.2GHz|Zalman 7700CNPS-C|2GB OCZ HP DDR400|ATI 9800XT|W.D.C. 40GB|W.D.C. 250gb|Antec
    Neo480|WinXP Pro SP3

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    glad to hear she is alright, she will be much sorer tommorow. just remember that avalon gave it's life to protect your wife... it was built to crumple the way it did to absorb the energy.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    I'm glad to hear shes ok, wish her well from all of us.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

thats terrible news. idiot driver

best wishes to your better half

Xtreme Cruncher
    Holy Sh**, when i saw the images, i thought that ass hole was going for 60+. Hope your wife feels better.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme, Okay.
    I am happy she is ok. If there is anything we can do please let us know.

Take care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast