Thread: How many using Tec's with no sealing?

Xtreme Enthusiast

How many using Tec's with no sealing?

How many people are running tecs (Especially on GPU) that get cold enough so you don't have to condensate proof your card? I know Mr. Icee has done this, so has Opp I believe. I have changed my GPU cooling to a 172W tec and a Z-4 water block using the bottom plate from the MCW50-T as a cold plate. I run my coolant temps at -10c and use 1/2 in id lines. Since the change I am having a hard time with condensation. It ices up around the back side of the card and then melts around the edges. Even with neoprene it still is icing up. Pulled it all apart and I am redoing it, but wanted to get some second opinions.

Banned
    If you are getting ice on the back then your neoprene is not making good seal or is not covering enough area. Try some sealstring to hold the neoprene on and use a larger square .

Xtreme X.I.P.
    erm... if you get ice on your card you DO have a prob with condensation... sooner or later your card will die...

Banned
    if you want no sealing, you will have to fully protect the card using grease or spray the entire card. If your board is laid down flat, you will have to do the same for the board around the agp slot and nearby. If your board is set straight up, then it maybe not be much of issue.

Xtreme Addict
    well try this way.use a piece of neopreme on the top and i used a piece of plastic as a retainer.mine way running -27c all the time and never a sign of condensaton

here is a pic of my old modded r9700

Banned
    Nice!

Are your memory chips are being cooled too? How are they being cooled?

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by IamAnoobieCheez
    Nice!

Are your memory chips are being cooled too? How are they being cooled?
    they were being cooled with chilled coolant at -20c but it made no differance to memory speed so i removed them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Has anyone been having problems with not getting email notification of replies to their subscribed threads?
    Thanks for the reply's guys; I didn't think anyone had answered, because I never was notified. I ended up redoing my sealing of the block/pelt/cold-plate. I used 1/8" plex and enclosed the set-up after covering it with 1/2" neoprene. I used a hot glue gun to tack the neoprene onto the block, that way I could stretch it and get the tightest possible fit. If this thing leaks after this I am in big trouble.
    I then sprayed my card with KonForm SR conformal coating, let it dry and then coated with liquid electrical tape. I am going to use a 1/2" piece of neoprene to cover the back side, and I will probably use the liquid electrical tape to attach it. Now, I know someone is going to say that the liquiid electrical tape is going to cause certain componets on the card to heat up, but I air cool the case down to 45 F, so I really don't think it will effect it. This should definately solve my conddensation problems though.

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Nohto
    Has anyone been having problems with not getting email notification of replies to their subscribed threads?
    Thanks for the reply's guys; I didn't think anyone had answered, because I never was notified.
    well join the crowd.....i bet you use msn email...right or wrong.

i was getting ready to inform the other mods about the email problem when i figured out what was wrong with mine.....

it seams sometime over the weekend msn picked up all by itself the fourm emails and auto set them to junk email and has been filtering all my extreme notification.so i corrected it this morning and now i recieve email.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, I will check into this. Thanks Bowman.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WOW bowman nice video card cooling. That is quite impressive!
    P4C 3.2ghz @ 4ghz w/ Vapo LS
    Mush Level2 3500 2-2-2-5-8 @ 250 1:1
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    ATI Retail 9800p 128 510/396
    Dual WD Raptor HD's on RAID
    3DMark01 - 24,090
    SiliconSauce.com

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no diference in mem clockspeed at all? [o] _ [o] not even 5mhz?