Thread: FAQ: Flash GPU BIOS From CD

Xtreme Enthusiast

FAQ: Flash GPU BIOS From CD

FLASH GPU BIOS FROM CD

Don't have a floppy or a thumb drive, and you still want to flash your GPU BIOS? Well here is a guide I put together to accomplish just that.

All flashes are at your own risk and I take no responsibility for any damage done. Knowledge on how to use NVflash and NiBiTor is assumed.

TOOLS NEEDED

- CD-RW Drive
    - Blank RW Disc
    - WinImage
    - ImgBurn
    - NiBiTor
    - nvflash.rar

STEPS

Download All Tools First

1 - Find a BIOS you want to flash your card with and backup your original BIOS with NiBitor. Have both files on the desktop. I will refer to them as flash.rom and original.rom

2 - Extract the file from the nvflash.rar archive to the desktop. This is a DOS image with nvflash preloaded onto it suitable for burning to a CD so it can boot into DOS. It opens with WinImage. Open it.

3 - Now that you have the file open you want to inject your BIOS files into it. You do this by going Image>Inject and selecting your BIOS files. It should look like this afterwards.

Go File>Save As and name it "boot" and MAKE SURE to save it as an IMA file type, it defaults to IMZ. Save it to desktop Create a New Folder on the desktop also named "boot" and move the IMA you just saved into it.

4 - Now open ImgBurn. At the top click Mode>Build then click the Advanced tab then click the Bootable Disc tab. You should be here.

Click Make Image Bootable for the Boot Image select the IMA you saved which is in the boot folder on your desktop. On the left under Source click the Folder Icon which is the third one down and below the magnifying glass. Select the "Boot" folder you have on the desktop. The one with the IMA in it.

It looks like this now.

Now click the folder -> CD icon at the bottom. Say Yes and OK to all the pop-ups. It then burns the IMA to your CD.

5 - Now go to your BIOS and set first boot device as CD ROM and restart. It will now boot from the CD into a DOS mode.

You can use nvflash as normal. If you want more BIOSES to flash from just inject more BIOS files in Step 3.

If you want a different version of nvflash just replace the nvflash file(s) in the nvflash.IMA

Happy Flashing!
    Last edited by BTK; 05-02-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    BTK is my initials if you were wondering.

i7 8700K - RTX 3090 - 32 GB RAM - ASUS PG35VQ

i5 8600K - GTX 1080ti - 16 GB RAM - ASUS PG27UQ

Xtreme Member
    Great stuff.

1 x Sticky vote
    920 c0
    6gig Mushkin 1600 6-7-6-18 (Many thanks to TheGoatEater)
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

all outta gum
    Very nice FAQ.
    You could also add flashing from USB stick since it's an easier and faster way, and USB stick is reusable while a CD is not. Also most benching rigs don't have a CD-ROM drive.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    Very nice FAQ.
    You could also add flashing from USB stick since it's an easier and faster way, and USB stick is reusable while a CD is not. Also most benching rigs don't have a CD-ROM drive.
    hmm i have no experience with usb sticks at all so i dont know

its not just for benching, for the average user who wants to flash maybe for like an 8800gt 1.1v mod
    BTK is my initials if you were wondering.

i7 8700K - RTX 3090 - 32 GB RAM - ASUS PG35VQ

i5 8600K - GTX 1080ti - 16 GB RAM - ASUS PG27UQ

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    hmm i have no experience with usb sticks at all so i dont know

its not just for benching, for the average user who wants to flash maybe for like an 8800gt 1.1v mod
    http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

That tool is good for making the pen drive bootable, then just add your roms + flash utility
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage